Dual Monitor + HDMI Video setup [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dual Monitor + HDMI Video setup

HKUSP45Css
06-30-2010, 20:04
OK gang, my old AM2 mobo has STB due to a power spike. Replaced the PSU, and now I get power but no POST. Did the monkey maintenance and broke it down to one stick of RAM (several different "one sticks" and the mobo, still no POST. Different VidCard, still nothing. So, I have decided it's time to upgrade and here is where I reach a quandary.

I'm looking for a mother board with on board video (ATI 4200HD or close to it) which offers DVI and VGA (or another DVI) and HDMI.

The trick is I'm looking for a board (or chipset) which is proven to do dual monitors over the VGA+DVI and allow me to port the HDMI to my TV for video. I'm finding a bunch of boards with all 3 ports but I'm also finding a dearth of info from anyone trying to run the same setup I'm attempting. I had a GeForce 8800GTS and a "throw down" PCI-E card with HDMI in the last board and it worked great. I'm trying VERY hard to make this repair as cheap as possible without losing any functionality.

I have some other "druthers" like 4 DIMM slots and would prefer a DDR2 board, though I suppose I could replace the RAM I currently have. If that must happen (the replacement) the DDR2 requirement can go. But, only if it CAN'T be done otherwise.

And just so we're clear, I'm not looking for a hot debate on which what is "better" .... I'm only concerned with the least expensive solution to my problem.

Any takers?

StarvinMarvin
07-02-2010, 02:40
As far as I know, most of the hd4200 (like a 785G chipset) boards will do multiple monitors (one digital and one analog), but I don't think you can use the hdmi and dvi simultaneously. Do I understand correctly that you want to use dvi for something like a primary monitor and port to a tv via hdmi at the same time?

Also, I think a 785G is about the minimum chipset to get 4xslots of ddr2, and those boards run around $70. If you were to get one of these and a discrete graphics card like an hd4xxx for as cheap as possible, you could use the board's hybrid crossfire and support up to 4 monitors... but that isn't what I'd call cheap... you're up to at least $100 by that point.

Do you still have the 8800 and the other card ? maybe they still work.. strange things happen when a power spike takes out a power supply, but your old vid cards might still work.

EDIT**

So I looked up the manual of this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128394) board, and it does not support simultaneous use of the dvi and hdmi. funky copy/paste....

A. Dual Display Configurations:
This motherboard provides three ports for video outp
the supported dual display configurations.
Combination Supported or Not
DVI-D + D-Sub Yes
DVI-D + HDMI No
HDMI + D-Sub Yes
Dual
Display

I doubt any other 785G would be different

HKUSP45Css
07-02-2010, 12:38
Yes, I want to use the "monitor ports" (db15 and DVI) to drive a dual monitor setup and the HDMI oput to my TV, like I had before the PC went TU. Of course, before I was using 2 VidCards to do it. I was hoping to find a board that would allow all 3 to function at the same time.

Well, drat, that's what I've kind of gleaned so far. Many boards have all 3 but only allow you to use any combo of two.

I'll take my cards to work Tuesday and see if they still work, I'm hoping they do.

I'm still in the market for an all in one board that'll do it though. Anybody else?