Seagate external usb drives [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Seagate external usb drives

aspartz
07-05-2010, 08:45
I have a 1.5TB seagate external usb drive. It has been running happily as my backup drive for many months. Unfortunately, it's now full. I was going to get another one, but the majority of the online reviews are negative citing drive hardware death in a matter of weeks. Did I get lucky and get a rare good one?

Does anyone else have any experience with this drive?

ARS

GIockGuy24
07-05-2010, 14:24
I think the drive itself is alright. It's the USB electronic bits that overheat or go bad. A better bet would be an internal drive and a USB box. There are certain USB-hard drive chip set known to be better than others but they tend to be in the cheapo boxes for some reason. Even if it does go bad you can change the box. The Seagate boxes aren't easy to open without tearring them up. The drive in the Seagate boxes is a standard 3.5 inch SATA drive. You could even get one of those heavy duty server hard drives and put in a USB box.

aspartz
07-05-2010, 22:26
I think the drive itself is alright. It's the USB electronic bits that overheat or go bad. A better bet would be an internal drive and a USB box. There are certain USB-hard drive chip set known to be better than others but they tend to be in the cheapo boxes for some reason. Even if it does go bad you can change the box. The Seagate boxes aren't easy to open without tearring them up. The drive in the Seagate boxes is a standard 3.5 inch SATA drive. You could even get one of those heavy duty server hard drives and put in a USB box.
Most of the reviews state that the HD itself started clicking. I may have to trust that the 1st one worked. Being a portable drive, maybe people were abusing them...

ARS