Traveling out of state with suppressor? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Traveling out of state with suppressor?

DARKSHADOW
06-30-2010, 19:23
Ok, on the ATF form 5320.20 there is no mention of suppressors in the instructions on the back. It list DD, MG, SBR, SBS, but no suppressors.
I tried calling the ATF, and all I got was an answering machine and I left a message with my cell number. No reply.

Can someone tell me if I need to use the form 5320.20 to travel out of state with my suppressor's? Or, is there another form? :dunno:

Edit to Add:

Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain National Firearms Act (NFA) Firearms
Instructions
a. A written request and prior authorization from ATF to transport interstate or in foreign commerce any destructive device, machinegun, short-barreled rifle, or short-barreled shotgun is required under the provisions of Section 922 (a)(4), Title 18, U.S.C., and Section 478.28, Title 27, CFR, a letter of request, in duplicate, containing all information required on this form, may be submitted in lieu of the form.
b. The registered owner of NFA firearm(s) shall complete two copies of ATF Form 5320.20 and forward the forms to the Director, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 25405 (Attention: NFA Branch).
c. All signatures on both copies of the form shall be in ink. A facsimile signature is not acceptable. All other entries on the form shall be printed in ink or typewritten.
d. The original of ATF Form 5320.20 will be returned to the registered owner. Approval authorizes the registered owner to transport the designatedd firearm(s) only during the time period specified in item 3. THE AUTHORIZATION DOES NOT CARRY OR IMPORT RELIEF FROM ANY STATUTORY OR REGULATORY PROVISIONS RELATING TO FIREARMS OTHER THAN 27 CFR 478.28.
e. In the event item 2 is checked “yes” and the firearm(s) is not returned to the original location by the date specified, the registered owner shall submit a new application on ATF Form 5320.20 to receive approval to return the firearm(s).
f. If a contract or common carrier is used to transport the firearm(s) a copy of ATF Form 5320.20 shall be furnished to the carrier and shall be in the possession of the carrier for the duration of the transportation. This will meet the requirements of sections 922(e) and (f) of the Gun Control Act of 1968.

rkba_net
06-30-2010, 22:23
AOW's and Suppressor do not require a 5320.20, but BATFE will approve one if it makes you feel better.

DARKSHADOW
07-01-2010, 06:41
I don't want to make any mistakes just because I didn't know.
Thanks for the reply. :wavey:

Anyone else have a say?

Fireman1291
07-01-2010, 08:18
What he said. No form for intrastate transfer of AOW & suppressors...just make sure they are legal in the state you are traveling in.

DARKSHADOW
07-01-2010, 13:09
OK, thanks guys.

Fireman1291
07-02-2010, 04:44
O, and its good form to have a copy of your F4 with you while you have possession of the suppressor. Dont bring the original the stamps fall off to easily, bring a copy.

DARKSHADOW
07-02-2010, 07:12
Nice tip, thanks.

r2kba
07-03-2010, 09:48
Nice tip, thanks.

I never leave the house without copies of my Forms for any NFA item I have. I'd never even THINK of leaving the state with one of my cans and not bring the form as well.

dudel
07-04-2010, 06:09
O, and its good form to have a copy of your F4 with you while you have possession of the suppressor. Dont bring the original the stamps fall off to easily, bring a copy.

+1 I keep a copy in each car, range bag and in the can's "holster".

DARKSHADOW
07-04-2010, 16:55
Well I knew the form with the stamp needed to be kept with the suppressor, but I didn't know just a copy would suffice. I could see the stamp coming off after just a couple of trips out of its folder, hence "nice tip".

So, color copy, or is black and white ok? :wavey:

r2kba
07-05-2010, 10:33
Well I knew the form with the stamp needed to be kept with the suppressor, but I didn't know just a copy would suffice. I could see the stamp coming off after just a couple of trips out of its folder, hence "nice tip".

So, color copy, or is black and white ok? :wavey:

I have some of each. Depends what printer I use or if I use the copy machine. It dont matter either way. Keep your stamp in a firesafe in the house somewheres.

Liff
07-07-2010, 18:15
Black and white is the correct answer.

Reason is no one would accuse you of trying to copy money/stamps/Form4's. This might be over the top thinking, but I'd rather be on the safe side.

r2kba
07-08-2010, 11:05
Black and white is the correct answer.

Reason is no one would accuse you of trying to copy money/stamps/Form4's. This might be over the top thinking, but I'd rather be on the safe side.

Maybe but a canceled stamp is worthless. :))