IMI surplus [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : IMI surplus

brandon3155
07-01-2010, 08:59
About a year and a half ago, I bought 2k rounds of 9mm surplus ammo from rguns.net and let me tell you that this stuff is awful, I just now TRIED to shoot some.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/bcc423/unsorted/DSCN1696.jpg
most fail to fire, the ones that do are either too hot, or too light, there was .380, .40. 9x21 mixed in, primers in upside down, primers crushed, crushed cases, mal-seated bullets, bullets seated too deep, 124gr bullets with 115gr powder charge. Dangerous stuff. This is just some I found in a case of 1000, I will probably find more when I more thoroughly inspect them.

does anyone know about this stuff? is it actual surplus, or is it overseas military range brass reloaded to poor standards? either way, i'm pulling all these and salvaging the brass and bullets.
file:///C:/Users/brandon/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.pngfile:///C:/Users/brandon/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png

gatorboy
07-01-2010, 09:39
Thanks for the heads up. That is the most pathetic and dangerous thing I've ever seen. They should give you all of your money back and beg you not to sue them. Would a 9x19 auto fire out of battery with 9x21 ammo? Depends on the chamber I guess, would NOT want to find out!

brandon3155
07-01-2010, 11:20
Thanks for the heads up. That is the most pathetic and dangerous thing I've ever seen. They should give you all of your money back and beg you not to sue them. Would a 9x19 auto fire out of battery with 9x21 ammo? Depends on the chamber I guess, would NOT want to find out!

I'm not going to worry about a refund, it was so long ago, I have no receipt, and dont want to pay shipping. Ill come out ahead just salvaging the brass and bullets and reloading them.

I put a piece of primed 9x21 brass in my g17 and it was too far out of battery to fire. those 2mm made a gap between the barrel hood and the slide.

Merkavaboy
07-01-2010, 14:38
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/bcc423/unsorted/DSCN1696.jpg

IMO, it's probably reloads. And here's why:

take a look at the two rounds in the second row, cartridges 3 & 4.
Cartridge #3: As far as I know, IMI never made a semi-jacketed RN soft point with such a profile. The bullet actually looks like the old Speer 125JSP or one of Sellier & Bellot's JSP load.

Cartridge #4 does look like it could be IMI's Ex-Star fully jacketed SP bullet, but the big giveaway will be the case headstamp and the primer for both those rounds.

If the cases for those two rounds have any Hebrew characters (specifically "ת" or "צ") or any numbers (example: 76 or 1-76), then the case is definately military, and IMI would not be loading civilian JSP bullets into military cases.

If either of those rounds have cases primed with the round or domed primer (like cartridge two in row two), then those cases are using military SMG primers. IMI stopped using the domed SMG primers around 1980. Every military loaded 9mm prior to 1980 will have the domed primers.

Edit: Taking a closer look at cartridge two in row two, I can see it's stamped T Z with a 2-digit date code, which is also an IMI military case.

brandon3155
07-01-2010, 14:49
Both of those non-ball type are headstamped with "imi 9mm-luger" and only that.

The round laying down has a dome shaped primer, so are you saying those are probably okay?

Oh, also these bullets have been through a tumbler:wow: there is tarnish/oxidation around all the little crevices that tumbling media cant get to.

Merkavaboy
07-01-2010, 15:14
Both of those non-ball type are headstamped with "imi 9mm-luger" and only that.

The round laying down has a dome shaped primer, so are you saying those are probably okay?

Oh, also these bullets have been through a tumbler:wow: there is tarnish/oxidation around all the little crevices that tumbling media cant get to.

I can't say that any of the ammo is safe to shoot. I just don't like the look of the rounds in the back row with all those crushed case mouths. It reminds me of some very poorly handloaded rounds.

The semi-jacketed SP is still very suspicious to me, but the fully jacketed SP looks okay, as I just pulled out my sample of an IMI JSP and mine looks exactly like 4 in your picture.

Depending on what you shoot the ammo through, you will find the domed SMG primers hard to pop. None of my Glocks could pop them on the first strike, but I had a little better luck with my surplus German Sig P6 that has a quite heavy trigger pull on it.

If you decide to shoot your ammo, inspect EVERY round and weed-out the faulty ones and make sure you separate out any other calibers.

If you come across any strange stamped 9mm rounds or ones that have any unusual bullets, give me a PM as I'd be interested in what you may have found.

brandon3155
07-01-2010, 17:37
Ive got about a hundred of these broken down

12 95gr .380acp bullets loaded in a 9mm with a 9mm charge (possible squib, barrel blockage)
4 115gr with a double charge (10+ grains, KB)
1 158gr .355" bullet over a 6 grains of powder (KB)!
I thought for sure the 158gr bullet was going to be a .358