Have a question about weapon accessories... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Have a question about weapon accessories...

durabo
06-30-2010, 08:30
Hi Guys!

You might have seen in the main military thread I'm writing some articles for a major Military website about Gear and Kit.

I got the tip from M1A shooter that he felt the standard A2 rifle grip was uncomfortable and didn't allow proper trigger control, and suggested that different style grips would be beneficial to our troops.

Being that I am not IN the Military I have been finding it difficult to get too much info on the weapons systems currently in use.

I was wondering if some of you guys could give me some information.

The A2 is the issued pistol grip correct?

That goes for the M16, and the M4?

Are troops currently allowed to change out the grips to aftermarket ones?

Would you feel that the Magpul MIAD grip would be a viable alternative, because you can change out to different grip styles and sizes?

Anyone who has any info on this, or any viable civilian alternatives/upgrades that would help our troops please let me know!

Thanks!

Jeff82
06-30-2010, 10:00
The A2 is the issued pistol grip correct?
The A2 grip is the current grip on the M16/M4 weapons. It is not "issued."
It is a part of the weapon, which is issued.

Are troops currently allowed to change out the grips to aftermarket ones?
No. Removal of the pistol grip is not "user level" maintenance.

Would you feel that the Magpul MIAD grip would be a viable alternative, because you can change out to different grip styles and sizes?
No. Not for the typical rifleman. It would become a expensive logistical nightmare. We are not trying to turn out target shooters, we are turning out combat shooters. Big difference.

durabo
06-30-2010, 11:08
The A2 grip is the current grip on the M16/M4 weapons. It is not "issued."
It is a part of the weapon, which is issued.

No. Removal of the pistol grip is not "user level" maintenance.

No. Not for the typical rifleman. It would become a expensive logistical nightmare. We are not trying to turn out target shooters, we are turning out combat shooters. Big difference.

Awesome. This was exactly what i was looking for. Thanks.

If anyone else has anything they want to add i'll be checking this throughout the day.

Thanks

MrMurphy
07-03-2010, 00:06
1. If you're not prior service and have no experience on the subject you are a No Go at this station.

2. There are better forums to ask these questions, but given your level of inexperience you would be monkeystomped by experienced operational types ranging from guys like me up to senior Special Forces and infantry troops and officers, among others. It would not be pleasant.

3. The A2 grip does fine for most people. As most of us did/do wear gloves nowdays the little annoying gap at the base is a non-issue (at least in my experience in carrying an M4 every day for 3 years, and an M16 on and off over a decade).

The grip angle is just fine. it has not changed in forty years. Any M14 shooter commenting on the M16 has already failed. Someone familiar with both weapons systems has a better clue. I've got reasonable time on the M1/M14 and for a conventional rifle stock, the grip angle works. The M16 does not have a conventional rifle stock and the grip angle vs trigger control is just fine.

With AR derivatives using the same basic ergonomics shooting under 0.5" groups (depending on the rifle) is capable.

The MIAD honestly would be overkill for most troops as they would never notice the difference. Those who do and would, have the clearance to change out what they need to at the user/armorer level and nobody says squat.

The MOE from MagPul, as a more basic grip, but without the annoying finger-wedge-thing at the front like the A2 has, would be nice, but as previously stated, i'd rather they spent the money on more training and optics and lights and all that.

The Maggy
07-23-2010, 21:53
I served with people that changed out their grips and all of that. They looked cool but they never shot any better. You have to keep in mind that a large number of people in the military have very little trigger time before joining, that goes for combat and support MOS. As a private, you could have issued me twenty different grips and it would not have made a difference to me.

I personally feel that the biggest hurdle for shooting in the military today is adjusting to the weight and odd shapes of everything issued. Carrying an assortment of gear puts your body in unnatural and uncomfortable shooting positions. Something as simple as shooting from the prone or shooting from a knee becomes awkward and no ammount of added gear can really change that, only training.

Smokey387
07-25-2010, 17:40
When I served you were issued a weapon and it was very basic M-16/M4 no bells no whistles, i see that today they have red dot scopes and holographic sights and all kinds of toys added to there weapons. i wish we had that stuff when i was serving.