converting G30 to 10mm help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : converting G30 to 10mm help

CanyonMan
07-02-2010, 16:46
I posted this else where as well, but wanted to try here also.

Guys I talked with an after market barrel co concerning putting a 'conversion' 10mm barrel in a G30. They said the extractor will have to be filed down in a certain place for 100% function (extracting empty brass). Problem is he did not know where to file the extrator ! Any one give me a graphic on this ? Like take a pic of the extractor out of the gun, point to the place with a pencil et. Give me some specific details please.

Greatly appreciated.

Thanks

CanyonMan

Bullman
07-02-2010, 20:22
I can see where maybe you might want to be doing this one the cheap, just buy a barrel and some magazines and hope it works okay. Why not spend a little extra money and just buy a top end for you G30 frame. Makes switching calibers a breeze, just slide one upper off, put the other on, put in a different magazine and bam.

Sorry, I don't know where to file either.

_The_Shadow
07-02-2010, 21:54
CanyonMan, I would think the extractor for the G-30 may be slightly short for the 10MM cartridge. The 10mm rim is a little thicker than the 45acp's rim so that is why they are removing a little from the extractor's hook to allow the 10MM cartridge's rim to slide up into battery with out dragging too hard or pinching with the extractor hook. Those that were using the G-21 with 10mm conversions I think swapped extractors using the one for the G-20. I don't know if it is the same for the g-30 using an extractor from the g-29.

While I don't like this type of conversion some have had good results...

Best of luck!

Mike5560
07-03-2010, 06:05
You are still likely to have problems even by filing down a G30 extractor, theres about 1.5mm difference in rim diameter between the two. I would think swapping out a G29 extractor would help, and probably work well enough for plinking around at the range. Since even then the rim wont fit 100% in the bolt face, the best way to gaurantee reliability is by getting a complete slide designed for 10mm.

CanyonMan
07-03-2010, 07:13
I can see where maybe you might want to be doing this one the cheap, just buy a barrel and some magazines and hope it works okay. Why not spend a little extra money and just buy a top end for you G30 frame. Makes switching calibers a breeze, just slide one upper off, put the other on, put in a different magazine and bam.

Sorry, I don't know where to file either.

Great advice man, but can't afford all that right now. I'd just buy a 29 before I would go that route, just a few bucks more really. I appreciate the word. Makes god sense, but $$$ short supply. ;)

Stay safe

CM

Bullman
07-03-2010, 07:14
I understand, my money situation is not any better either. I am waiting for my birthday and hope I have enough dough to get a 29.

CanyonMan
07-03-2010, 07:24
CanyonMan, I would think the extractor for the G-30 may be slightly short for the 10MM cartridge. The 10mm rim is a little thicker than the 45acp's rim so that is why they are removing a little from the extractor's hook to allow the 10MM cartridge's rim to slide up into battery with out dragging too hard or pinching with the extractor hook. Those that were using the G-21 with 10mm conversions I think swapped extractors using the one for the G-20. I don't know if it is the same for the g-30 using an extractor from the g-29.

While I don't like this type of conversion some have had good results...

Best of luck!

Howdy Shadow,

Actually the extractor "hook" is not the place to file. That is the only part in all this I do know. ha. I talked with the manufactuer of the after market barrel, (which i would rather not name), and he was not wanting to tell me much (butt covering i guess), but he did say the part that needs filing is up in the slide, because the first thing I ask was 'is it the hook part that catches the brass that needs filing..."? He said NO. Said it is hard to explain , but I would have to file a different part, but he would never commit to telling me where ! I figured at that point in the conversation that hey, if your going to make and sell something to me, you should also give me what ever extra information I need as well. So I am re-thinking doing this altogether at this point.

On the 29 extractor. I thought about that. I may look into that a little deeper monday and see. I'm already 'bout worn out with this idea, and may abandon it all together if it does not have a clearer answer soon. Then just save up and get the G29. ;)

Thanks for the tips.... Back to the drawing board !
Stay safe.

CanyonMan

lunker
07-03-2010, 16:33
Buy a Glock factory extractor for a G29. It's about $5.
Buy a Glock factory captured recoil spring for a G29 - about $10
Buy a conversion barrel from Lone Wolf or somebody else - about $110

You are done. I wouldn't use the gun for self defense, because the 45ACP breechface is larger than one made for 10mm, but it will work fine at the range.

Technically, you could even get away with skipping buying the extractor, just don't be surprised with getting occasional feeding/extraction issues. If this is a range toy, who cares?

_The_Shadow
07-03-2010, 20:40
CanyonMan, If you have the gun in question you can slide a 10mm casing up from the bottom and under the extractor to see what I was describing and look at the rim thickness of the 10mm as it passes under the extractor(this could cause the round not to completely feed as the thicker rim becomes wedged)...see the smaller diameter of the 10mm case rim vs. the 45ACP also. Because of the difference in diameter you may get Failure To Extract.

Now with that said, the area your unnamed distributor might be talking about could actually be where the extractor stops against the inside of the cut, that the extractor rides in, so it can reach a little further inward to hold the smaller diameter casing of the 10mm.

But I hate any thing that may develop unwanted stopages(except those which are used to practice defensive drills)...as this could lead to unwanted habits or worst and accident, just to have a little extra fun!

VN350X10
07-03-2010, 21:43
CM, personally I'd change out the extractor & the ejector/trigger housing if it's a different part #.
I think an extractor is about 15 bucks & the trigger housing is around 5-6 bucks.
This will give you the right extractor & ejector setup, which should negate most of the problems of the slightly oversize breechface.
The trigger housing might even be the same, but I don't havea 30 to check against my 29.

uncle albert

freakshow10mm
07-04-2010, 00:50
I ran a KKM conversion barrel in my G30 for about 10,000 rounds with nothing more than the barrel and mag change. Never had a FTE. Still have the barrel as I figured some day I'd get a new G30.

nickE10mm
07-04-2010, 02:25
Howdy Shadow,

Actually the extractor "hook" is not the place to file. That is the only part in all this I do know. ha. I talked with the manufactuer of the after market barrel, (which i would rather not name), and he was not wanting to tell me much (butt covering i guess), but he did say the part that needs filing is up in the slide, because the first thing I ask was 'is it the hook part that catches the brass that needs filing..."? He said NO. Said it is hard to explain , but I would have to file a different part, but he would never commit to telling me where ! I figured at that point in the conversation that hey, if your going to make and sell something to me, you should also give me what ever extra information I need as well. So I am re-thinking doing this altogether at this point.

On the 29 extractor. I thought about that. I may look into that a little deeper monday and see. I'm already 'bout worn out with this idea, and may abandon it all together if it does not have a clearer answer soon. Then just save up and get the G29. ;)

Thanks for the tips.... Back to the drawing board !
Stay safe.

CanyonMan

Hey bud... I've been up and down this Glock .45-10mm conversion trail and I can tell you....for ME, at least, it was a rocky path. Feel free to google my endeavors here a few years back on GT with my G20L setup (which used a 6" .45 slide and a 45-10mm conversion barrel). I never really got it running with 100% reliability. I've heard some people having luck with the conversions but I didn't... even after analyzing what mods needed to happen to the extractor. I can tell you, your source who told you about the extractor needing filed "farther up" than claw area was correct.

Here's the kicker: Lone Wolf is selling the actual 10mm longslides now which are actually DESIGNED to fit 10mm barrels etc. Even THEY are having issues with their extractor setups.

I just don't know how much luck you will have on this project, man.

Keep us posted either way. Good luck

lunker
07-04-2010, 10:22
CM, personally I'd change out the extractor & the ejector/trigger housing if it's a different part #.
I think an extractor is about 15 bucks & the trigger housing is around 5-6 bucks.
This will give you the right extractor & ejector setup, which should negate most of the problems of the slightly oversize breechface.
The trigger housing might even be the same, but I don't havea 30 to check against my 29.

uncle albert

Thanks. I forgot about the ejector/trigger housing (although I think the ejector for the G20 works fine for 10mm). I think most of my prices are accurate. I just had to buy a lot of this stuff for my G20 longslide.

CanyonMan
07-04-2010, 10:51
CanyonMan, If you have the gun in question you can slide a 10mm casing up from the bottom and under the extractor to see what I was describing and look at the rim thickness of the 10mm as it passes under the extractor(this could cause the round not to completely feed as the thicker rim becomes wedged)...see the smaller diameter of the 10mm case rim vs. the 45ACP also. Because of the difference in diameter you may get Failure To Extract.

Now with that said, the area your unnamed distributor might be talking about could actually be where the extractor stops against the inside of the cut, that the extractor rides in, so it can reach a little further inward to hold the smaller diameter casing of the 10mm.

But I hate any thing that may develop unwanted stopages(except those which are used to practice defensive drills)...as this could lead to unwanted habits or worst and accident, just to have a little extra fun!

Well the 10mm case is pretty sloppy under the hook of the extractor on the G30. I just checked. filing on the flat side of the extractor (the part inside the slide, as you suggeted, I think) may well pull the 'hook" back in to tighten things up a bit for the 10mm case. Sorta like tuning one of my M1911 extrators, (excet the Glock one whould have to be filed). I thought of this as well. But then decided, like you, I don't want to start something that may lead to a pile of hassles and unwanted problems.

I had a friend here on GT PM me, and said he has been doing this with just the regular stock extractor in his G30, and as long as he keeps things clean it runs great. Some have suggested to me a simple swap of a G29 extrator will work. Some say the whole shootin match, extrator, ejector et.... :faint:

SO, here is my plan ! I am dumping this idea "for now," and putting on the shelf (part 1). (plan 2) when I do get the conversion barrel from manufacturer X, I will stick with the stock extrator, and swap for the G29 extractor if need be and go from there.

Plan 3. Hey, while plan 1 is on the shelf 'for now', I am just going to treat myself to another M1911, and this time in 38 super ! :supergrin:

I'm getting the 38 super itch more than the G30/10mm coversion itch, "especially since," I've already got TWO G20's. ;)

So, Load of my back for now. ha.

I do appreciate your input and advice Shadow. I'll let y'all know how it goes later this year if I go forward with it.

Thanks to everyone else as well for the help Gents !

All of ya have a wonderful Independence Day ! (lest we forget)

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/cid__0626001712.jpg

CanyonMan
:patriot:

_The_Shadow
07-04-2010, 15:47
CM, I knew of your G-20 10mm holdings and didn't understand why you were interested in a 45 to 10mm conversion anyway...Just something to do I suppose. My comments were based on things which I either read or discussed with others who have done G-21 conversions. Glock has changed some geometry on they newer pistols and this may account for somethings to work differently than the older pistol designs.

Good luck, enjoy the July 4th celebration, stay safe.

CanyonMan
07-05-2010, 06:01
CM, I knew of your G-20 10mm holdings and didn't understand why you were interested in a 45 to 10mm conversion anyway...Just something to do I suppose. My comments were based on things which I either read or discussed with others who have done G-21 conversions. Glock has changed some geometry on they newer pistols and this may account for somethings to work differently than the older pistol designs.

Good luck, enjoy the July 4th celebration, stay safe.

Yeah, like I said, it was just a "project thing," that I was throwing around that looked like a pain, so on to something else. Again, Thanks.

CM