870 vs 590 opinions??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 870 vs 590 opinions???

Marshal Sam Hol
07-02-2010, 14:03
After 27 years ( now retired ) of law enforcement, I am very familiar with the good ole 870's. We always had 870s, sometimes a 1300 in our units. I am not real familar with the Mossberg 590. I have a chance the purchase either an old 870 police trade in or a Mossberg 590 police trade in for the same price. Both have extended tubes, and show heavy wear ( likely from riding in a trunk for years)..I was just wanting to see if I should break tradition and try something different from the 870s...????

TECH51
07-02-2010, 14:15
I have both and I like the Mossberg better because one thing. The trigger guard. My big hands don't like the 870's curved guard. But hell I like my Maverick 88 the best just because of the safety

got_metal
07-02-2010, 15:04
My opinion would be the 590. I bought mine after handling 2 different 870's that both malfunctioned in the same manner, after firing a round the slide became stuck and had to be slammed butt-first on the ground to eject the round. I know this doesn't affect the vast majority of 870's but it ultamitely made me choose the 590. Really you can't go wrong with either, I'm sure both have had their share of bad productions.

aippi
07-02-2010, 15:32
If the shotgun is a play toy, doesn't matter but if this is a weapon you may call upon in a defense situation it does, because you counted on an 870 to save you A double S for years, you trained with it and qualified with it so it is the weapon you will know how to use the best if caught in a stressful situation. You hundreds of rounds fired with an 870 and mastered that weapon. To change weapons for no real reason seems like a bad choice. Trying something different that can decrease your effectiveness to protect yourself is not a good idea.

ACE31
07-02-2010, 16:42
It all boils down to a trigger guard safety versus a top tang safety.
Both are fine Weapons....:supergrin:

Puppy
07-04-2010, 15:41
I have both & I always reach for my 590A1 first.

Jon_R
07-04-2010, 15:53
I have both that I bought new. I prefer the 590 20" I have but both are fine weapons. As a lefty the 590 safety works better for me. The 870 is the express model with an extension tube.

I have a weakness for shotguns. I have a decent number(8)

spyder1969
07-04-2010, 15:58
870 for me. On duty, training, teaching, and HD.

DHart
07-04-2010, 16:01
Shotguns are a weakness for me too! ;)

Arguments can be made for the 870, 500, 590, 1300. I like 'em all and can shoot them all just fine. You've spent most of your life with the 870, so it would seem like sticking with that makes sense, which it does. BUT, given some good practice, you can fairly quickly acclimate to any of them.

Controls are really the biggest difference between these models, as they're all relatively comparable in terms of reliability.

For controls, I like the 500/590 the best... by a long shot. I find the controls on the Mossbergs to be the most ergonomic and the easiest to use.

Second best for controls, for me, would be the 1300.

My least liked controls set-up is the 870. But it's obviously a plenty use-able set-up.

I like having and shooting all three guns. Don't worry about what's popular... choose what fits you right and you'll be just fine with the choice. Honestly, I could easily do just fine with any of these: 870, a 500, a 590, or a 1300. What's my favorite? Tough call. They each have their unique advantages.

Right now, the 1300's really have my attention. I love these guns! The 8-shot capacity with an 18" barrel, the one-piece full-length mag tube, no mag extension wonkiness or stability issues/problems, really fast to remove the barrel for cleaning, super fast cycling due to the rotary bolt design. The 1300 is one heck of a great gun worth considering.

Go handle them, then just go with your gut. Shoot whatever you get a lot, and you'll be fine!

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Shotguns%20and%20RIfles/ShotgunTrio.jpg

vafish
07-04-2010, 22:11
If the shotgun is a play toy, doesn't matter but if this is a weapon you may call upon in a defense situation it does, because you counted on an 870 to save you A double S for years, you trained with it and qualified with it so it is the weapon you will know how to use the best if caught in a stressful situation. You hundreds of rounds fired with an 870 and mastered that weapon. To change weapons for no real reason seems like a bad choice. Trying something different that can decrease your effectiveness to protect yourself is not a good idea.

I got to agree with JD on this one.

I'm a fan of the Mossberg shotguns. I like the location of the safety, it makes for easier operation either left or right handed.

But if you spent a good portion of your life getting intimate with the 870 I don't see any advantage to switching to a 590 now and you would lose all those years of familiarity.

TECH51
07-04-2010, 22:25
I know I have about 400 + rounds threw ea. Not good to kept switching up. But good to know if one goes down. (that never happens)

MrMurphy
07-05-2010, 00:44
For once aippi and I agree.

Mechanically some consider the 590 design superior. Realistically both run very well and are good designs.

I prefer the Mossberg safety location but overall having owned 2 870s a 500 and a Nova SP.....i'm fine with all of them.

You have decades on the 870. Stick with what you trained on and keep it maintained. It didn't get to be the most popular shotgun of all time by accident.

Marshal Sam Hol
07-05-2010, 14:13
Thanks for all the opinions...I will go to the gun store, and if the 870's are still there, I'll get one if not, I;l get the 590...ifneither are there..I'll wait for the next gunshow..
Thanks again

babarracing
07-06-2010, 13:06
Kinda late to this party. But I am a lefty with a hereditary skin condition which makes my hands Tactile challenged and the readily available Big Button cross bolt safety sure is great for me under stress. :wavey:

84S
07-06-2010, 23:41
I have a 870, but would be happy with a 590 as well. You can't go wrong with either one. I would look into which safety position suits you best, other than that both will serve you just fine.

Sheepdog Scout
07-07-2010, 00:07
I have a 870, but would be happy with a 590 as well. You can't go wrong with either one. I would look into which safety position suits you best, other than that both will serve you just fine.

One of the reasons I chose a 590a1 Mossy when I was in the market for a new shotgun.

RockyMtnScotsman
07-08-2010, 10:01
Yet another vote saying there's no wrong answer here, but I prefer the tang-mounted safety on my Mossy's.

Z71bill
07-10-2010, 12:19
If this is a HD shotgun why does the location of the safety matter?

Why use the safety at all - just load up the mag - take safety off - pull trigger -

If you need the gun - rack the slide - you don't even need to touch any small buttons - and you are ready to go.

Edit: IMHO this is a better (safer) way to store your HD gun VS loaded chamber with safety on.

DHart
07-10-2010, 12:36
Z71Bill... as a defense gun it would be wise to shoot it a lot for practice and familiarity, so an easy to access safety comes in handy on the gun during practice even if not as much so during a defensive encounter.

sortafast
07-10-2010, 12:42
My opinion would be the 590. I bought mine after handling 2 different 870's that both malfunctioned in the same manner, after firing a round the slide became stuck and had to be slammed butt-first on the ground to eject the round. I know this doesn't affect the vast majority of 870's but it ultamitely made me choose the 590. Really you can't go wrong with either, I'm sure both have had their share of bad productions.

I had the same thing happen on 2 different 870 magnum express'. One was mine, one was a friend's. We were shooting some clays and they locked closed on the shell. This happens intermittently still, but I have a police turn in 500 with a Speed Feed stock that I have for HD stuff. Really though, the 870 is a heavy shotgun IMO. The mossy seems a bit lighter. And one thing that I was shown by Mike at Tornado Technologies, is that the fire control bits on a 870 are still fitted. They are not all plug and play. I do believe that the mossy's are a bit better in this respect. But like all things it remains, Buy one of each and your problem will be solved :supergrin:

Marshal Sam Hol
07-10-2010, 13:34
I guess I forgot to mention, although I used an 870 for years in LE, I also used to duck hunt ( until an injury stopped that) with an 835 Mossberg.
So the position of the safety is not a real factor. I have a love for the ole 870, but really like the feel of the 590...I will get a chance to get back to the shop ( out of town) and see what is left on the rack there...

Z71bill
07-10-2010, 15:13
Z71Bill... as a defense gun it would be wise to shoot it a lot for practice and familiarity, so an easy to access safety comes in handy on the gun during practice even if not as much so during a defensive encounter.

Sounds reasonable - can't argue with practice.

I shoot / practice with several pistols that don't even have manual safeties - Glock, S&W M&P, Kahr PM9 - never felt I was not being safe.

I don't use the safety on my shot gun when I am shooting clays - or at the range. If I am at the firing line the gun pointed down range - finger is not on the trigger until just before I fire - other wise the gun is unloaded with the action open.

What should I be doing with a safety? Do you all turn it on / off constantly between shots? Don't get me wrong - I see nothing wrong with using it. Just don't see where it adds anything.

I don't hunt anymore - but when I did - used the safety all the time - duck blind or walking a field - kept it on until a bird was spotted.

Never gave it much thought - but if you hear a bump in the night - grab your shot gun - do you plan to leave the safety on until just before you to shoot?

Faulkner
07-10-2010, 16:30
I have both . . . this is one of those rare choices where no matter which way you decide it'll be a win.

MSgt Dotson
07-11-2010, 02:32
One thing I've noticed with my 590, if you 'preload' the forend with tension (such as puling the weapon into your shoulder), you can then NOT rack the action after firing, having to completely relax any tension on it before being able to again rack it...something to do with the action not unlocking as long as tension is still on it.

I consider this a flaw...

Rusty Shackleford
07-11-2010, 06:12
One thing I've noticed with my 590, if you 'preload' the forend with tension (such as puling the weapon into your shoulder), you can then NOT rack the action after firing, having to completely relax any tension on it before being able to again rack it...something to do with the action not unlocking as long as tension is still on it.

I consider this a flaw...

Is this "flaw" unique to Mossbergs?

Z71bill
07-11-2010, 08:45
Is this "flaw" unique to Mossbergs?

I will test my 870 next time I go to the range.

Can this be tested while dry firing?

I sure hope it does not do this because I would also see this as a defect.

I like the way the action works in my old Winchester model 12 - pull the trigger - bang - keep trigger back - rack the slide 5 times - bang bang bang bang bang. :supergrin:

Rusty Shackleford
07-11-2010, 11:21
Yep, dry firing works fine to test this.

Given the popularity of the 870, it's amazing how hard it is to find an answer about this.

What I've found seems to be that it's an accepted, intentional feature of Mossbergs, but that some 870's do it, and others don't. Because it's inconsistent in the 870's (again, just from what I've read) nobody can agree on whether or not it's "supposed" to do this.

sambeaux2249
07-11-2010, 11:54
Yep, dry firing works fine to test this.

Given the popularity of the 870, it's amazing how hard it is to find an answer about this.

What I've found seems to be that it's an accepted, intentional feature of Mossbergs, but that some 870's do it, and others don't. Because it's inconsistent in the 870's (again, just from what I've read) nobody can agree on whether or not it's "supposed" to do this.

I have 3 870's, 2 chinese 870 knockoffs, 3 mossbergs, 4 benelli novas, and an Ithaca 37. All of them will lock up ( not release the action ) if there is rearward tension on the forearm. If it's a flaw, it seems to be a universal flaw. I'm not sure what the advantage would be if this is a design feature.

Sam

Navitimer
07-11-2010, 19:04
They are both great, but given your experience with it I would go with the Rem 870.

Marshal Sam Hol
07-26-2010, 09:12
Okay, it's done...I went to the shop with the intent to buy the 590. They said cash money 210.00 out the door...On closer examination, it looked rough. Someone had removed something, I'm guessing a side saddle, and left a bolt thru the reciever but no nut on the other side. They said I could have an 870 220.00 out the door. There were several 870's, I picked one of the nicer ones. 20" barrel, factory mag extention. Worked flawlessly...As soon as I get a new camera ( later this week) I'll post a picture of it..

jp 19
07-26-2010, 22:09
Okay, it's done...I went to the shop with the intent to buy the 590. They said cash money 210.00 out the door...On closer examination, it looked rough. Someone had removed something, I'm guessing a side saddle, and left a bolt thru the reciever but no nut on the other side. They said I could have an 870 220.00 out the door. There were several 870's, I picked one of the nicer ones. 20" barrel, factory mag extention. Worked flawlessly...As soon as I get a new camera ( later this week) I'll post a picture of it..

you did the right thing... never ever ever buy any mosseberg over an 870 it is just plain wrong! i did it once and regretted the 590a1 until i finally sold it off and got me an 870 again....:yawn: The End......good night