Colt 1991s? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colt 1991s?

Sammael
07-02-2010, 21:50
Ok, I remember when these came out, they were marketed as a 'budget' 1911, complete with a billboard style rollmark, (somewhat rough) parkerized finish, as well as some plastic parts thrown in the mix.

Now, is it me, or have the recent vintage 1991s progressed beyond when they were introduced?

I notice the finish seems to be quite a bit nicer these days, as well as the absence of the humongous rollmarks... How is the 1991 regarded overall, quality-wise, these days?

I am looking at a used one for 600 shipped - Wondering if it is really that much of a deal or not. I see well-worn 1991's walking the floor at shows for around 500ish, but they tend to be the older style, before the aforementioned refinements.

How do they stack up against the more expensive Colt 1911s? I know a lot of folks contend that Colt's quality has been hit-or-miss the last few years, as well as the pricing steadily increasing... causing even the most ardent Colt fans to become disenchanted of late.

What say ye? How do the 1991s rate these days? Decent deal at 600 shipped?

Thanks for the input, fellas.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/99BmwM3/DSC02329.jpg

samuse
07-02-2010, 23:19
I have that same exact gun and mine is great. But honestly, I wouldn't buy any 1911 sight unseen, especially a Colt or Springfield. Most of the guns I've seen that they produce are junk. Handle a 1911 in person and strip it down before you buy it.

bac1023
07-03-2010, 04:36
I have that same exact gun and mine is great. But honestly, I wouldn't buy any 1911 sight unseen, especially a Colt or Springfield. Most of the guns I've seen that they produce are junk.

Most Colts and Springfields are junk? :dunno:

woodrowNC
07-03-2010, 05:00
I have that same exact gun and mine is great. But honestly, I wouldn't buy any 1911 sight unseen, especially a Colt or Springfield. Most of the guns I've seen that they produce are junk. Handle a 1911 in person and strip it down before you buy it.

wrong. colt today and colt 10 yrs ago are completely different mules.

jrs93accord
07-03-2010, 06:20
In my opinion, as an owner of a 1991 Compact and a full-size 1991 (modified competition pistol), there is nothing wrong with the Colt 1991 models.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea_08/jamesrea09/DSC00801.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea_08/jamesrea09/jamesrea10/002-1.jpg

SouthpawShootr
07-03-2010, 07:03

While I would agree, that I prefer to handle a used gun before I buy, that statement that Springfield and Colt make mostly junk is :rofl::animlol:

I have 3 Colts, a Government Model purchased in 1989, a stainless Officer's ACP from the mid-90s, and a 1991A1 Commander from around the same period as the Officer's. All three have been completely satisfactory, though the Officer's is a little finicky with ammunition (not uncommon for short barreled 1911). The Commander cost me the least and it's become one of my favorites. It seems to be the same sort of thing S&W did with their value line......every bit as good as their premium production autos but with less refinement and a rougher finish. I wouldn't hesitate to carry it.

I don't have any of the newer Colts b/c they simply don't have any current production guns that interest me, though the reintroduction of the Delta Elite may change that. Now if they'd just bring back the CCO................ that would make me go to the sales counter.:supergrin:

samuse
07-03-2010, 09:52
I say their mostly junk because that has been my experience. Others may have been more lucky than me, but this has been my experience with Colt and Springfield. I'll even throw in a Para I had.

Para LTC: failed to feed about 10-12 times in 100 rounds, never locked the slide back, ejector wasn't fit flush with the slide, finish came off with normal handling, newbie mistake, traded it for a Mil-Spec

S.A. Mil-Spec: slide stop hole oversized and oblong approx .015", slide stop walked out when I shot it. I had to argue with S.A. to get them to replace the gun.

S.A. Mil-Spec#2: OOH. It has a NM serial number. The trigger track was so oversized, any trigger would be floppin around in there, the dustcover was thin on one side, slide flats wavy. Now I'm pissed, sold at a local gun shop.

S.A. G.I.: good gun for the price, would not run with factory mags, (would only feed ball with Checmate or Colt hybrids), not something for serious use. broke the link pin at around 400 rounds, extractor broke at about 1000, barrel lugs were starting to round off. trigger guard was cut thin on the bottom, reciever was too ugly to use as a base gun(unless you wanted to weld on it) sold it for $300

Colt NRM 1991: beautiful gun. frame and slide of excellent quality. Put 100 rounds through it, barrel and bushing fit is sloppy, plunger tube is very loose. Sent it back to Colt, they fix it. Like it now.

Colt O1918: Nice gun, functional and no hideous manufacturing mistakes.

Colt O1918#2: I liked the first one so much, I wanted another. This one was a gem. Hammer hitting the slide, extractor had no tension, it wasn't fitted and was in the white, spring tunnel was very thin on one side. Trigger was very heavy and gritty. Back to Colt. Waited 4 months, opened the Fed Ex box and they replaced my slide with one that had the cocking serrations cut backwards!!!!!!! Back to Colt!

I have had a Les Baer and a Rock River and was impressed with them. They cost at least 3 times the Springfields, but IMO, they were a better value because they looked good and worked.

Am I just too picky?

woodrowNC
07-03-2010, 10:32
I say their mostly junk because that has been my experience. Others may have been more lucky than me, but this has been my experience with Colt and Springfield. I'll even throw in a Para I had.

Para LTC: failed to feed about 10-12 times in 100 rounds, never locked the slide back, ejector wasn't fit flush with the slide, finish came off with normal handling, newbie mistake, traded it for a Mil-Spec

S.A. Mil-Spec: slide stop hole oversized and oblong approx .015", slide stop walked out when I shot it. I had to argue with S.A. to get them to replace the gun.

S.A. Mil-Spec#2: OOH. It has a NM serial number. The trigger track was so oversized, any trigger would be floppin around in there, the dustcover was thin on one side, slide flats wavy. Now I'm pissed, sold at a local gun shop.

S.A. G.I.: good gun for the price, would not run with factory mags, (would only feed ball with Checmate or Colt hybrids), not something for serious use. broke the link pin at around 400 rounds, extractor broke at about 1000, barrel lugs were starting to round off. trigger guard was cut thin on the bottom, reciever was too ugly to use as a base gun(unless you wanted to weld on it) sold it for $300

Colt NRM 1991: beautiful gun. frame and slide of excellent quality. Put 100 rounds through it, barrel and bushing fit is sloppy, plunger tube is very loose. Sent it back to Colt, they fix it. Like it now.

Colt O1918: Nice gun, functional and no hideous manufacturing mistakes.

Colt O1918#2: I liked the first one so much, I wanted another. This one was a gem. Hammer hitting the slide, extractor had no tension, it wasn't fitted and was in the white, spring tunnel was very thin on one side. Trigger was very heavy and gritty. Back to Colt. Waited 4 months, opened the Fed Ex box and they replaced my slide with one that had the cocking serrations cut backwards!!!!!!! Back to Colt!

I have had a Les Baer and a Rock River and was impressed with them. They cost at least 3 times the Springfields, but IMO, they were a better value because they looked good and worked.

Am I just too picky?

no, not to picky. maybe a little unlucky? me? just the opposite. can't remember the last time i bought a pos. lucky i guess. wait. kimber pro carry 2 that i've blocked from memory. i wont bore you with the whole story but suffice to say i will never deal with them again. but, i can say i bought an m8400 bolt that is as fine a rifle as i've ever owned. i've never fired a stock rifle with a trigger that good.

Ebb27
07-03-2010, 10:43
I've got one of the old 1991A1s I picked up back in the late '90s.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n200/srebough/Colt1991A1_edited.jpg

After over 10 years and a few thousand rounds it still works and looks just fine.

The only changes I've made over the years were the trigger and mainspring housing and these weren't changed out of necessity.

They were an inexpensive milspec version of a Colt 1911.

Perhaps not as "refined" as the newer ones but it works as advertised.

ctfireman
07-03-2010, 10:48
I love that colt in your pic, i've wanted one forever.

samuse
07-03-2010, 13:34
I love the looks of a no-frills parkerized 1911. Hmm. I might have my '91 parked.