glock reset trigger [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : glock reset trigger

1canvas
07-01-2010, 16:14
i have only been shooting glocks for a little over a year. i have many years [i am in my 50s] shooting DA S&Ws and 1911s but recently for many reasons turned to glocks [23 & 27] for most of my carry needs. i don't want to start anything with devout glock people so i will ask this for me, not everyone. i here everyone talk about trigger reset on glocks and at the range i have no problem with it, but for me i don't think it would be practical in a SD situation with the stresses involved. so not useing the rest method i'm thinking of the NY1 trigger spring and a 3.5 connector. my question is would there be a reason in your opinion for me not to try this set up for SD?
thank you.

Mas Ayoob
07-01-2010, 18:50
1Canvas, it sounds as if you've hit on a winning strategy for yourself.

The technique of trigger reset that involves "riding the link" or "riding the sear" allows the trigger to come forward just enough to reset. In dry fire, we can hear the click it makes, and in live fire we can feel that click. As you have noted, however, "practice ain't race day," a great quote I first heard from Tom Campbell.

In a string of fire, of course, we won't be able to hear the click. Under stress, strength increases, and the flexor muscles of the finger that pull the trigger are stronger than the extensor muscles that allow it to return forward. Simultaneously, we can expect to be experiencing vasoconstriction, a redirection of blood flow away from the extremities. This is probably the real reason we become so clumsy under stress. This makes it very likely that we won't feel the click of the reset, either.

The bottom line is, as stress increases, the likelihood of allowing the trigger to come far enough forward to reset decreases. This is why many of us have gone from this to a "trigger weld" method that keeps the finger in contact with the trigger to prevent trigger slap once shooting is underway, but allows FULL forward return to guarantee reset. In other words, let the trigger come forward until it stops moving.

This is essentially the trigger pull technique to which you are already accustomed with your S&W double action revolvers, so it should be an easy transfer. The 3.5 connector plus NY-1 won't be exactly the same as your S&W revolver, but it will be reasonably close, and transition should be natural.

It sounds as if you've thought your needs out well.

Best of luck,
Mas

1canvas
07-01-2010, 19:36
thanks for the answer. i just wanted to make sure i wasn't overlooking any thing from a SD point of veiw.
thanks again.