Apple Time Capsule [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Apple Time Capsule

wrenrj1
06-30-2010, 18:14
Having purchased an iMac in the past few months, I want to upgrade my Linksys router to an Apple 1TB Time Capsule router with backup. I've been reading the reviews on this product, and to say the least the reviews are not impressive.

Most state the router craps out at about 18-months, however Apple released a new generation (Gen 4) of this product in February. Any comments good and bad on this product would be appreciated, or are there some alternatives out there as well. Thanks.

RTmarc
07-01-2010, 15:58
Having purchased an iMac in the past few months, I want to upgrade my Linksys router to an Apple 1TB Time Capsule router with backup. I've been reading the reviews on this product, and to say the least the reviews are not impressive.

Most state the router craps out at about 18-months, however Apple released a new generation (Gen 4) of this product in February. Any comments good and bad on this product would be appreciated, or are there some alternatives out there as well. Thanks.

The Time Capsule is a pile of crap. If you want that type of functionality buy the AirPort Extreme and get a large volume external USB hard drive. It works much better.

wrenrj1
07-01-2010, 18:25
What about it is a pile of crap? Have you owned one? Just trying to find out if it's the Hard Drive or the router that you have issues with. I have been looking at external HD's as well, but like the wireless back up this provides on my iMac and potentially other computers we use.

RTmarc
07-01-2010, 20:58
What about it is a pile of crap? Have you owned one? Just trying to find out if it's the Hard Drive or the router that you have issues with. I have been looking at external HD's as well, but like the wireless back up this provides on my iMac and potentially other computers we use.

I did have one a while back and it didn't last very long. Overheating was a major issue and one that I ended up facing. I ended up getting the AirPort Extreme after that bit the dust and I bouht an external USB drive and plugged into the AE. Same functionality as Time Capsule for less money and has since been rock solid.

wrenrj1
07-02-2010, 09:38
I did have one a while back and it didn't last very long. Overheating was a major issue and one that I ended up facing. I ended up getting the AirPort Extreme after that bit the dust and I bouht an external USB drive and plugged into the AE. Same functionality as Time Capsule for less money and has since been rock solid.

I'm hitting the Apple store tomorrow, I'll look in to your option.

checkyoursix
07-05-2010, 21:09
I'm hitting the Apple store tomorrow, I'll look in to your option.

I second the recommendation. The Airport has Been extremely reliable for me, and it works flawlessly with external drives. I would recommend backing up with SuperDuper rather than time machine, because SD backs up your entire HD, not only documents and media files. In case of of a failure you will restore your apps, preferences, bookmarks, etc. Another reason to skip the integration and just use the router.

DreamWeaver88
07-05-2010, 21:46
I currently use a 500GB Time Capsule. I do my backups manually, so it isn't always running. It's been perfect so far. It's well over a year old now.

DW

wrenrj1
07-06-2010, 18:34
I ended buying a WD My Book 2TB Hard Drive for Mac. Seems to work ok so far. It automatically backs up IAW Time Capsule. It works in the background so I'm not sure how it's doing. I know it did a backup just prior to a software update a few minutes ago when I had to restart. I'm not all that used to the file structure with Mac's just yet in finding files, drives etc. to see if files are actually on the drive. That's the trust but verify in me...

AmericanGunWorks
07-17-2010, 13:47
I also like an apple extreme router with usb harddrive. The only problem I have found with that is when doing a time machine backup this way it makes it into a sparse bundle instead of just putting the files on there regularly.

For this reason I have a 2TB attached hd directly to my imac soley for timemachine.