Is this normal? (Glock 20) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal? (Glock 20)

plplayer
07-04-2010, 23:57
I recently picked up a used G20. My question is there appears to be metal wearing through on the receiver.

JR
07-05-2010, 14:17
It looks ok to me but the pic is a little blurry. If you have a local gunsmith available I would run it by him to make sure.
I don’t know what "could" wear into it anyway? There is nothing in front of the slide lock lever that could even touch the frame?

plplayer
07-06-2010, 12:46
I spoke with a local gunsmith yesterday and he said it appeared to be normal, however, in speaking with Glock, they said it sounds like it's part of the front rail wearing through the receiver.

JR
07-06-2010, 17:31
Like I said, I have absolutely no idea how any part could wear into the frame? The wear location is in front of the slide lock lever. The only metal part near that location is the barrel and recoil spring. It is impossible for the barrel to touch it and if the recoil spring "somehow" scraped it you would know immediately.
Send the frame off to GI or have an Armorer check it out. Please by all means keep us posted as to the diagnosis, inquiring minds want to know?

plplayer
07-07-2010, 00:31
What it appears to be is the metal front rail inserts are one piece. I stripped my friends newer G20 and a lot of parts slightly differ from mine. I thought about sending it into Glock, unfortunately there is currently a 4-6 week turn around. I also discovered the spacing sleeve is cracked.

JR
07-07-2010, 10:49
Your pics have improved!
I don’t see a problem with the area you have circled?
Yes there is metal showing however I think it is because polymer failed to adhere at this point. I also think the area you are calling a crack is actually a casting mark.
The good news is: If there (really) is a problem, the frame will be under full warrantee. I would not be afraid to shoot it as is.

plplayer
07-07-2010, 12:57
Thanks, I definitely going to continue to shoot it, just periodically check the inserts to make sure they don't become loose. I'm planning on sending it into to Glock eventually, after I get a G29. Thanks again for your responses.

JR
07-08-2010, 14:14
Glock had a bad batch of G22 pistols (E series) get released a few years ago. The frame rails were pretty weak in this batch. You never knew there was a problem until the gun was field stripped. At that time the rails would sometimes fall out!

Sounds scary but think about it.... The gun was running all the way up until the time you took it apart. At that time it was evident the gun was broke but...... It was still running until that time.

Pretty cool indeed!