Microsoft Kin [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Kin

Linux3
06-30-2010, 20:40
I see Microsoft killed off the KIN and I didn't even know what a KIN was.
Do you?

http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/article/Somebody-notify-the-next-of-kin-Microsoft-KIN-is-dead/1277937674

betyourlife
06-30-2010, 20:44
As someone who recently bought an HTC Tilt2 only to find it constantly freeze and have windows error messages much like your would expect with their OS on a PC, I am 1) not surprised and 2) definately not buying another windows phone.

Swiper
06-30-2010, 20:51
That was sudden. I'm pretty sure I saw a commercial for it as recent as yesterday.

Everything seems to be fine and dandy on www.kin.com

kc8ykd
06-30-2010, 21:16
As someone who recently bought an HTC Tilt2 only to find it constantly freeze and have windows error messages much like your would expect with their OS on a PC, I am 1) not surprised and 2) definately not buying another windows phone.

your phone shouldn't be doing that, have you talked to your phone service provider? you could have a hardware issue.

what rev of windows mobile is running on your tilt2?

i'm a little surprised about the kin being killed off so quickly, seems like i've only been seeing ads for them for the last month or so, but then again, m$ has made dumb decisions in the past with product development (yes, i'm still angry about them killing the ACES studio).

Pierre!
06-30-2010, 23:16
i'm a little surprised about the kin being killed off so quickly, seems like i've only been seeing ads for them for the last month or so, but then again, m$ has made dumb decisions in the past with product development (yes, i'm still angry about them killing the ACES studio).

One Word For You:

Bob

now THAT was a *FLOP* :rofl:

kc8ykd
07-01-2010, 10:28
One Word For You:

Bob

oh god, that was a terrible os i don't know if anything will live up to (or down to) bob.

but, i think we can add vista to that list

Pierre!
07-01-2010, 12:28
Well, personally, Vista always worked *awesome* for me! We were really cooking when Window 7 came out - and of course that stole the show.

But - I was VERY happy with Vista. And I run 6 computers or so... and I am pretty picky.

Wish I had a shrink wrapped Bob box for the trophy wall though... (LOL)

kc8ykd
07-01-2010, 14:54
aye, i had similar experiences with vista x64 of my new desktop i got last fall, however, it had terrible x64 driver support for legacy devices i found out when i installed it on my 3 year old laptop :( not m$'s fault, but i think legacy support was quite an issue for a lot of people moving to vista, hardware vendors didn't really want to have submit to the m$ certification process, especially for x64 stuff. I think that's changed w/7 tho

after upgrading both machines to 7, i was blown away, especially on the laptop. i could record audio at a higher bitrate and depth than i could even under xp. color me impressed.

I was working at a computer store/consulting company when bob was released. we never sold a single copy, we got one in for evaluation and that was it. we catered to business and more affluent home users and there was no way i was going to sell them Bob, even for their kids. i'd have never heard the end of it...

i'm also really glad that lantastic fell out of favor when it did as well.. that was just terrible.

Linux3
07-01-2010, 15:40
aye, i had similar experiences with vista x64 of my new desktop i got last fall, however, it had terrible x64 driver support for legacy devices i found out when i installed it on my 3 year old laptop :( not m$'s fault, but i think legacy support was quite an issue for a lot of people moving to vista, hardware vendors didn't really want to have submit to the m$ certification process, especially for x64 stuff.

Oh, come now. Who's fault was it?
Linux runs on almost everything, new and old and very old because the developers care and want to support as much as possible.

You telling me MS couldn't figure out how to support older hardware? Maybe it was a scam. Dear hardware vendor, pay us or we will not support YOU!

kc8ykd
07-01-2010, 16:34
well, considering for at least 90% of devices, the vendor writes the driver, i'd consider it their fault.

m$ includes generic versions for most newer (at the time of release) stuff. but one can't expect them to be responsible to write drivers for the millions of different devices available.

for linux, the devs like hardware and want to support it, but that doesn't necessarily mean the vendor does. take my m-audio interface for example, no linux drivers available, at all. but, the vendor has good windows and mac support, through the latest versions of their os's.

Also, i think it's nvidia, has traditionally had terrible support for linux (maybe it's ati, i don't remember). i remember a time when no advanced features were supported since the vendor wouldn't help out linux devs at all.

Pierre!
07-01-2010, 18:47
Lantastic - Made ALOT of $$$ with them early on... and they did start to fall... HARD, and were dumping on us resellers!

Matter of fact, the T-Shirt I am using on my Computer Chair is the "Lantastic Reseller Alliance - Small Business Networking in the Era of Windows 95"

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

kc8ykd
07-01-2010, 20:01
i always hated that product, it was nice tho, all the network cards i used had ne2000 drivers in addition to lantastic drivers so the transition over to wfwg or novell networking was pretty easy...

i can't believe they kept lantastic alive through windows 95, crazy

BarkinDog
07-04-2010, 21:33
Yep they offically pulled the plug on the KIN. They recognized that it just can't compete with android based phones and the i phone and decided to cut their losses.

checkyoursix
07-05-2010, 21:04
Yep they offically pulled the plug on the KIN. They recognized that it just can't compete with android based phones and the i phone and decided to cut their losses.

This was a phone aimed at the teenagers market, that offered the Zune as a media player. Considering I haven't seen a teenager without an Ipod in a long time, this was some business plan. Kids don't want to be seen anywhere near a Zune, image conscious as they are.

duncan
07-12-2010, 16:48
One Word For You:

Bob

Another interesting fact:

Melinda French Gates (born Melinda Ann French; August 15, 1964)[1] is an American philanthropist and wife of Bill Gates. She is the co-founder and co-chair of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and a former unit manager for several Microsoft products such as Publisher, Microsoft Bob, Encarta, and Expedia.

Still don't know what to do with my Zune as the Ipods and ITouches seem to rule the roost.