Moss 590A1 14" SBS [Archive] - Glock Talk


View Full Version : Moss 590A1 14" SBS

07-05-2010, 15:31
I would like to end up with a 14" SBS Mossberg 590A1.

This is my plan let me know if anyone sees a problem with this and / or if anyone has done it.

1) Buy a Mossberg 590A1 18" Shotgun. Probably 51518.

2) Do the Form 1

3) Get the receiver engraved

4) Order a 14" Ghost Ring Barrel for the 590A1.

In looking on-line it looks like the mag tube setup / barrel attachment point is the same for the 18"/14" 590A1. Tax stamps issued resolved you could just pop the 18" off and the 14" on. Can anyone confirm this?

I have done a SBR with an AR already so I am familiar with that process but want to make sure I will end up with the SBS I want without having to mod the receiver other then engraving or have to mod the mag tube setup.


07-07-2010, 10:11
Just did step #1. Ordered a #51517 for $419 shipped from Bud's.

07-07-2010, 18:08
Wouldn't it have been cheaper to just buy that model as a SBS from the factory?

07-07-2010, 19:07
Wouldn't it have been cheaper to just buy that model as a SBS from the factory?

Maybe but my buddy is an FFL and I get transfers for $5. If I bought a SBS I would have to go through a Class III FFL which my buddy is not.

Based on this I thought the way I went would be cheaper or pretty close and I could hold onto the shotgun while I wait for the tax stamp.

Identify an ATF Licensed Dealer (Machine Gun) dealer near you. Impact Guns has reputable dealers willing to do transfers on file all over the country. We will assist you in locating one near you. Put his shipping address on your online order. Note: Donít know a dealer who is licensed to hander your Machine Gun Transfer? First, ask us to help you locate one, or-- Tips: contact several regular dealers and ask them if they know of a class 3 dealer, or a good source for leads are local shooting clubs, firing ranges, NRA members, etc. Your local class 3 dealer will be doing the ATF Form 4 transfer to you. He will usually charge $50.00 to $100.00 for this service. Payment in full is necessary before transfer papers will be submitted to B.A.T.F.E. If you are paying by check, we will hold the item for you for a reasonable time while awaiting your payment. We reserve the right to reject an order for any reason.

I thought about just buying this but it is already $140 more then Bud's on the 18" then add in $50-100 for the Class III FFL. I assume I just buy the 14" barrel for less then the $200 I would already be behind.

07-07-2010, 21:51
Have you located a 14" barrel? Doubt your going to find one for less than $200.

07-08-2010, 06:23
Have you located a 14" barrel? Doubt your going to find one for less than $200.

I am hoping to call Mossberg and order one. They sell barrels direct to customers.

07-08-2010, 10:52
I did a similar thing. However since I already had a 20" A1 I ordered the 14" kit which has the barrel, mag tube, and foreend and took my shotgun to my SOT. Paid him the $50 transfer fee, sent a check for $200 to BATFE, and now I get to wait. Once the transfer is approved I'll have a 51686 (14" bead sight A1 with Speedfeed stock).
The problem with ordering the SBS is that you have to find someone who has one in stock, that doesn't want an arm and a leg for it, that has the configuration you want, and that doesn't require letterhead.