930 SPX: going to 8+1 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 930 SPX: going to 8+1

Ride5C2
07-02-2010, 09:01
So, I recently added a choke/comp on my SPX and figured I would extend the mag tube and go from 7+1 (stock) to 8+1. Called Choate and they recommended the Choate 8 Shot Extension (part #02-04-33). Received it yesterday from Midway and it's a no-go, the tube is one inch longer, but still only 7+1 (using either their spring or my stock spring)

Here's what's strange, called Choate back and talked to a tech guy and he said the stock 930 SPX is 6+1, tried to convince him I've been using my SPX for a year and Mossberg's site can be verified, but he said even Mossberg's site is wrong. He indicated that the "Choate 8 Shot Extension" really means 7+1. Here's how it breaks down, essentially Choate has 2 different sized tubes for 7 rounds based on what I've gotten to date:
- Stock 930 SPX tube: 7 inches long, holds 7+1 (OEM from Choate)
- Choate 8 Shot 930 Extension: 8 inches long, also only holds 7+1

They mentioned that I needed the "Choate 9 Shot 930 Extension" which is 10.25 inches long to get 8+1, so basically 3.25 inches longer than stock. Now that sticks out even past my PolyChoke II, so I'm thinking of ditching the whole idea.

Two points, one, for those looking at an extension, hope this provides some useful information. Secondly, if I'm off my rocker and doing something wrong, any advice would be appreciated.

See Pic in this Link (http://i50.tinypic.com/fdbo86.jpg) for details of the two tubes

(http://i50.tinypic.com/fdbo86.jpg)

ScrappyDoo
07-03-2010, 09:29
I am not so sure about this... Not at all to disagree with you, but I think that Choate and Mossberg may not be on the same page or they got the play confused at the huddle, etc.

On Super Bowl Sunday I got my Mossberg 930 SPX by chance at a Dick's across the river in PA (I know the Shotgun forum regulars are getting sick of this story, I am sorry, I post it solely to help as I have gotten a lot of help from this forum, I would think I would try to return the favor somehow) ... I was looking for magazines for my also new Remington 597 sniper-.22-rifle ... And I stopped to look at the HUGE compared to NJ Dick's gun cage, and checking out some stuff, the guy was like "I have one special thing tucked away in the back... if you want to see.. its not out..." and there she was, and this was literally during the 930 SPX Craze of January/Feb here on GT, so within about 2 mins I was filling out paperwork.

COMPLETELY UNKNOWN TO MY STUPID N00B yet decidedly law-abiding-citizen self, NJ doesn't allow semi-auto shotguns with pistol grips (thats cool, I got and wanted the conventional stock) nor mag capacity of MORE THAN 6 rounds. I immediately went into action, including asking for help here ... Would up talking to both Mossberg and Choate. Here is the conclusion and I don't mean to sound like I am so smart and know what I am talking about, I was simply FORCED to gather all the facts, for certain, very quickly.

The Mossberg 930 is a 4+1 capacity shotgun. The SPX has a factory-installed Choate "+3" extension. I admit this is something I couldn't understand at first, I am thinking, if you have an 8 shot shotgun it should need like a +7 extension, right? Of course not. Dumbass. ANyway, Its definitey 4+1, 5? Plus 3 from Choate, =8. Now I admit I have NOT *FIRED* my shotgun that way, but I definitely LOADED 8 shots in it to test, and it definitely took 7 in the tube and 1 in the chamber.

Mossberg was not helpful to me, they told me I would need a new barrel in addtion to other parts. I was bashed and bashed on this site for posting that. I'll not get into the fact that everyone who bashed me would up being wrong as Mossberg's info was of course incorrect, as I thought.

Choate was very helpful, they made me a +1 extension, literally identical to the factory but shorter. it came with the extension, a bright orange follower, and a spring.

HERE IS THE WIERD PART... The spring my NEW , +1 extension came with WAS HUGE... I mean like 3 feet long. Totally unusable. THE FACTORY SPRING is what works. So I have the +1 extension, factory spring, bright orange followed now. And it definitely holds 5 rounds of 2 3/4" shotgun shells in the tube, one in the chamber. When using Hornady TAP, which I like and have a bunch of 5 packs of, and they are smaller than normal shotgun shells, it LOOKS LIKE you could almost cram a 7th shell in there. However, I have no interest in this because it would be both illegal for me, and in my opinion unsafe, wouldn't want to trust my HD Shotgun to a malfunction by purposely cramming something that may or may not work at the moment of truth.

I hope that helped at all, again, not to disagree with YOU Sir, I think that Choate and Mossberg are both wrong sometimes on this issue. Like I said, It was insisted to me I would need a new barrel to fix my problem, and everyone here told me I was 100% wrong for saying Mossberg was "wrong" to be "wrong in their info" , and after speaking with Choate and literally fixing the problem with a $50 extension, not a $200 barrel and $45 parts kit from Mossberg, I was definitely right.

OH AND BTW- Checking your pic, thats almost like me, I had the shorter spring and factory follower, and Choate sent me the orange follower and that HUGE SPRING, but for a SMALLER DAMN Magazine, what sense does that make Choate???

Ride5C2
07-03-2010, 10:36
No disagreement at all Scrappy, 7+1 is a stock configuration for the SPX. Just can't figure out why there are 2 tubes for the 7+1 configuration (7 inch stock & 8 inch choate) and looking to confirm if a 10.25 inch extension is the only way to get to 8+1.

ScrappyDoo
07-03-2010, 13:39
But the stock IS Choate .... No ?

Ride5C2
07-03-2010, 14:14
Yup, that's the point, the stock SPX tube is from Choate and measures 7 inches and holds 7+1. If you order from Choate the "8 Shot", it is 8 inches long and still holds just 7+1.

m24shooter
07-03-2010, 21:42
Choate and Mossberg can sometimes (more often than I would like) be the gang that couldn't shoot straight. Mossberg has gotten the capacity info wrong in their own material, in CS calls, etc. Choate calls their extensions alternately by their total capacity including a chambered round, and also by their capacity without.
The OEM extension on the SPX makes the shotgun a 7+1 capacity. The extension comes out just about even with the muzzle and is slightly under 7" in length. I also have an S&J Hardware extension for the same capacity, and it is about .25" shorter. I don't use either of those, but the Nordic that I keep on there is about the same length.
The longer unit that Choate sent you may actually be long enough to get another round in there. The problem is that the spring that Choate sent you is way too long. That is the standard spring that Choate sends out with their extensions, and it is long enough to be used with the longest extensions they sell. So it needs to be trimmed back for your shotgun.
Back to Choate's spotty CS: if you call them they may or may not tell you to trim it back. It seems that depending on who you call, you will get either answer. Furthermore, they send this spring both to customers who order extensions directly from them, and also to Mossberg for installation on new SPX shotguns. This has led to numerous reports of shotguns that will not feed the first round when manually opertated or at all, and also of limited capacity, even with the factory shotguns.
Additionally, if you use the nylon follower that has a tail on it, you are likely to lose a round. The tail on those takes up pretty much all of the space that one round would take.
My recommendation would be to trim the spring length back, and use the cup follower if you want to increase your capacity. Even if you don't, you still need to trim that spring. You'll need to figure out if you want the benefit of a nylon follower or not, as that will determine how short your spring has to be.

Ride5C2
07-04-2010, 06:08
Choate and Mossberg can sometimes (more often than I would like) be the gang that couldn't shoot straight. Mossberg has gotten the capacity info wrong in their own material, in CS calls, etc. Choate calls their extensions alternately by their total capacity including a chambered round, and also by their capacity without.
The OEM extension on the SPX makes the shotgun a 7+1 capacity. The extension comes out just about even with the muzzle and is slightly under 7" in length. I also have an S&J Hardware extension for the same capacity, and it is about .25" shorter. I don't use either of those, but the Nordic that I keep on there is about the same length.
The longer unit that Choate sent you may actually be long enough to get another round in there. The problem is that the spring that Choate sent you is way too long. That is the standard spring that Choate sends out with their extensions, and it is long enough to be used with the longest extensions they sell. So it needs to be trimmed back for your shotgun.
Back to Choate's spotty CS: if you call them they may or may not tell you to trim it back. It seems that depending on who you call, you will get either answer. Furthermore, they send this spring both to customers who order extensions directly from them, and also to Mossberg for installation on new SPX shotguns. This has led to numerous reports of shotguns that will not feed the first round when manually opertated or at all, and also of limited capacity, even with the factory shotguns.
Additionally, if you use the nylon follower that has a tail on it, you are likely to lose a round. The tail on those takes up pretty much all of the space that one round would take.
My recommendation would be to trim the spring length back, and use the cup follower if you want to increase your capacity. Even if you don't, you still need to trim that spring. You'll need to figure out if you want the benefit of a nylon follower or not, as that will determine how short your spring has to be.

Thanks for the response, I didn't cut the spring, but I did try the stock spring (22.5 inches) with the cup follower in the new 8 inch Choate tube, but they 8th shell (in the tube) still won't fit, just about a 1/4 inch hanging out. I think a 9 inch tube would do it . . .