Colt Commander Opinons Wanted [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colt Commander Opinons Wanted

Magus
06-30-2010, 17:36
My local dealer has a stainless Commander. It is used and it's one of the newer S80 models.

Has the idiot scratch on it, which really bugs me, but I guess it's possible to buff it off. To the left of the chamber on top of the slide is some sort of black looking scuff mark. I think that too might buff off. Some very minor cosmetic scratches here and there...pretty normal for a stainless finish. Looks pretty good overall despite the few things I mentioned.

Doesn't appear to have been fired much. Just looks like it was owned by some scrub or someone who just didn't take care of their guns. The case looks pretty battered too as evidence.

Asking price is $625.

I'm considering it provided I can field strip it and get a good look at it.

What say you...good deal...bad deal? May not have the funds right now anyway, just made a purchase yesterday, but this one caught my eye and I'm a sucker for a Colt. If it's still there this weekend, I'll consider it meant to be.

Chonny
06-30-2010, 17:38
Id be cautiously optimistic.

Ruggles
06-30-2010, 17:40
Not a bad price IMO. If it is calling to you (which it appears to be) you gonna get it anyways so why wait till the weekend? :)

glock2740
06-30-2010, 17:56
If it is calling to you (which it appears to be) you gonna get it anyways so why wait till the weekend? :)
Boy, if I could count the guns that I now own, after some little voice in my head uttured those words. :rofl:

bac1023
06-30-2010, 20:42
Price is OK, but its hard to tell without seeing the gun.

paul45
07-01-2010, 05:55
Think of it this way.... you can get it for approx. 200 bucks less than a new one. So perhaps that idiot scratch doesn't seem too bad.

Monte#2
07-01-2010, 07:09
If its a few cosmetic blemishes, that is not a bad price. But definitely get a chance to strip it and take a look. As we all know...sometimes cosmetic issues are just that...but sometimes they are a tell of other "mistreatment" of someone who doesn't take care of their equipment. If I am buying a used firearm in-store...I always strip it first.

Magus
07-02-2010, 17:02
I'll probably go by tomorrow morning and take another look....if it's still there.

The exterior blemishes I'm fairly confident I can fix. I'm going to field strip it though to get a better look at the guts.

Money is tight right now so I'd probably have to do a trade if I wanted to get it right now. Otherwise it would have to be a layaway situation....which I've personally never done and wouldn't want to do unless I have to. I do have an item in the collection that I was excited about initially when I got it, but now...not so much...so it's kinda on the chopping block potentially.

Would make a pretty good carry gun if all checks out on it after a thorough inspection. Like I said though, I don't know if it's even still there...haven't had the heart to call and find out...will find out tomorrow though most likely. If it is, I'll probably consider it one of those meant to be situations. :supergrin:

den888
07-02-2010, 19:48
Good price, but inspect the pistol first.

Tactical black
07-02-2010, 22:04
That's funny I was just looking at a series 80 ss colt commander today and the guy told me he would sell for $550.00 he needs the cash real bad and I was wondering if it was a good deal it's probably in 85% condition it has a few small scuff marks with a little holster wear is that sound like a fair price?

Magus
07-03-2010, 11:01
Guess I won't know anything til' Monday now. Drove all the way out to my dealers shop this morning to find that they were closed today in observance of Independence Day...dangit....was all ready to possibly make a deal today. Oh well, not gonna complain about someone observing Independence Day.....gives me more time to think it over.

Think I'll just call Monday morning and see if he still has it and if he'd be kind enough to set it aside for me so I can get another look at it. Hoping it all works out, because I've got some vacation time Tuesday through Friday next week and it would be nice to get some shooting time in! :rock:

Magus
07-06-2010, 10:31
Alas, I missed the boat.

Went by Monday afternoon and not terribly surprising the Colt Commander was gone. :crying:

They told me it sold the very next day. Oh well, guess it was not meant to be...and honestly, I'm fine with it. Given the idiot scratch plus the scuff on the top of the slide, I was unsure about this gun, so I'm thinking it was for the best. There will be other Colt's.