Huntsville, AL Info Please! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Huntsville, AL Info Please!

DannyR
07-02-2010, 08:05
Anyone live in Huntsville or are familiar with the area? My step daughter is considering a job in Huntsville, and if she accepts she will be looking to buy a house.

Please feel free to PM or E-mail me. We may be visiting the area on the 14th of July.

Thanks in advance for any information you may provide.
-DannyRyan

Rohniss
07-02-2010, 09:31
Huntsville's Nice. I've never lived there, but I've visited friends up there.

It has a pretty high cost of living for Alabama due to the income stratification inherent with the aerospace industry dominating the area.

I'd still rather live there than Birmingham (IE where I am now)

Toml
07-02-2010, 09:40
It's off the beaten track.

BamaAla
07-02-2010, 10:02
P.M. if you have any specific questions; I was born and raised in north Alabama. Huntsville is a different animal than Birmingham, Montgomery, Tuscaloosa, or the rest of Alabama. The technology field dominates the economy and there are a lot of people from a lot of different parts of the country and world, so the culture is a bit different than other traditional parts of the state.

Edit: I'm sure you've already done a simple search, but here are a few links for a decent start.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntsville,_Alabama

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-top-10-places-to-relocate-in-2010-2010-04-20?link=kiosk

http://www.relocateamerica.com/alabama/cities/huntsville

chuck pullen
07-02-2010, 18:15
Danny:

I'm in Huntsville. It's great! PM sent. PM me if any info needed.

feathers73
07-02-2010, 19:16
I live in Huntsville. It is a defense/aerospace town supported by NASA (Marshall Space Flight Center) and the Army (Redstone Arsenal). A great place to live if you are in that industry as we have been less susceptible to economic down turns. Most people in Huntsville, aren't from Huntsville. The city is about 230,000 with another 100,000 in surrounding communities. UAH and Alabama A&M are two universities here. Two malls, lots of restaurants. Of course like any city, you have your nice areas and not so nice. Many folks live just outside of Huntsville in Madison, probably a slightly more progressive community. Huntsville is slated for more growth as the Army Material Command has been BRAC'ed to Huntsville from Fort Belvoir. Typical southern weather, four seasons. There is the old part of town that has been substantially revitalized, and newer parts. It is a really beautiful place once you get use to it. I was an Air Force brat and lived everywhere including California but have been here 23 years and probably will never leave. If you want you daughter to live in a safer place (I have two daughters so I feel your pain) try Madison, Jones Valley to South Huntsville, and Providence. If it was my daughter, I would probably steer her towards Madison.

Cobra6
07-05-2010, 20:57
I live in Huntsville. It is a defense/aerospace town supported by NASA (Marshall Space Flight Center) and the Army (Redstone Arsenal). A great place to live if you are in that industry as we have been less susceptible to economic down turns. Most people in Huntsville, aren't from Huntsville. The city is about 230,000 with another 100,000 in surrounding communities. UAH and Alabama A&M are two universities here. Two malls, lots of restaurants. Of course like any city, you have your nice areas and not so nice. Many folks live just outside of Huntsville in Madison, probably a slightly more progressive community. Huntsville is slated for more growth as the Army Material Command has been BRAC'ed to Huntsville from Fort Belvoir. Typical southern weather, four seasons. There is the old part of town that has been substantially revitalized, and newer parts. It is a really beautiful place once you get use to it. I was an Air Force brat and lived everywhere including California but have been here 23 years and probably will never leave. If you want you daughter to live in a safer place (I have two daughters so I feel your pain) try Madison, Jones Valley to South Huntsville, and Providence. If it was my daughter, I would probably steer her towards Madison.
Good summary - that is why I am in Madison - mainly the school system - even though Huntsville did dismiss their school superintendant, they have to turn around their schools - they have been on the decline the past several years.
The big growth area is in Madison and Limestone County (toward Athens) - the gates entering the Arsenal on the west side are really backed up in the mornings and they are planning to make road improvements to handle the extra traffic due to the growth in the west end of Madison County.
One great thing is - you can be out of town in 15 - 20 minutes and enjoy the countryside.

Brad_G
07-21-2010, 06:46
She'll love Northern Alabama. There are so many places to go that are within a 5 hour drive.

These guys have given some great information, and they are spot on.

I've got a few friends in the Defense contracting world that live up there, so if she needs some contacts, let me know.

BSG

Toml
07-21-2010, 08:00
There are so many places to go that are within a 5 hour drive.BSG

That's the truth.

WyldcatGirl
07-27-2010, 05:12
It's off the beaten track.

Why do you say that? It isn't a huge city but it's fairly good size with a pretty wide variety of things going on and it's minutes from I-65 that makes Nashville or Birmingham a very easy daytrip if you want to spend some time in a larger city.

Toml
08-03-2010, 13:01
Why do you say that? It isn't a huge city but it's fairly good size with a pretty wide variety of things going on and it's minutes from I-65 that makes Nashville or Birmingham a very easy daytrip if you want to spend some time in a larger city.

I guess because it's pretty far inland and surrounded (?) by mountains. Traveling from the east (Atlanta area) is not an easy drive as I recall, though I have not visited Huntsville in many years.

Don't get me wrong, I like the city...