caliber [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : caliber

bigdollars
07-02-2010, 22:27
Mr. Ayoob, is there a pistol caliber or 2 that you prefer above others of daily carry and home defense?

I believe I recall reading an article you wrote sometime ago where you said you used a Beretta 9mm for home defense.

Thanks,

Big

Mas Ayoob
07-03-2010, 03:02
Personally, I'm comfortable with 9mm and up in an auto, .38 Special and up in a revolver. I'm more likely to carry a .45 in cold weather when its likelier to encounter heavy clothing (if the bullet plugs and turns into ball, I'd rather have .45 ball than 9mm ball).

I did indeed trick out a Jarvis Custom Beretta 92 as a home defense handgun many years ago. The home defense gun is a "pool weapon" that might be used by any of several authorized members of the family, which in my case then would have included my two young daughters, both of whom were good with .45s but one of whom ended up preferring 9mm. For that reason -- and more rounds in-gun if there was time to grab only the light-mounted pistol -- I went with 9mm.

Kids are grown and have families of their own, and today my home defense handgun is whatever I was carrying as primary that day.

Remembering that your mileage may vary,
Mas