Consignment Colt Gold Cup [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Consignment Colt Gold Cup

reloader_22
07-01-2010, 09:22
I ran across a stainless colt gold cup NM at the local candy store for $700.00. It's a series 80 mark IV. The only problem I see is it has an idiot mark, which I don't believe can be buffed out. Other than that it looks good. BTW, the gun shop will not allow you to strip the pistol to inspect it. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thx

ijacek
07-01-2010, 09:43
700$ in my limited experience would be a good price, but...

You already noticed the idiot mark, what else has been tinkered with? And why can't you take the gun apart and inspect it?

All things considered, I think I would pass.

Straightpipe
07-01-2010, 11:06
Without stripping it who is to say all the parts are even there? I worked at Academy Sports for along time and we "weren't suppose to take down the guns" for fear we wouldn't be able to get them back together. That being said a few of us who felt comfortable doing so did it all the time with the store managers permission when we either got bored or sold one showing the new owner how to do so. I even saved Taurus a few send backs on PT111's I got so used to working on them. If an actual established gun store won't take it down, something smells funny about that situation.

NYS Ret.5763
07-01-2010, 11:11
Had a stainless Gold Cup given to me as "payment" for the number of guns I sold for my boss at his gunstore. The serial# was 4007...I sold it because I already had 2 Colt 1911's(still have them today). The 007 serial# was enough reason to keep it. Oh well..another dumb gun move. This was circa 1987.

Jim Watson
07-01-2010, 12:55
Mostly, haul back the slide and inspect the frame and barrel ramps for signs of Bubba-throating. If they are uneven, TOO shiny, or the barrel ramp does not have the .030" "jump" ahead of the frame ramp, pass. Most anything else that might be out of spec can be fixed at low to moderate cost.

skipsan
07-01-2010, 15:37
As above, with the additional comment that the "idiot scratch" issue probably can be worked to your satisfaction. For sure, it can be buffed out unless its a gouge. The trick is to do it without leaving a shiny spot in its place that doesn't match the rest of the frame. With a little study, that can be handled. I put a nice mark on my new Trophy Match stainless that could be seen six feet away, and managed to get rid of about 95% of it, and will go for the rest when priorities allow. Various methods can be found in the 1911 gunsmithing forums.

bac1023
07-01-2010, 18:08
Seems like an OK price, but the Series 80 models just aren't as valuable as the older guns.

den888
07-02-2010, 19:44
That's a pretty good price, IMHO. Here in CA, they would sell for more than that.

Big_Drunk
07-03-2010, 18:53
I ran across a stainless colt gold cup NM at the local candy store for $700.00. It's a series 80 mark IV. The only problem I see is it has an idiot mark, which I don't believe can be buffed out. Other than that it looks good. BTW, the gun shop will not allow you to strip the pistol to inspect it. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thx

Do you think you could ask the clerk at the counter to disassemble the gun so that you could inspect it ("or to see how difficult it is";))?

$700 seems like a very good price on the described pistol, but the gun stores that I normally go to would love to disassemble a pistol for a customer. If they're that difficult to deal with while your trying to buy, can you imagine what it would be like to deal with them if there is a problem AFTER the sale.

RonS
07-03-2010, 20:09
I would lay my check book on the counter and tell them that the sale is dependent on a field strip and inspection, unless they are offering either a full warranty or money back guarantee on the gun, your satisfaction or they make it right.

Sounds like a good price, but bear in mind that the Gold Cup is not match ready as shipped from Colt and as Bac said S80 takes off some collector interest and value.