Slide release method [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Slide release method

jack76590
06-29-2010, 17:44
What method of slide release do you favor, when there is a need to load fast? I like the method, I think was favored by Jeff Cooper. Put in mag with weak hand, slam mag home and then use weak hand thumb to release slide by pressing down on slide stop lever. I find that using same hand to insert mag and press slide release lever is both positive and prevents being fast on the slide release lever and slow on mag insert, that can occur when people use strong hand thumb to press slide release lever.

I also find this method allows me to keep my focus on target better and that sling shoot or over hand release can block my view of target.

If I have to pull back on slide I like sling shot rather than overhand for two reasons - no chance of blocking ejection port with hand and no chance of engaging hammer drop/safety on guns like berettas and smiths.

I will use overhand, if I need power grip, as in case of jammed slide.

This is one of those question, I believe, that can get a variety of opinions similar to tactical reload question.

Mas Ayoob
06-29-2010, 19:30
I'm in your corner for my own needs, bro, but as you note it's a topic of heated debate.

At the end of the day, though, if the shooter has a system that works swiftly and positively for him or her, I'm happy with it.

Celebrating diversity and all that,

Mas

jack76590
06-29-2010, 19:50
Thanks. Glad I have your support for system I use. The only real problem I have with this system is with SIGs. SIG has their hammer drop levers right where Smith, glock, 1911, ruger, beretta and others have their slide release lever.

Everytime I go to load a SIG I am pressing down on the hammer drop and have forgotten to move my thumb farther to the rear.