Normal wear? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Normal wear?

Kyle1886
06-30-2010, 10:50
Two questions.

I purchased a new G22 .40 (generation 3) a while back I have 150 rounds through it. After the last range trip, when cleaning the firearm I noticed "chipping" on the outer edge of the polymer frame under the slide. The "chipping" on the edge is more on the outer right side just forward of the take down wings of the slide stop. There is very minor chipping on the left side. The recoil spring is/was properly seated, besides there is at least 1/32 of an inch clearance between the slide and the frame. Is it normal or abnormal wear? I ask a friend on another forum and he thinks it is probably normal wear.

I would like to have replacement parts on hand should somthing break/wear out. Other than recoil spring, what other parts are more likely to need replacing in the short run?

Thank you.

Respectfully
Kyle

FLSlim
06-30-2010, 13:17
Kyle, I'm not positive that I understand the area you refer to, but my G23 shows no wear along the top of the frame. This is after 1000+ rounds. Sorry I can't help more, but I'm sure some more Glock-experienced readers will chime in.

Kyle1886
06-30-2010, 17:21
Thanks FLSlim. I tried taking pics but even in the macro mode too fuzzy to be of any help. I just took an emery board (fine) and knocked down the edge and buffed with with extra fine sand paper. Anyway it's the area forward of the slide stop just above the trigger guard and under the slide guide, outer edge of the frame.

Thanks
Kyle

FLSlim
07-02-2010, 08:16
I wish you had gotten some other reply. While my 40 is a G23, it shows no wear in the areas you indicated. I suggest you repost your question at GATE Glock Pistol Forum. JR is quite knowledgeable. If you can't get an adequate response, and if the wear shows up again, I would call or email Glock (try to get pictures to send along) and see if they think this is normal break-in or there is an issue with function.

Kyle1886
07-02-2010, 14:58
FLSlim, I took the Glock back to the store I purchased the arm from and spoke to the Smithy there. He said it is not normal wear, however can see no reason for the dings. There is plenty of clearance between the slide and frame. Unfortunately, I did too good of a job buffing out the chipping. He could clearly see the areas of concern but suggested I take it back to the range and put a hundred or so more rounds through it to see if the chipping continues. If so they will send it to Glock.

Thanks for your feed back.

Kyle

vmann
07-03-2010, 09:21
take some pics and post it over in the general glocking forum to get more exposure from the experts...

FLSlim
07-04-2010, 12:53
Good luck with it, Kyle.

Kyle1886
07-08-2010, 11:25
I took the Glock-22 back to the range as the dealers Smithy suggested. Again, there was more chipping of the polymer on the outside edges of the frame under the slide. I took it back to the Smithy for "show and tell" this morning. The G-22 is being returned to Glock by the dealer. He said the turn-around time is usually about a month to two months during the summer. Does that sound about right?

The Smithy also stated that he has never seen a polymer frame chip like that, although Glock may consider the chipping "cosmetic" and not a structural or function problem. (Gen 3 with a birth date in March or May, 2009).

Stay safe

Kyle

FLSlim
07-12-2010, 05:50
Seems like a long turn around! Why don't you call or email Glock and explain the situation, maybe they can expedite???

40 Cal Joe
08-26-2010, 11:34
Kyle, glad to hear Glock is taking care of it. We have 3 Glock 40's including a 22, and the only "chipping" I am seeing is on the slide lock lever.

Do you have some pictures to post? Hope it gets resolved for you.

Kyle1886
08-27-2010, 11:51
40 Cal Joe, I just got my G22 back from Glock. "We cannot duplicate the chipping, so it must be something you are doing or a holster causing the damage." Since the firearm hasn't been holstered, that is not the cause. It came back as sent. (I have no idea how many rounds Glock "tested" it with. Sooooo, I'll just buff out the "chips" more and enjoy shooting it. Shoots great---so far.

Kyle