I'm in..... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I'm in.....

ZIG-ZAG
07-02-2010, 22:06
Just went and paid for my Remington 870 express tactical today :supergrin:

same as this one....

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-tactical.aspx

I get to pick it up tomarrow... now I just need to go buy some shells, wait till the wife sees those boxes moving into the house. :shocked:

Hope i did good. What do you guys think?

sambeaux2249
07-03-2010, 00:59
I hope you got the blued one, not the hammerite grey one. I'd recommend ditching the tactical choke and replacing it with a standard improved cylinder choke. Otherwise, it's a great gun. I love mine.

Sam

ZIG-ZAG
07-03-2010, 09:25
Is this the grey one your talking about?
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-tactical-grey.aspx

No this isn't the one i got. But what is wrong with this coating?

sambeaux2249
07-04-2010, 01:16
Is this the grey one your talking about?
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-tactical-grey.aspx

No this isn't the one i got. But what is wrong with this coating?

Yeah, that's it. Supposedly the grey finish is not very durable. I've heard reports that standard bore cleaners will cause the hammered finish to bubble and peel.

I have the beadblast blued version, and I love it. :)

Sam

Nutt51
07-04-2010, 14:16
Great gun for HD. It will serve you well.
I have a black finish express that I am going to
send to J.D. at www.apitactical.com and have him
put a parkerized finish on mine.
If you ever think about changing yours or want
any info. about 870's or customizing work done,
check his page out.
I would also agree with using an I/C screw in choke.
It will shorten your barrel and is great for buckshot.
Great choice, good shooting.

ZIG-ZAG
07-05-2010, 21:05
I love this gun!

There are a few this I want to change/add (light of some sort ,shorter stock,and a normal choke tube) but other than that I love it.

I'm new to shot guns so please don't flame me... but what choke tube would be best for slugs and buck shot? I don't see myself shooting clays with this gun.
I did see a video of hickok45 shooting slugs out of a 870 with an 18inch barrel and he was hitting at 80 yards (yes I know he's an exceptional shot) so I'm guessing it is possible to use this thing for hunting in the future.

This is going to be a HD gun / range toy for the most part but may also be used for hunting in the future.

snuffy33
07-05-2010, 23:55
My choices are:
Slugs: Mod
Buckshot: Cyl or Imp cyl

Z71bill
07-09-2010, 14:55
I love this gun!

There are a few this I want to change/add (light of some sort ,shorter stock,and a normal choke tube) but other than that I love it.

I'm new to shot guns so please don't flame me... but what choke tube would be best for slugs and buck shot? I don't see myself shooting clays with this gun.
I did see a video of hickok45 shooting slugs out of a 870 with an 18inch barrel and he was hitting at 80 yards (yes I know he's an exceptional shot) so I'm guessing it is possible to use this thing for hunting in the future.

This is going to be a HD gun / range toy for the most part but may also be used for hunting in the future.

IMHO - go to Academy Sports and buy a set of choke tubes -

I bought a used 30" barrel for my 870 so I could swap out the 18.5" cylinder bore barrel when I shoot clays.

I can't recall the cost - buy seems like I picked up a set of PF brand chokes - full & improved cylinder for less than one Remington brand choke would have cost. A modified choke came with the barrel.

Most manufacturers say to use full choke for buckshot (but NOT extra full) and improved cylinder for slugs.

I would not shoot slugs through a full choke on a regular basis - not that it would be unsafe if you had to - but it will cause extra wear & tear.

Modified is in between the full & improved cylinder - so it may be the best overall option for a HD shot gun - if you do not know for sure which load you may need (slugs/buckshot) - and will not have time to mess around with changing it out when you hear a bump in the night.

BTW - it is always a good idea to test pattern the buckshot load you plan to use for HD. Test a few different shells - 0 or 00 buck or whatever you plan to use - see which choke gives you the best pattern at the range you will most likely shoot.

Same thing with slugs - see which choke is most accurate.

Besides the testing is fun.

Basic info from Remington is here

http://www.remington.com/products/accessories/gun-parts/choke-tubes/probore-choke-tubes.aspx

bsg1
07-09-2010, 22:40
Just went and paid for my Remington 870 express tactical today :supergrin:

same as this one....

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-tactical.aspx

I get to pick it up tomarrow... now I just need to go buy some shells, wait till the wife sees those boxes moving into the house. :shocked:

Hope i did good. What do you guys think?

congratulations! disguise that bad boy when you take it in to the house; just put a plunger on the business end and tell the wife you're cleaning the toilets.