It's awfully quiet here. To the range tomorrow... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : It's awfully quiet here. To the range tomorrow...

jeffreybehr
06-30-2010, 01:14
...with my 1st Big-10 reloads, assembled in only 40 (not .40!) cases. Am trying A7, 800-X, and Longshot for starters.

Probably will stop at Cabela's for more of those expensive Hornady 180XTP cartridges. The 500 new cases I bought can't get here soon enough.

Those Hornadys and the 20SF performed perfectly today in the 20SF's baptism of fire.

Hogpauls
07-02-2010, 13:56
I've been using Unique for plinking and started using 800X for a woods load in my 20SF. The 800X is much more snappy than the Unique. How's the A7 and Longshot working out for you? What are you topping it off with?

I have a couple of boxes of the Hornady 180 XTP and picked up a couple boxes of the Winchester 175 grn silvertip (on sale at Cabelas) to compare but haven't had the time to get out to the range.

What holster are you using to carry your 20SF?
Have fun!

Maine1
07-02-2010, 18:31
...that's cuz i have been renering wheel weights for cast bullets!

waiting on my XTP's too..

jeffreybehr
07-02-2010, 18:48
Hogpauls--
1. No holster; I carry it in a Tommy's Gunpacks belly bag. http://www.tommysgunpack.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k220/jeffreybehr/Shooting%20stuff/Tommysbellbagon_1000w.jpg
I have a bunch of them, all size large, to match the colors of my trousers. I have a Blackhawk CQC holster (#2100221) for my former 38 that filts my 37 very well too, and I just determined that it correctly fits the 20SF, too.

2. Bullet has been the XTP 155 throughout. I really like this bullet and had a bunch left from my .40S&W days. I also have some 155g. plated bullets that I'll use for practice when I get around to those, and I hope to use some of the MANY pounds of Universal I have. :whistling:

3. I've shot my 3rd strings today and have just cracked the 1300FPS floor with a couple loads. (I had tabulated all the 155g. and 165g. maximum loads from known-good sources/manuals, calculated the average max. load, and started 15% below that, so it's been going slowly.) Today I shot my first bughole with the Big-10, 0.5" CtC at 10 yards from a rest, using A7 at almost 1300FPS. Will be back out there tomorrow with another batch of this stuff. Average group sizes are NOT significantly different among the 3 powders' loads, differing only 0.2" at 10 yards. Longshot is yielding the highest standard deviations but not the largest average group sizes. So far I've shot 210 reloads using mostly the Hornady brass, but I found about 40 Federal cases the other day. I have 500 new Starlines coming.

I'm really enjoying shooting the 20SF, altho it's not quite as comfortable initially as my compact 32 with Pearce pinky mag extenders.

I'm not sure how to be rational about this, but I'm experiencing some pleasure at being back to .40-caliber bullets. (I started my Glock career with a model 35.)

I've ordered a 5.15" LW barrel for it, which will fit my bellybag just finely and I guess will look like my 32 but slightly larger.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k220/jeffreybehr/Glock%2032/32w45barrellite_1000w.jpg
----------------------------------------

I have no idea why the pics from Photobucket aren't working; maybe they'll do that, magically, soon.

jeffreybehr
07-05-2010, 21:26
An end of sorts and more beginnings--

1. Have quit on 800X--its loads' standard deviations are significantly--as in double and more--higher than those from A7 and Longshot.

2. Finally found some A9 in town; will be trying that.

3. The 500 new Starline cases s/b here tomorrow--DAMN those holidays!!!!!--as well as...

4. ...the 5.15" LW barrel.

Have shot 575 cartridges...100 new Hornadys and 475 reloads...from this 20SF and ALL have functioned perfectly. Have gotten (10') velocities with Longshot to just over 1300FPS and with A7 to almost 1400. Primers look about the same as from the Hornady factory loads, not that means much with pistol cartridges, and cases still have tight primer pockets after 5 reloads.

Haven't fired it much off-hand, but if its recoil with these hot reloads isn't worse than when shooting from a benchrest, this is going to be a plenty fine, if a bit large, carry gun. Fits just finely in my Tommy's Gunpacks.

srt-4_jon
07-05-2010, 23:35
Mind sharing your loads for the longshot and the 155gr bullets?

jeffreybehr
07-06-2010, 01:03
Mind sharing your loads for the longshot and the 155gr bullets?

Not at all. Mixed Hornady and Federal ('F C') cases, CCI300 primers, Hornady 155g. XTP bullets, OAL of 1.250 - 1.255", and stock 4.6" barrel. Started at 8.6g. (= c. 1190FPS) and worked up to 10.8g. for c. 1310FPS.

BTW the corresponding details with A7 are 11.3g. and 1150FPS and 13.8g. and 1390+FPS.

Will be working on both of the above plus A9, all in the 5.15" barrel, the next few days.

If I were loading for a rifle, I'd have reliable excessive-pressure indicators to observe, but all I can do now is look at the flatness of primers. I'm half tempted to take a micrometer with me next time to measure possible casehead expansions. But I'm sure I won't do that.

I'll be quite glad to get the new StarLine cases, as I prefer assembling my real carry ammo in new stuff.

Life is good. :embarassed:

jeffreybehr
07-06-2010, 20:44
Based on small samples of existing loads using Longshot and A7, the new barrel produces velocities 90 - 100FPS higher than those from the stock 4.6" barrel. That's sure more than I expected; I'll create more data tomorrow to compare.

Taterhead
07-10-2010, 23:41
Not at all. Mixed Hornady and Federal ('F C') cases, CCI300 primers, Hornady 155g. XTP bullets, OAL of 1.250 - 1.255", and stock 4.6" barrel. Started at 8.6g. (= c. 1190FPS) and worked up to 10.8g. for c. 1310FPS.

BTW the corresponding details with A7 are 11.3g. and 1150FPS and 13.8g. and 1390+FPS.

Will be working on both of the above plus A9, all in the 5.15" barrel, the next few days.

If I were loading for a rifle, I'd have reliable excessive-pressure indicators to observe, but all I can do now is look at the flatness of primers. I'm half tempted to take a micrometer with me next time to measure possible casehead expansions. But I'm sure I won't do that.

Life is good. :embarassed:

Life is good!

In my experience with handloading, primer conditition is an unreliable indicator of excess pressure. I have observed normal primer conditions while max case expansion about the pressure band indicated excess pressures. Case measurement is an important part of my evaluation of pressure conditions. But the pressure band is probably a better area to measure than the case head. You'll likely find the largest expansion there.

Since you are going to be working with Starline brass, you may consider buying a box of Buffalo Bore. They are, no doubt, right near max and they also use Starline brass. Shoot them. The case expansion measurements of Buffalo Bore loads would be a decent data point (but not the only) for your load workups. I measure every case for expansion during workups. It is interesting to see the trend of case expansion from start to max. You'll get to know when you are at max for your chamber.

If using different barrels, then these steps would need to be repeated for both.