Biggest, baddest slug available for 12g smoothbore? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Biggest, baddest slug available for 12g smoothbore?

Aceman
07-05-2010, 17:02
I'm looking for a truly over the top slug. something I can put out of my Mossberg 500 that is just ridiculous in terms of speed/power.

Can be up to 3"....Magnum in fact prefered.

Final point (just go with this - don't ask why...) is there anything wrong / problematic with painting the shell? Maybe spraypaint? I want to designate these rounds clearly.

DrugRunR
07-05-2010, 17:04
The only possible issue I can see on painting the shells is that in a rapid fire situation the barrel will heat up and the paint on the shells may cause the shells to stick in the chamber or a possible build up situation.
Same issue some people have with Wolf Steel cased ammo. The lacquer coating causes buildup in the chambers or AR's

Glockdude1
07-05-2010, 17:07
385 Grains.
http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_214138_imageset_01?$main-Large$

:cool:

method
07-05-2010, 17:21
385 Grains.
http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_214138_imageset_01?$main-Large$

:cool:

385 grains is light for a 12 gauge slug...and those are sabots, meant for rifled bores.

These are what the OP is looking for....http://dixieslugs.com/home.html In particular, their IXL-DGS... 870 grain hard cast slug at 1200 fps.

If you want something easier to find, Brenneke slugs, especially the Black Magic magnums, are the way to go.

alexanderg23
07-05-2010, 17:24
Winchester PDX1 that are a slug followed by 3 00buck shot pellets, sounds like money to me!

byf43
07-05-2010, 18:47
Don't know about 'speed', but, if you want a slug that is evil, wicked, mean, and nasty, Brenneke Rotweil (sp??).

Awesome slug.

Now, on the other side of this. . . . any slug that is used (and hit's the intended 2-legged target) at HD distances is going to 'clean the clock' of the 'bad guy', or intruder.
The mess is going to be stomach-turning.

Example: A good friend of a co-worker was hit in his right thigh, approximately even with his 'private parts', from a distance of 100 yards.
(This guy was in a treestand, on his own property, and a poacher took a shot at him!)
This guy was knocked out of his treestand, and the slug removed over 4" of meat and bone from his leg!
He came verrrrrrrrrrrrry close to bleeding out, and he came even closer to losing his leg!
This guy was in the hospital for over 6 months, and walks with a severe limp, to this day.
This happened in 1987.

Slugs (on thin-skinned) targets, show awesome results.

wrenrj1
07-05-2010, 18:53
Be sure to shoot the biggest, baddest, and meanest several times and let us know how it feels...I went with #4 buckshot in 2 3/4.

Syclone538
07-05-2010, 21:03
Don't know about 'speed', but, if you want a slug that is evil, wicked, mean, and nasty, Brenneke Rotweil (sp??).

Awesome slug.

Now, on the other side of this. . . . any slug that is used (and hit's the intended 2-legged target) at HD distances is going to 'clean the clock' of the 'bad guy', or intruder.
The mess is going to be stomach-turning.

Example: A good friend of a co-worker was hit in his right thigh, approximately even with his 'private parts', from a distance of 100 yards.
(This guy was in a treestand, on his own property, and a poacher took a shot at him!)
This guy was knocked out of his treestand, and the slug removed over 4" of meat and bone from his leg!
He came verrrrrrrrrrrrry close to bleeding out, and he came even closer to losing his leg!
This guy was in the hospital for over 6 months, and walks with a severe limp, to this day.
This happened in 1987.

Slugs (on thin-skinned) targets, show awesome results.

I hope they caught the guy.

Aceman
07-05-2010, 21:07
I absolutely want rifled slugs.

This is a "special occasion" round for when only maximum boom will do.

The Dixie terminator seems a very interesting possibility....

What else do you have out there?

Texas357
07-05-2010, 22:09
What are you shooting at?

byf43
07-06-2010, 05:37
I hope they caught the guy.

Not that I'm aware of.
There were a couple of suspects, one of which was a 16 year old that had previously been caught hunting on Jim's land, without permission.

awoodpd13
07-06-2010, 05:54
BufflaoBore says they will have an 820oz available in 2011!!!

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=58 :wow::wow::wow:

cj5mrt
07-06-2010, 08:06
820oz?!!!! A 50+ pound slug!!! Now that would be awesome! J/K.
Even 820Gr would be devastating.

Mike

Mwinter
07-06-2010, 15:11
The Brenneke Black Magic is a real bruiser on both ends.

The Latvian Mono and Hexo loads are interesting...I bought a few boxes of each variety from J&G Sales but have yet to test them. Steel flatpoint slugs and steel JHP slugs, polymer driving bands to allow use in smooth or rifled bores, in 2.75 standard and 2.75 Magnum loads.

Aceman
07-06-2010, 18:48
What are you shooting at?

Nothing in particular. Just looking for something entertaining to kill up old refrigerators, wrecked cars, the odd rabid moose or bear....whatever.

Just in case someone says "Nuke it from orbit - it's the only way to be sure." I'll be able say "got that covered."

Aceman
07-06-2010, 18:51
Be sure to shoot the biggest, baddest, and meanest several times and let us know how it feels...I went with #4 buckshot in 2 3/4.

I know it won't feel good - but that's not the point.

I personally use 2 3/4 low recoil for HD and practice routinely with regular 2 3/4.

But every now and then I get 5 magnums...just to make sure I keep on top of my shoulder pocket push/pull!

GoBow
07-06-2010, 19:33
3" Remington Buckhammers are flat out brutal to shoot. 1 3/8 oz of whoop*** Perfect example of kills on one end, wounds on the other...

spyder1969
07-06-2010, 21:40
Winchester PDX1 that are a slug followed by 3 00buck shot pellets, sounds like money to me!

I have those. Very nice!:supergrin:

awoodpd13
07-07-2010, 06:42
820oz?!!!! A 50+ pound slug!!! Now that would be awesome! J/K.
Even 820Gr would be devastating.

Mike

Ooopppsssss...:whistling:

RockyMtnScotsman
07-08-2010, 09:58
If you're set on painting the shell (and I'm not sure I would for the same reason DRR cited) use Krylon Fusion (or similar) that's made to bond with the polymer at the molecular level.

Aceman
07-08-2010, 16:27
If you're set on painting the shell (and I'm not sure I would for the same reason DRR cited) use Krylon Fusion (or similar) that's made to bond with the polymer at the molecular level.

Great call!

Faulkner
07-10-2010, 16:26
I use Federal Hydra Shok Sabot Slugs for both duty use and deer hunting out of my 590 with ghost rings and 20 inch smoothbore. Sure, sabots work better out of rifled barrel, but that does not mean they don't work well out of smoothbore. I can put 5 for 5 on a 6 inch gong at 100 yards . . . may not be rifle accuracy but it's in the kill zone of a deer.

I get better 100 yard accuracy with sabots than Foster type slugs in my smoothbore.

wrenrj1
07-10-2010, 19:03
I know it won't feel good - but that's not the point.

I personally use 2 3/4 low recoil for HD and practice routinely with regular 2 3/4.

But every now and then I get 5 magnums...just to make sure I keep on top of my shoulder pocket push/pull!

Glad you got my point. Big loads hurt! but if you are going to use them you need to practice with them at a minimum occasionally as recoil, pain etc. does effect follow up shots. Adrenalin is a good thing in these situations.

Another Miller
07-10-2010, 20:39
Saw an ad somewhere for a shell called the exploder,I think it was one of those gimmick places like firequest or somewhere.Still probably a waste of money anyways and they probably dont really do what the ad says they do.

It would be the ultimate 12 gauge defensive round though,a mini exploding shell on contact.Definately give a angry bear a very bad day.

TexasNativeDRJH
07-10-2010, 23:41
BufflaoBore says they will have an 820oz available in 2011!!!

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=58 :wow::wow::wow:

From the site: "We plan to introduce An 820gr. 12 ga. slug load in 3 inch mag. and 2 inch mag."

I wonder what they mean by 2 inch mag?

Street Cruiser
07-10-2010, 23:41
How bout the Premier Bonded Accutip Sabot from Remington. It looks mean. Should definitely knock someones codpiece in their watch pocket.http://%09%20%20AccuTip%20Slug%20%2012%20Gauge%20AccuTip%20Slug%20%09%20%20AccuTip%20at%205%20yards%20%20Ac cuTip%20Slug%20at%205%20yards%20%09%20%20AccuTip%20at%2050%20yards%20%20AccuTip%20Slug%20at%2050%20y ards%20%09%20%20AccuTip%20at%20100%20yards

Snowman92D
07-11-2010, 03:21
Check out Brenneke's at www.brennekeusa.com and I think you'll have an answer to your questions that is extremely well documented in the field. Especially taking various factors like commercial availability, price, accuracy and terminal performance into consideration.

The Brenneke 3-inch-magnum "Black Magic" is superbly accurate in any 12-gauge I've tried it from, if you have the ability to take the recoil. I've gotten sub-four-inch groups at 100 yards repeatedly with that load.

A better way to go, in my opinion, is the 2 and 3/4-inch Brenneke "Green Lightning" and "Special Forces Short Magnum". If anything, they're both a shade more accurate than the 3-inch Black Magic and both have tremendous power and penetration.

The Brenneke folks tell me that, other than the "Special Force Short Magnum" having a bright red coating...and the "Green Lightning" having an emerald green coating...they're exactly the same projectile, powder charge and alloy hardness. The Special Forces version is marketed to LE for hard target jobs, like at vehicle checkpoints, and the Green Lightning version is marketed to hunters who need really deep penetration.

If you wanna rip up hard targets, either will make you smile, plus the 2 and 3/4-inch will cycle through 3-inch shotgun chambers without a bobble while 3-inch shells sometimes bind up. My experience but YMMV.

I know a guy in the Alaska wildlife biology dept who has used Brenneke's 12-gauge 2 and 3/4-inch original "Classic Magnum" (which is what Alaska troopers currently use) and more recently the slightly heavier Green Lightning slug on more large "problem" bears and moose than anyone I know. Both do adequately with usually a couple good hits needed...but he gives the edge to the Green Lightning saying he's frequently gotten through-and-through broadside penetration on large animals. He does his shooting at short range, like 30 yards or so, but it has to work for him in his job, and he recommended the Brenneke's to me.

9jeeps
07-11-2010, 04:50
Aceman:

Did you find Big Foot?

method
07-11-2010, 14:48
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/6602/0000475ct7.jpg

Only because they keep getting brought up, here's my experience with sabot slugs from a smooth bore. On the left are 3 Remington Copper Solids from my Saiga 12 at 30 yards. As for the potential of this ammo, I've gotten 3 into 1.25" at 110 yards from my Marlin Slugmaster, a rifled, fixed barrel slug gun.

Foster and Brenneke type slugs (the group on the right is Wolf slugs, of the Brenneke type) have a weight forward balance that is self stabilizing. The universal analogy is that they're like a badminton birdie...all the weight is in the front, and the tail naturally follows.

Sabot slugs do not have a weight forward bias, they do not self stabilize. They need to be spun. Even if they did OK out of a smooth bore, they offer absolutely no advantage over a 'rifled' slug inside 100 yards. In fact as far as penetration goes, Brennekes will go much deeper.

Their advantage lies in their lower weight and lower coefficient of drag permitting higher velocity and a flatter trajectory, and allowing dedicated slug guns with fixed rifled barrels to reach out to 200+ yards, whereas a rifled slug is pretty well out of steam, let alone accuracy, at 150.

humanguerrilla
07-20-2010, 15:45
DDupleks

zx2loon
07-22-2010, 12:55
From their website....

SAFETY WARNING AND RECALL NOTICE
BRENNEKE BLACK MAGIC MAGNUM
12 GA 3” CARTRIDGES
Brenneke of America, L.P., has announced a recall of certain lots of its Black Magic

Magnum 12-gauge 3” (76mm) cartridges.
CUSTOMERS SHOULD NOT USE THE
CARTRIDGES BECAUSE THEY POSE A RISK OF SERIOUS PERSONAL INJURY.
The recall applies only to cartridges from the following lot numbers, which are printed on
the inside of the top box flap as shown at the bottom of this page:
If you do not have the box to determine whether your cartridges are from the recalled
lots, please call the number below and Brenneke will help make that determination.
The recall does not apply to other lot numbers of this model cartridge
or to any other Brenneke ammunition, including the Black Magic Short
Magnum 12 gauge 2 ¾” (70mm) cartridge.
Brenneke of America, L.P. has determined that a limited number of the cartridges from
these lots may contain low- or no-powder charges that may result in the slug remaining
in the barrel. Firing a second shot into the obstructed barrel may cause firearm damage
and may subject the shooter and bystanders to a risk of serious personal injury.
Remedy:

Customers SHOULD NOT USE the cartridges and should not keep them
where they could be used by others. Customers should immediately

contact Brenneke
at

1-877-684-0477, between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Central Time, Monday to Friday, to
make arrangements for the return and replacement of the cartridges. Customers may
also call that number with any other questions about the recall.
Lot number printed on box flap
Imprint on

cadjak
07-31-2010, 21:34
I used to brag that I enjoyed recoil. I shot lots of hot 45-70, 12ga of all sorts, lots and lots of 500 S&W. I thought I was hot sh.., er, hot stuff. Then in 2005 I touched off some Dixie Terminators. Each round had me SERIOUSLY regretting my decision to pull the trigger. The idea of a fast, aimed follow up shot seems real unlikely. I only mentioned the year because I think they had a hot and heavy version of the Terminator back then. I don't know if the current load is comparable. I'd be surprised if any other hot 12ga slug could hammer as hard.:brickwall:

mixflip
08-01-2010, 11:07
I'm looking for a truly over the top slug. something I can put out of my Mossberg 500 that is just ridiculous in terms of speed/power.

Can be up to 3"....Magnum in fact prefered.

Final point (just go with this - don't ask why...) is there anything wrong / problematic with painting the shell? Maybe spraypaint? I want to designate these rounds clearly.

Here is my over the top 12 gauge ammo. Its an armor piercing round. Its got a lead finned body with a steel shaft penetrator. I got it at a gun show. There was a guy who had a booth that specialized in shotgun ammo. I also picked up some double slugs and bolo rounds.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/CIMG5728.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/CIMG5734.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/CIMG5738.jpg

gnasty1521
08-01-2010, 18:31
I am sure 00 buck will kill refrigerators, but I was going to recommend the exotic stuff shown above.

WoodenPlank
08-02-2010, 07:42
Bolo rounds are illegal in Florida, as are Flechette rounds that have multiple projectiles. That is the only really inexplicable part of FL gun law to me. The same statute also bans dragons breath shotgun shells and AP handgun ammo (which is banned at a federal level anyway).

ETA: Florida Statutes, Chapter 790.31 (http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0790/SEC31.HTM&Title=-%3E2009-%3ECh0790-%3ESection%2031#0790.31)

Preußen
08-02-2010, 10:49
Brenneke KO slugs:
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=91132

Brenneke Green Lightning 1-1/4oz slugs:
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=113976

Brenneke Black Magic 1-3/8 oz slugs:
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=91133

BRENNEKE USA Black Magic Slug

For Rifled or smoothbore Barrels
2 in. groups at 50 yards, 3 in. groups at 100 yards with smoothbore barrels
Brenneke 12 Ga. 3 in. Magnum Slug.
BRENNEKE Black Magic Slug
One of the heaviest slugs on the market, the Black Magic Magnum is devastating on the biggest, toughest prey. It is so powerful that it is often the choice of professional guides in Alaska and Africa to back up their clients when hunting dangerous game.
Brenneke's CleanSpeed™ coating gives “clean kills” an entirely new meaning by virtually eliminating lead fouling within the barrel. The Black Magic’s patented B.E.T.® wad was created to transfer maximum energy to the target throughout its flight path, while maintaining accuracy that rivals many centerfire rifles. It is an ideal choice for anyone who may encounter large or dangerous game, as well as for the deer hunter seeking maximum power, range, and flexibility in the field.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Mfg Item Num: SL-123BMM
Category: AMMO SHOTSHELLS
Gauge :12 GA
Type :Lead
Length :3 in.
Ounces :1-3/8 oz
Muzzle Velocity :1500 fps
Muzzle Energy: 3014 ft/lb

I wouldn't hesitate to take on an angry T-Rex or a charging Triceratops with the Black Magic slugs..

f150man
08-05-2010, 18:22
The biggest of the slugs that is easily found is the Federal Classic 3" 1 1/4oz slug. They will run about 1,600ft/sec out of a 26-28" barrel and around 1400ft/sec out of an 18 1/2" barrel. It's my slug of choice w/ a smooth bore shotgun.

ctfireman
08-09-2010, 20:13
Wow i never knew they made such nasty slugs i want em!