45 Cal. Win Ranger T [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 45 Cal. Win Ranger T

ColCol
06-29-2010, 17:32
Winchester has the RA45T 230 gr and +P version, RA45TP with about a 90 fps difference...does it really matter?

drc767
06-29-2010, 17:58
In a 5" gun, it will not make much of a difference in anything except felt recoil and follow up shot accuracy because of the recoil increase. The increase in velocity won't change things a whole lot.

9mm +p+
06-30-2010, 00:21
Agreed, that's why I went with the standard pressure T's for my 45's.

fastbolt
06-30-2010, 10:02
Advantage of an extra potential 90 fps?

Any potential issue with inconsistent bullet manufacture, such as a dulling cutter used to make the jacket petal notches & cuts (which might adversely affect expansion) might be helped by the extra velocity ... or, it might help offset potential velocity loss resulting from having to overcome an unexpected intermediate barrier.

Disadvantages?

Accelerated wear & tear and potential adverse effect upon recoil management, controllability and recovery between shots. Also, the specific firearm in which the +P ammunition is intended to be used should cheeked to make sure the manufacturer recommends its use.

Now, while it's not exactly unknown for automated, computer controlled production equipment to fail to catch a dulling cutting component, or to have an unexpected intermediate barrier come between the bullet and the intended target, the extra recoil & muzzle blast are going to be present with each and every shot. This potential trade-off needs to be considered by each and every shooter.

I've seen some shooters apparently not affected by .45 +P recoil, and then I've seen some that were noticeably affected.

BFN
06-30-2010, 10:24
A couple of weeks ago I alternated Win Ranger +P 230gr and standard ball 230gr (WWB, S&B, Speer LM). I used both a Colt govt 1911 and a Springfield 6" Longslide. While I did notice the difference, it was slight and would have only a millisecond difference in recovery. These are full weight steel guns, with the <30 oz polymer framed 45's the recoil would probably be more noticable with +P.

The +P's are a hoot to shoot in the Longslide, they probably get around 1000 FPS. I believe the +P would give a very slight edge over standard velocity for JHP in a SD situation, although this is just my 2 cent opinion that I can't prove. I use either FMJ or +P JHP for SD, and feel comfortable with both. The +P will wear out a pistol more quickly.

PghJim
06-30-2010, 18:52
I use it in my 4" guns and get the same velocity as I get out of the 5" gun with standard pressure Ranger T's. A question I have always wondered is if the 4" gun and the 5" gun weigh the same. And the same bullet is exiting the barrels at the same velocity would there be any difference in felt recoil because the load in the 4" gun is a +p?

cowboy1964
06-30-2010, 19:58
90 fps more in .45ACP is nothing to sneeze at. That's almost 10%.

For comparison, the difference between Gold Dot 9mm 124 and 124+P is only 70 fps (about 7%) yet I think most people would agree the +P is more effective. Slight increases in velocity yield big increases in energy.

ColCol
06-30-2010, 20:34
I have some standard 230 gr Ranger T ammo and thought I'd get a couple boxes of the +P version just to try. For the most part, they'll be used in a S&W 4566TSW which I think can handle it about as well as anything. My 4506 would handle CorBon 185 and 200 gr superbly so, it's little brother shoud do likewise...both are stainless.

beforeobamabans
07-01-2010, 11:54
I like RA45TP and have no problem shooting it. I'll take the extra energy. Not worried about wear and tear on a Glock since 45acp pressures are so low to start with.

samuse
07-04-2010, 08:22
I have a G-21sf stuffed with the +ps. I shot a couple mags at the range to test function and I couldn't really tell a difference.

ColCol
07-04-2010, 10:52
The Ranger T +P rounds wouldn't be something I carried to the range for target practice-just shoot enough to confirm reliability and accuracy and then only an occasional mag full now and then. The standard pressure 230 gr Rangers do well and I assume so will the +P version but, I just ordered a couple boxes to see.