Using a red dot with a dovetail mount [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Using a red dot with a dovetail mount

lostone1413
07-01-2010, 15:51
If I was to use a dovetail mount on my Glock how much higher up would the red dot sit compared with getting the slide milled?? I thinking of putting on a fastfire on a Glock 19. I have heard that it would only sit up 1/8 to 1/4 inch higher using the dovetail mount. If that is all I can't see were it would be a good advantage getting the slide milled. Is the distance about right?? I can't see that it would affect your speed given how high a red dot sits on a race gun. Whats your thoughts?

bentbiker
07-01-2010, 22:17
There is also a weight advantage, and since it is on the slide, that could be important. However, I plan to go the same route as you. I'm waiting for a
Glock mount from Trijicon -- should be out anytime now. I think your number is about right.

lostone1413
07-02-2010, 15:18
There is also a weight advantage, and since it is on the slide, that could be important. However, I plan to go the same route as you. I'm waiting for a
Glock mount from Trijicon -- should be out anytime now. I think your number is about right.

This what you looking for?? http://shopping.yahoo.com/774079169-glock-mount/

bentbiker
07-02-2010, 21:08
This mount (for their RedDot) won't work for the new RMR unless you use an adapter. They are working on one for the RMR and expect it this summer. That's the problem with having everything made in Asia -- takes much longer than making it here.

Thank you very much for trying to help.

W4CNG
07-02-2010, 23:14
I have a JPoint Red Dot sight on one of my G19 twins. It is great, gets on target fast and is 100% in the last 6 months. It came with a slide in dovetail mount and fits all holsters I already had. This is the sight of the future.

HAMMERHEAD
07-25-2010, 11:55
There's a lot of incompatibility with all the red dot sights out there.

Burris, J-Point, three types of Trijicons, Docter, they don't all share the same mounts.
Some mounts for the small frame Glocks don't fit the big bore guns (Burris).

I'm waiting for a Glock mount for Trijicon's RMR Reflex (fiber optic-battery free).

bentbiker
08-02-2010, 10:24
I'm waiting for a Glock mount for Trijicon's RMR Reflex (fiber optic-battery free).
I just spoke with Trijicon and asked about the Glock mount. Although slower to reach the market than they expected, it is expected "any day", and most certainly by the end of the month. Let's hope he is correct.

HAMMERHEAD
08-04-2010, 18:13
I just spoke with Trijicon and asked about the Glock mount. Although slower to reach the market than they expected, it is expected "any day", and most certainly by the end of the month. Let's hope he is correct.
Su-Weeet!
One of my big bore field pistols is going to get one, probably the Glock 20.

kidcoltoutlaw
08-29-2010, 17:01
Can you see the front sight in order to use it to help get on target a little faster with the red dot ?

Thanks,Keith

lostone1413
08-29-2010, 17:49
Can you see the front sight in order to use it to help get on target a little faster with the red dot ?

Thanks,Keith
Yep I never had trouble picking up the red dot with a dovetail mount. I like this setup because I have a backup sight should something happen to the Red Dot.
But I know many that say the sight helps in picking up the dot very fast

lostone1413
08-29-2010, 17:53
here is my fastfire after I had the slide milled and put iron sights on it
http://www.flickr.com/photos/17795349@N08/sets/72157624676163487/

kidcoltoutlaw
08-31-2010, 13:28
It looks like you can co-witness the red dot with the open sights like on an AR-15 is that right ? Nice job who did the work ?

Thanks,Keith

Wriggly
08-31-2010, 19:32
It looks like you can co-witness the red dot with the open sights like on an AR-15 is that right ? Nice job who did the work ?

Thanks,Keith

:agree::popcorn:

pupcuss27
08-31-2010, 19:59
The Burris Fast-Fire works great on my G19.

Just use a tiny dab of the "Blue Lock Tight" on the mounting bolts ( clean them with alcohol first for a clean seal ).

Mill a slide and your stuck with a, well, milled slide... This is cool if you can afford it. Plus I'm Not saying it's wrong but, just be sure you know what your going to get into first.

I have a dedicated milled G23 with a Trijicon RMR w/ an 8 MOA. But my first RDS was the Burris Fast Fire with the dovetail mount. Both shoot great and the Burris is a better bullseye gun with the smaller 4 MOA dot.

Pup

AZBru88
09-01-2010, 07:32
The Burris Fast-Fire works great on my G19.

Just use a tiny dab of the "Blue Lock Tight" on the mounting bolts ( clean them with alcohol first for a clean seal ).

Mill a slide and your stuck with a, well, milled slide... This is cool if you can afford it. Plus I'm Not saying it's wrong but, just be sure you know what your going to get into first.

I have a dedicated milled G23 with a Trijicon RMR w/ an 8 MOA. But my first RDS was the Burris Fast Fire with the dovetail mount. Both shoot great and the Burris is a better bullseye gun with the smaller 4 MOA dot.

Pup

:embarassed: Forgot to Locktite my STS dove tail mount on, started to come off after 300 rounds out of my 17C.:embarassed:
Luckily I found the one screw that had come out, fix was easy...locktite is holding fine now.
I have the 3.5 dot and love it, can put the STS to max and the dot gets bigger and brighter.
I'm thinking about putting one on a 20C, think it would be great for hunting!

bentbiker
09-02-2010, 12:01
Well, the timetable has drastically changed (again). Within the last week, Trijicon has delayed the introduction of the new Glock mount for the RMR (I presume all the new models) until January, probably at Shot Show. Cust Svc doesn't know why.

Wildkow
10-19-2010, 23:12

He is not, according to "Eric" at Trijicon who I called just last week the mount won't be out until after the first of the year. Go figure, what the hell takes so long and it's one of the most popular handgun out there and it gets the mount last, sad. :dunno:

WTF! I wish Trijicon would get it's story right - - - http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=875&back_row=2&categoryID=13

Still a 4-6 week lead time, I don't see what's so damn complicated about that mount or why it costs so much.

gator378
10-21-2010, 09:13
If I was to use a dovetail mount on my Glock how much higher up would the red dot sit compared with getting the slide milled?? I thinking of putting on a fastfire on a Glock 19. I have heard that it would only sit up 1/8 to 1/4 inch higher using the dovetail mount. If that is all I can't see were it would be a good advantage getting the slide milled. Is the distance about right?? I can't see that it would affect your speed given how high a red dot sits on a race gun. Whats your thoughts?

My JPoint is mounted on a Glock20 using the dovetail mount and never had a problem. I find Red Dots much faster on target that open sights. I would try the dovetail mount first and see if you like it. You can always have it milled later. Once milled, it is forever.