Carrying Revolvers versus Semiautos [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carrying Revolvers versus Semiautos

CDR_Glock
07-06-2010, 07:49
Mas

When I carry a semiautomatic pistol, I carry one spare magazine for the purposes of a malfunction (i.e Failure to extract), moreso than for the purposes of extra ammunition.

For the purposes of carrying a revolver, I do not carry spare ammunition. If I have more than 3 assailants, I should have done something to avoid a situation like that. I have lived this long without getting myself into a situation where that could be a possibility. If I am need more than 5 shots, I probably did something terribly wrong. Anyways, I do not feel the need to carry spare ammunition (i.e. speedstrip or speedloader). When I had first started carrying, I carried two revolvers (5 shot 357s with +P ammo).

My question for you is that am I wrong in assuming that 5 shots are enough?

What do you recommend, as a non-law enforcement/regular citizen?

Thanks,

CDR Glock

Mas Ayoob
07-06-2010, 08:51
I believe you were wise to re-think it, and I'd still recommend spare ammo, minimum one full reload. In defensive use, hit ratio drops, and one hit isn't always enough. Doing that math has led a lot of folks to autoloaders. When cops carried revolvers, they were generally mandated to have spare ammo on board, and their mission was facing the same perps you are worried about.

Even something as mundane as pest eradication can leave you with an empty gun. I recall a very tenacious rabid raccoon that took five .45 rounds to put down (four through the chest before he left the tree, one through the neck to finish on the ground), and a very fast-moving cottonmouth whose head didn't evaporate until the sixth .357 SIG round, 'cause I missed him the first five times in the dark. I for one would hate to go home from that with an empty gun.

best,
Mas

CDR_Glock
07-07-2010, 19:27
Thank you, Mas.

Those stories/experiences have been taken to heart. I will carry a speedloader.