What happened to Essex? (alternative?) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Essex? (alternative?)

remat
07-05-2010, 15:41
So, what happened to Essex Arms? I missed their low cost frames and slides and there seems to be no price comparable alternative...

FLIPPER 348
07-05-2010, 17:26
They are still around but down til the end of the year but the frames & slides are avail through the usual parts houses. I buy spec 1911A1 frames/slides from them on occasion.

Rinspeed
07-05-2010, 18:53
Take a look at Foster Ind., they are a sister company of Caspian and sell frames and slides with slight blems a decent discount.

http://www.fosterind.com/

ROGER4314
07-21-2010, 22:44
I had a .45 built on an Essex frame. It was loose, rattled like a box of rocks and only had about 5% finish. It shot like a dream and after I sold it, I tried to buy it back repeatedly. The new owner was smarter than I was. He refused to part with it.

Flash

MD357
07-21-2010, 22:57
The 1911 world hasn't been the same since they stopped production.

brzusa.1911
07-22-2010, 07:01

:dunno:

MD357
07-22-2010, 08:17
:dunno:

Clicky ------> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm

brzusa.1911
07-22-2010, 10:45
Clicky ------> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm

Clicky ------> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm :wavey:

remat
07-23-2010, 18:41
Just looking for some low cost alternatives to mess around with. Foster is a good alternative. Thanks

HAIL CAESAR
07-23-2010, 21:37

Funny...VERY TRUE....but funny!!

:wavey:

MD357
07-23-2010, 22:50
Just looking for some low cost alternatives to mess around with. Foster is a good alternative. Thanks

Don't mess with Essex unless you want to chase problems with out of spec frames.

remat
07-24-2010, 03:11
Don't mess with Essex unless you want to chase problems with out of spec frames.

Good advice, can't find any Essex anyway :)

FLIPPER 348
07-24-2010, 10:05

total BS, I've built several 1911s using Essex frames and never had an issue.

BOGE
07-24-2010, 12:02

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo129/Boge_1960/sarcasm_detector.jpg

remat
07-24-2010, 12:04

Seems to be mixed reviews on this internet thing. I figured they were pretty good since Brownells and Midway catalogs them.

I have never actually worked with one, but it is pretty moot since nobody has any to sell.

Rinspeed
07-24-2010, 12:18

I agree with that.

MD357
07-24-2010, 14:58

It's not total BS, it's reality by my esperiences. I remember standing in Nowlin's shop years ago and having their pistolsmith show me an Essex frame that had one rail higher than the other. He had another one where the pinholes were out of spec. The pistolsmiths I trust for advice won't use them and by my experiences, anyone that does quality work doesn't generally use them either.

With Foster/Caspian putting out the quality that they do, there's no reason to cut corners on a frame and slide.

HAIL CAESAR
07-24-2010, 15:06
Can you get a good frame from Essex? Yes.

Have they put out A LOT of stinkers? Yes.

DRAGON1970
07-24-2010, 15:47

Wow, who knew?? I have built four guns with Essex slides/frame and never a problem with anything being out of spec.

DRAGON1970
07-24-2010, 15:48
It's not total BS, it's reality by my esperiences. I remember standing in Nowlin's shop years ago and having their pistolsmith show me an Essex frame that had one rail higher than the other. He had another one where the pinholes were out of spec. The pistolsmiths I trust for advice won't use them and by my experiences, anyone that does quality work doesn't generally use them either.

With Foster/Caspian putting out the quality that they do, there's no reason to cut corners on a frame and slide.

How many years ago?? Have you ever built a 1911?

MD357
07-24-2010, 16:30
Wow, who knew?? I have built four guns with Essex slides/frame and never a problem with anything being out of spec.

That's great and more power to you, I've seen their junkers and once again.... nobody that builds quality uses them regularly that I have seen. Budget/first time builds may be different but I learned a long time ago if you buy cheap, you usually buy twice. FWIW, a quick search on some of the other forums and you will see that it's no secret that Essex has had QC problems.

Geez, what's a Foster frame cost nowdays? a little over $100?

DRAGON1970
07-24-2010, 17:06
That's great and more power to you, I've seen their junkers and once again.... nobody that builds quality uses them regularly that I have seen. Budget/first time builds may be different but I learned a long time ago if you buy cheap, you usually buy twice. FWIW, a quick search on some of the other forums and you will see that it's no secret that Essex has had QC problems.

Geez, what's a Foster frame cost nowdays? a little over $100?

Again...have you ever built one?????????

MD357
07-24-2010, 17:53
Again...have you ever built one?????????

I'm working on a Norinco project as we speak but it's not a ground up build. Probably will be tackling that next year. I don't build 1911s for a living, but I DO listen closely to those that do. How about you?

HAIL CAESAR
07-24-2010, 18:07
How many years ago?? Have you ever built a 1911?

Yeap, I have. Several years ago and one recently for another guy. I didn't want to use it, but he already bought the parts. The mainspring hole was not in-spec on the recent one, but I made do. The other holes on the frame were abit loose, but he was happy.

DRAGON1970
07-24-2010, 22:12
I'm working on a Norinco project as we speak but it's not a ground up build. Probably will be tackling that next year. I don't build 1911s for a living, but I DO listen closely to those that do. How about you?

Four Essex builds, one Caspian and Les Baer slide/frame kit from Brownells. People I shoot IDPA or USPSA with usually like them so much they buy them from me.

FLIPPER 348
07-24-2010, 22:45
It's not total BS, it's reality by my esperiences. .

poppycock

..... your 'pistolsmiths' must be the experts though

MD357
07-24-2010, 22:54
Four Essex builds, one Caspian and Les Baer slide/frame kit from Brownells. People I shoot IDPA or USPSA with usually like them so much they buy them from me.

That's great. However, this doesn't negate the fact that a lot of people have had problems with them AND Foster/Caspian puts out a better product. Can you name anyone that uses them to put food on the table? Ever wonder why? :cool:

Rinspeed
07-24-2010, 23:14
That's great. However, this doesn't negate the fact that a lot of people have had problems with them

A lot of people have had issues with Sig frames cracking, that doesn't mean it wasn't 15 years ago.

MD357
07-24-2010, 23:16
poppycock

..... your 'pistolsmiths' must be the experts though

more so than other keyboard "experts" IMO..... since I can actually reference their work and reputation. :whistling:

FLIPPER 348
07-25-2010, 12:03
maybe one day you will be your own 'pistolsmith' and reference what you build

remat
07-25-2010, 14:27
It seems to me that if they are not available then nobody can use them even if they wanted to... :P

MD357
07-25-2010, 14:36
maybe one day you will be your own 'pistolsmith' and reference what you build

Very true, the good thing is that I'm already smart enough to stay away from them. :wavey:

Just curious as to why you get all butthurt about this and take the strawman route?

FLIPPER 348
07-25-2010, 16:22
my butt does not hurt but thanks for asking

You and your 'pistolsmiths' are moronically bashing Essex, it's the Internet so that's your right. The holes all need to be line-reamed for best performance in any frame you buy. When you start building your own 1911s you will understand.

HAIL CAESAR
07-25-2010, 16:44
If you go with Essex or not is the person in questions prerogative.

Again, they make good stuff. They have put out some substandard products.

None spec frame holes and eggshaped holes are some that I have seen. I have seen some pretty strange rails too.

A master class smith could fix these issues...with considerable expense. Sometimes at much more cost than another frame.

Also their CS has lacked for sometime. If you had a problem, you where on your own.

pistolwrench
07-25-2010, 17:43
"..... your 'pistolsmiths' must be the experts though ."

Absurd!.
Just because an individual has supported his family for 25 years with his 1911 work, hardly gives him the right to bash Essex!
I mean......has he seen all of them?
A smith like that is prolly just jealous of Essex's success.
:cool:

Based on a few minutes of research, I would recommend the advice of
kalashniKev, Flipper and AKAPennypincher over any self-proclaimed 1911 'expert'.

HAIL CAESAR
07-25-2010, 17:56

Absurd!.
Just because an individual has supported his family for 25 years with his 1911 work, hardly gives him the right to bash Essex!

kalashniKev, Flipper and AKAPennypincher over any self-proclaimed 1911 'expert'.

I'm beginning to love your sense of humor.

Hokie1911
07-25-2010, 18:00

Absurd!.

:rofl:

MD357
07-25-2010, 18:23
You and your 'pistolsmiths' are moronically bashing Essex, it's the Internet so that's your right. The holes all need to be line-reamed for best performance in any frame you buy. When you start building your own 1911s you will understand

Geez, you really are butthurt here aren't ya? You SAY you've done some builds withe Essex with no problems. Hey great!! Why do you come unglued when I state that many have had problems? It's honestly something that is pretty easy to reference. Also, did you miss the comment about the uneven rails? Either way, if I was paying someone to build and or building myself I wouldn't want to chase problems or make a GS chase problems. Don't like it? Change your underwear and move on.

Fact remains that I've been shown and told of inconsistencies by individuals I trust, whose experience goes beyond a keyboard. Caspian/Foster frames aren't that pricey and they are a better and definately more consistent product. Now call me crazy, you don't have to be super intelligent to see that the relative price difference just isn't worth it because of said inconsistencies. Now if you can't handle these facts, then I dunno what to tell ya. Maybe if you keep calling everyone else a moron it will help? :supergrin:

BOGE
07-25-2010, 19:54
...Fact remains that I've been shown and told of inconsistencies by individuals I trust...

I have to agree with this based upon those I have seen as well as opinions of `smiths I trust. Granted. occasionally there`s a diamond in a mountain of turds.......................:whistling:

Trey83
07-25-2010, 20:19
I have to agree with this based upon those I have seen as well as opinions of `smiths I trust. Granted. occasionally there`s a diamond in a mountain of turds.......................:whistling:

Or you could just spend the time to polish the turds :supergrin:
http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq301/whitestang04/turd-polish20copy.jpg