SC: New Requirements for CWP .. Lower Processing Time? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SC: New Requirements for CWP .. Lower Processing Time?

wikki
07-02-2010, 13:55
http://www.fitsnews.com/2010/07/02/fees-raised-on-cwp-holders/

By FITSNews || Packin’ heat on the D.L. (at least legally) is about to become more expensive in South Carolina …

The S.C. State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) is reportedly raising fees on concealed weapons permit (CWP) holders, including GOP gubernatorial nominee Nikki Haley (who received her CWP in 2008).

This week, SLED sent a notice to CWP instructors alerting them to the fact that permits will no longer be accepted in the mail. In fact, after July 9, if citizens wish to obtain a new permit or renew an existing permit, they will be required to schedule an appointment with a company that SLED has hired to collect and store their fingerprint information.

Fingerprints are already required for CWPs, but under the new system being implemented by the agency they must be collected digitally by a representative of the company – a major headache for CWP holders.

In addition to the wasted time, an additional $10 fee will be associated with the inconvenience.

SLED – which is part of Gov. Mark Sanford’s cabinet – is operating on a $63.7 million budget for the 2010-11 fiscal year. That’s $2.4 million less than it received a year ago, which is interesting when you consider that this year’s S.C. budget (post-vetoes, anyway) is the largest in state history.

So much for funding core functions of government, right?

Also, we’re surprised that Gov. Sanford – who vetoed fee increases for the state’s court system after they were initially exposed by FITS – would permit one of his cabinet agencies to turn around and quietly raise fees less than a month later.

Incidentally, S.C. Sen. Tom Davis (R-Beaufort) has sponsored legislation that would require the General Assembly to approve any fee increases beforehand – a move that would save Palmetto state taxpayers millions. Davis’ bill passed the S.C. Senate (amazingly) but was bogged down in the S.C. House by Rep. Danny Cooper, chairman of the Ways & Means Committee.

UPDATE: We just spoke with SLED Chief Reggie Lloyd who confirmed the $10 charge but says that it’s not a fee his agency is collecting. Lloyd says the money will go directly to Lifescan, the company collecting the fingerprints. Lloyd also says that the new electronic system will reduce processing time from three months to “a couple of weeks.”

GT4494
07-02-2010, 14:08
Thanks for the heads up.

dieseldude
07-02-2010, 18:11
Thanks, I havent heard about that until nnow. I plan to get my ccw soon.

rwr-b
07-02-2010, 22:07
My CWP is only a week old - thank goodness I'll have four years before renewal... unless other political insanity ensues.

Glockphobia
07-03-2010, 05:26
thats not a bad trade off, ten more dollars to cut time from 3 months to a "couple of weeks". if it were an option im sure i would go the quicker route.

rwr-b
07-04-2010, 14:36
I'm glad that I don't have to worry about it for 4 years! Mine just came.

GT4494
07-04-2010, 14:42
I'm glad that I don't have to worry about it for 4 years! Mine just came.

Looks like there is a place in Mt Pleasant so it won't be too bad to renew..

rwr-b
07-04-2010, 14:44
Looks like there is a place in Mt Pleasant so it won't be too bad to renew..

According to the letter that came with the permit, they really encourage you to renew on line. Which is fine by me.

GT4494
07-05-2010, 08:13
http://www.fitsnews.com/2010/07/02/fees-raised-on-cwp-holders/

By FITSNews || Packin’ heat on the D.L. (at least legally) is about to become more expensive in South Carolina …

The S.C. State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) is reportedly raising fees on concealed weapons permit (CWP) holders, including GOP gubernatorial nominee Nikki Haley (who received her CWP in 2008).

This week, SLED sent a notice to CWP instructors alerting them to the fact that permits will no longer be accepted in the mail. In fact, after July 9, if citizens wish to obtain a new permit or renew an existing permit, they will be required to schedule an appointment with a company that SLED has hired to collect and store their fingerprint information.

Fingerprints are already required for CWPs, but under the new system being implemented by the agency they must be collected digitally by a representative of the company – a major headache for CWP holders.

I read that renew by mail is no longer an option.

rwr-b
07-05-2010, 09:32
As I read your bolded quote, I think pertains to the original permit, as one doesn't have to get finger printed for a renewal.

SLED has traditionally had problems with the prints made by instructors. Ours at ATP were very particular and spent what seemed an inordinate amount of time getting good sets.

GT4494
07-05-2010, 12:02
As I read your bolded quote, I think pertains to the original permit, as one doesn't have to get finger printed for a renewal.

SLED has traditionally had problems with the prints made by instructors. Ours at ATP were very particular and spent what seemed an inordinate amount of time getting good sets.

I agree ATP does a great job. That's where I took my class.

Knowing the .gov I would be willing to wager that your first renewal will have a reprint requirement. I understand that they want to get the prints electronically and not a paper edition. After you get a set in the system they probably will not require reprinting for future renewals.

Its something that needs to be understood by all permit holders so any research on the subject would be appreciated.

dieseldude
07-05-2010, 13:31
^ yes, atp is were i would be doing my cwp at, off subject but does anyone know when there next class is going to be?

GT4494
07-05-2010, 14:11
^ yes, atp is were i would be doing my cwp at, off subject but does anyone know when there next class is going to be?

Looks like every Sat. I would call to make sure they have a slot.

Let us know how they get prints now..

http://atpguns.com/calendar.html

dieseldude
07-05-2010, 15:13
Will definatly let everyone no.

dieseldude
07-06-2010, 14:38
I heard this morning on fox radio that the electronic fingerprint will be required on new and renewing of a cwp.

dieseldude
07-07-2010, 09:35
Just another update, So if you want to get/take your cwp the electronic fingerprinting does not start until august. so if you dont want to deal with the electronic stuff it now is the time to get.

Glockrunner
07-07-2010, 20:13
SC Governors Office has put a STOP to SLEDs following through with this program.

There was enough opposition and calls to squeal the wheels on this for now.

Many questions ar yet to be answered tho so keep complaining!

Glockrunner
07-07-2010, 20:18
Just another update, So if you want to get/take your cwp the electronic fingerprinting does not start until august. so if you dont want to deal with the electronic stuff it now is the time to get.

Actually under the preposed change, SLED will not accept any new CWP Applications in the mail from July 9 thru August 18-19(?).

GrassRootSC was notified today by email from the Governors Office that SLED will NOT comence with the new program now because of all the complaints filed by the citizens.

Way to go!

Glockrunner
07-07-2010, 20:25

Their CWP Class appear to be offered every weekend so, why the wait?

Here is their schedule, a link to follow to their site:

http://www.atpguns.com/home.html

Then click on the calendar.

Best regards!

dieseldude
07-08-2010, 18:16
yes i saw that, i cant wait untill this weekend every thing is set up to go. I should have no problem with the class i have been studying the sc law on cwp. one more day finally!!!!

Crazy KD
07-08-2010, 19:06
yes i saw that, i cant wait untill this weekend every thing is set up to go. I should have no problem with the class i have been studying the sc law on cwp. one more day finally!!!!

No pre reading is required. Me and a couple of friends took the class at ATP and we all passed easily, even our friend who never really shot a gun. She rented a .22. Only one person in our class failed the course and that wasn't because she didn't meet the testing. She exhibited some very strange behavior in the class. After the class we were talking to the instructor and he said he was not going to approve her application.

As far as renewal, I just renewed mine last night on the internet and took a whole 5 minutes. We'll see how long it takes to get it in the mail though.

dieseldude
07-08-2010, 19:12
from what i have heard from others who went to atp the got there permit 2 weeks after the test so im hoping that happens to me to.

GT4494
07-08-2010, 19:26
Took mine at ATP almost 2 years ago. Just 3 pieces of advice.

1, Don't point your gun at the instructor while on the range. One person did and it kinda upset the instructor enough that not only did they not pass, I understand they were banned from the range. Imagine that...:whistling:

2. Spread your shots around the target so they can count all the holes. Don't shoot out the center. :cool:

3. Have fun and listen.

dieseldude
07-08-2010, 19:35
thanks for the advice. I have seen many of people point a loaded/unloaded fire arms at ranges alot includeding atp. (its sad) and it upsets me I get quite angry over. the first thing my grand father told me about firearms when i was five or six is that you never point a fire arm at anything unless you intend on shooting it. he would kill me if i ever did that.

Glockrunner
07-08-2010, 19:40
Because of the numerous complaints to the SC Governors Office SLED is dropping the "Easy Path" Program.

It is business as usual and they will now continue to accept applications thru the mail.

A NOTICE from the SLED site says:

"The South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) will not be implementing the Digitized Fingerprinting Concealed Weapon Permit (CWP) program as was previously announced. SLED personnel will continue to seek efficiency measures Division-wide, including the CWP program. SLED appreciates the patience demonstrated by each CWP applicant as SLED Regulatory personnel attempt to address CWP application turnaround times during these challenging economic times."

dieseldude
07-08-2010, 19:42
Cool thanks for the update

Crazy KD
07-09-2010, 19:33
from what i have heard from others who went to atp the got there permit 2 weeks after the test so im hoping that happens to me to.

Can't remember how long mine took, but it was somewhere between 1-2 months after the class that I got mine. ATP does nothing special in regards to processing time. Whatever the standard processing time is through SLED that is how long it will take. With all the budget cuts I would not expect it quickly.

My guess is it will take longer than 2 weeks to get my renewal which I did online.

rwr-b
07-10-2010, 07:19
From my experience: getting a copy of "SC Gun Law" is a great way to be ready for the class (scored 100).
Took 99 days for my CWP to arrive.

rwr-b
07-10-2010, 07:22
@dieseldude we should get together for a shoot.

dieseldude
07-10-2010, 16:03
rwr-b i would like to meet up, It make the range more fun when you are with another.