Skype - How To? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Skype - How To?

duncan
07-04-2010, 16:12
Guys, I'm looking at my Asus netbook with Skype pre-installed and a nice webcam.

I've looked at a few websites including Skype's.

But is it free?

Really?

Pierre!
07-04-2010, 16:56
Yup! As long as you call other Skype number/ID's, you are good to go!

It's when you dial the Ground Bound or Land Line numbers that fees begin... They will take $10 credit at a time, but you will only be burning $$$ when you contact land line numbers.

HTH!

betyourlife
07-04-2010, 18:39
tagged..

IndyGunFreak
07-05-2010, 19:05
Free as in beer..

IGF

ChrisJn
07-05-2010, 19:44
Free as in beer..

IGF

I speak to my daughter back in England all the time for free. It's great to see the grandchildren on the video link.

I phone my mother in England also, using the computer as my phone at 2cents a minute to her regular phone.

Best thing since sliced bread.

IndyGunFreak
07-05-2010, 20:17
I speak to my daughter back in England all the time for free. It's great to see the grandchildren on the video link.

I phone my mother in England also, using the computer as my phone at 2cents a minute to her regular phone.

Best thing since sliced bread.

I have very limited experience with it.. I can't stand talking on a regular telephone/cell phone, let alone voice chatting on a PC... I usually rack up a whopping 20min a month on my cell phone. Last month, I set a record for futility and logged 9 whole minutes...lol(although i believe some of those calls were less than 9min, I just got docked a minute because I picked up the phone).

Just not really a chatty cathy I guess you could say.

IGF

Linux3
07-05-2010, 21:38
I usually rack up a whopping 20min a month on my cell phone. Last month, I set a record for futility and logged 9 whole minutes...lol(although i believe some of those calls were less than 9min, I just got docked a minute because I picked up the phone).
Just not really a chatty cathy I guess you could say.
IGF
Well, ya got me beat. I usually rack up around 80 minutes a month. I have a 300 minute plan with Verizon. Nothing free every minute counts. When I did the 2 year refresh they tried to sell me a new plan for 450 minutes and free nights and weekends. I kept telling the sales woman "Look at my calling history. Why would I want more minutes"? She just didn't understand.
And I had a good laugh.

unit 900
07-06-2010, 07:49
It turns out Skype calls to toll free land lines are free too. I never knew that until recently.

Sgt. Schultz
07-06-2010, 10:12
I use Skype to talk to family and friends in Germany and The Netherlands all the time, there is no way I could do it if I had to pay for it.

Pierre!
07-06-2010, 12:16
Skype is what we use to "see" our Grandkids in Nevada keep growing... but it's not our primary calling platform.

I got turned on to ooma a little more than a year ago, and it has been pretty good. Works well on the 10Meg Inet access, and we have 3 numbers on it, one of which is our old home phone number in Nevada! Kids can call anytime with no Long Distance charges! Working really well for us...

I use most of it's features, including the Premier features, and a separate business line via the Scout. You can setup Blacklists, have your VM go directly to your email (with voice message attached) and more...

Worth looking into, just be sure you setup your e911 settings!!! :wow:

HTH...

IndyGunFreak
07-06-2010, 14:56
It turns out Skype calls to toll free land lines are free too. I never knew that until recently.

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure you have to "sign up" for Skype to do that. Around $3 per month for US and Canada.. Otherwise, you have to buy "skype credits" and it's .21 per minute.

http://buy.skype.com/paymonthly/

IGF

duncan
07-06-2010, 16:14
So how do I get started? Just obtain a Skype phone number?

IndyGunFreak
07-06-2010, 16:27
So how do I get started? Just obtain a Skype phone number?

Download and install Skype, then it's really just like creating an IM handle on AIM or Yahoo or MSN... Go through the configuration setup, and it will test your hardware, and allow you to make some test calls to make sure your hardware is working.

Assuming you're just using the free, Skype to Skype service... Someone has you on their buddy list, sees you're online, and then opens up a voice chat with you, and your computer will "ring" like a telephone and you choose whether to pick it up or ignore it.

If you've used Yahoo IM, MSN, or AIM... it's very similar.

Now if you're using the paid features, I'm not sure how those work.

IGF

unit 900
07-07-2010, 11:44
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure you have to "sign up" for Skype to do that. Around $3 per month for US and Canada.. Otherwise, you have to buy "skype credits" and it's .21 per minute.

http://buy.skype.com/paymonthly/

IGF

I called for some toll free help last week on Skype, no charge. Give it a shot to an 800 number, should work fine.

IndyGunFreak
07-07-2010, 11:59
I called for some toll free help last week on Skype, no charge. Give it a shot to an 800 number, should work fine.

Sorry, I missed where you called a toll free number.. I've never tried that from skype to know if there's a charge or not.

IGF

AmericanGunWorks
07-17-2010, 13:46
I use Skype as a vital business tool. $30 a year gets you unlimited USA calls and $30 a year gets you a dialable phone number.

I didn't want the limited use of a landline and my cell phone coverage SUCKS at my office.

Right now I use googlevoice to provide me a phone number and then when someone calls that it dials my cell phone and two computers running skype. I can answer at any of them. The call quality is very good for me and its VERY cheap.

I even use it on my IPOD touch. $60 a year for unlimited calling as long as I'm in range of WIFI is really a deal for me.

Generalcarry
07-18-2010, 17:06
My friends daughter used to have her watch her grandson play in the crib while her daughter took a shower. Her daughter kept her phone on the sink in case there was a problem.
I thought is was funnier than hell, but pretty clever.