New 1911's [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New 1911's

rsxr22
06-28-2010, 22:02
Hey guys,
Decided i would post some pics of my 2 most recent purchases. SA TRP AK and STI Spartan 9.

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu267/rsxr22/IMG_0286.jpg
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu267/rsxr22/IMG_0285.jpg

I have some upgrades planned in the near future.

The STI is going to be getting a techwell magwell and G-10 grips, new grip safety, and SVI medium flat trigger, SVI triglide sear and hammer. Once the crappy finish wears off Im going to have it refinished in a super black like the TRP.
The STI is an awesome shooter and fit is amazing for $609! Trigger is decent with a little creep but it is alright. The slide to frame fit is decent and it feels like the slide is on ball bearings when racking it. Much better than even its $1300 brother but im sure a lot of that attributes to the lighter recoil spring.

The TRP is going to be my project gun for awhile. I am super impressed by its reliability and fit. I personally feel that it is the best production 1911 on the market today. The first thing i did was replace the ILS MSH with a S&A and put in a lighter MS. I also had an extra EB barrel bushing so i decided to fit and throw that in. I am going to be getting the barrel crowned in the near future and swap out a lot of the internals for either EGW or C&S.

The grips on both of these guns will not be staying either. I love the VZ's i put on the Spartan but like i mentioned im going to go with a techwell magwell and grips. The VZ's i originally threw on the TRP when i got it from my Kimber SIS i traded in, but they didnt look right with the bevel cut grips and the magwell so i got some cheapo Ergo's to tide me over for a bit.
I will be putting some square cut operators back on it once i find the time.

BuckeyeBlast
06-28-2010, 22:09
Was there someplace specific you found that deal on the Spartan? I've really been eyeing that heavily lately, but that freakin' money thing gets in the way. Would you say that it's a good 9mm 1911 for the money? Is there a better one for less? (that's about the upper limit of my budget)

rsxr22
06-28-2010, 22:17
i found mine at oak hill enterprises in PA. I went on GB and saw one for sale and contacted him. You could make a call, he might be able to get you one. If not go to dawson precision, shooters connection, or brazo's and backorder one. They have good prices as well and are also the 3 largest STI stocking dealers so you should get it relatively quick, but i wouldnt wait and try to hunt one down. In my experience STI's are relatively rare and tough to get for some reason they just are not as popular as Kimbers and SA..

The spartan is amazing!!! Like i said the only downfall is the finish is weak but that is to be expected. Your other options are RIA or Taurus and many people feel that RIA's are a good deal but i have never had good experiences with them and i have nothing positive to say about anything taurus makes besides their revolvers.

armslist
06-28-2010, 22:43
You want to sell the grips from the STI? They look rough like griptape, I want a set.

rsxr22
06-28-2010, 23:35
are you referring to the ones on the TRP in the photo? If so, those are not the STI grips, those are Ergo grips and cost $24. They are decent for the money but nothing special.

GVFlyer
06-28-2010, 23:49
I like 'em both. Congrats.

Cobra64
06-29-2010, 01:45
Very nice, congrats! :cool:

bac1023
06-29-2010, 03:10
Congrats! :cool:

I own and like both of those. You have two good 1911s there. :)

Tactical black
06-29-2010, 06:47
Congrats they look nice...

rsxr22
06-29-2010, 13:51
Thanks everyone!!!

And of course you own them BAC! lol It would be extremely tough for me to buy one that you dont have. Maybe a DW? Or do you have all of those too?

okie
06-29-2010, 13:52
Damn, nice my friend:thumbsup:

bac1023
06-29-2010, 13:59
Thanks everyone!!!

And of course you own them BAC! lol It would be extremely tough for me to buy one that you dont have. Maybe a DW? Or do you have all of those too?

:rofl:

Its easy to buy one I don't have, just get one with a smaller frame. ;)

As for Dan Wesson, I own a CBOB and Valor, so far from all of them. :)

reminiz
06-29-2010, 14:01
Thanks everyone!!!

unless I missed an update (very possible) you might be able to get away with buying a Remington R1. I don't think Bac physically has one yet.:whistling:

bac1023
06-29-2010, 14:06
unless I missed an update (very possible) you might be able to get away with buying a Remington R1. I don't think Bac physically has one yet.:whistling:

Very true.

I don't have one yet. I decided to put it off until later this year, maybe October or so.

Besides that, my dealer still hasn't had one yet. :)