getting out light rust [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : getting out light rust

ftw13
07-02-2010, 17:22
i got a used moss 500 and its in great shape other than some scuffs....but there is light rust at the very end of the muzzle inside the barrel. any tips on getting that off?

aippi
07-02-2010, 18:48
Every time I clean my shotgun I polish the bore. Get a 3/8th hard wood dowel from Home Depot and some 00 or 000 steel wool. Stretch a pad of the steel wool over the one end of the dowel and tape it off at the bottom. It will look like a large Q-tip. Put this in you drill and spin it through you barrel. The rust is gone. Now spray some oil in the barrel and run some clean patches of wads or paper towel through it. Issue over.

Z71bill
07-02-2010, 20:52
Shoot the gun!

Z71bill
07-02-2010, 20:57
Every time I clean my shotgun I polish the bore. Get a 3/8th hard wood dowel from Home Depot and some 00 or 000 steel wool. Stretch a pad of the steel wool over the one end of the dowel and tape it off at the bottom. It will look like a large Q-tip. Put this in you drill and spin it through you barrel. The rust is gone. Now spray some oil in the barrel and run some clean patches of wads or paper towel through it. Issue over.

:wow:

Doing this every time you clean your shot gun - sounds like over kill- but it would work to solve a rust issue.

aippi
07-03-2010, 12:15
Cleaning the bore to maintain the weapon is not over kill it is good practice and my method it better then runing a couple patches through it. The metal has pores and these fill with residue that a simple patch does not remove. Running my polishing rod through the bore takes no more time then if you run some patches through it. I have a second home made tool that I use to clean the chamber and that is just as important to ensure extraction. It is made the same as the bore tool but shorter and from a 7/16th wood dowel. My weapons are not recreational shotguns, they are for self defense and maintaining them properly is imporatant as my life is important. Having relied on firearms during my career means these were the most inportant tools I had and this requires we do as a matter of routine, what you consider over kill. I continue to treat firearms with this same level of respect and will go to any length to ensure they perform as required when my life is on the line.

2afreedom
07-11-2010, 14:47
I will second using 00 or 000 steel wool. I usually spray a little WD40 into the wool before I start working on the rust. Usually it comes off and you can't tell it was ever there. To prevent it from happening again get a bore mop (screws on the end of your cleaning rod and is made out of some synthetic wool-looking material) and wet it lightly with your favorite gun oil. A couple of swipes down the barrel and you're protected until the next time you clean.