Hornady CD versus Pow R' Ball .45 Opinions please [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hornady CD versus Pow R' Ball .45 Opinions please

ancient_serpent
07-06-2010, 13:40
Hello,
I would like to get some opinions; I carry a Kimber Pro CDP II (4 inch barrel) and I am choosing between two ammunition types:

Pow R' Ball 165 gr +P
Hornady Critical Defense 185 gr

If anyone has experience or has conducted their own testing (accuracy, reliability, ballistics gell) I would very much like to hear your opinions. Thanks everyone.

BOGE
07-07-2010, 18:37
Pow `R Ball all the way. It`s a great round and although gel tests are not the end all/be all it opens up the same in all tests.

ancient_serpent
07-12-2010, 00:46
Yeah, I've seen alot of ballistics tests on both rounds. I can't help but wonder if a heavier bullet (at a slightly slower velocity) would be a better choice, though.

CanyonMan
07-12-2010, 07:14
OP. My answer to your question is , I would not carry either one in my EDC M1911 45acp. I've tested enough power ball out here on the ranch in different media to see it fail. Even had one blow up like a dirt clod against a brick wall (literally) by shooting a old tail gate of a pick up truck at about 4' away with PB in a G27 .40cal. When I say blow up, I mean just that, it exploded like a tiny dirt clod only leaving a barely visible ding in the tail gate, could hardly see it. Others into different media 'other than just a jello block' never satisfied me to be a user of them. I have a 45 because I like what 45's do. Fire big heavy chunks of lead although slow, most effective and have been for ever.

Don't try to turn a Humvee into a VW. ha.

I would take the Hornady round hands down over the PB, but I do not like that one (you named ) either, because of the Ballistic tip. Our test have shown, (again) in diverse media, that the plastic tip working as an Hydraulic, opens to quickly therefore it surrenders itself to more shallow penetration. The copper/lead content at the nose must be made thinner in order to allow the hydraulic to work. VS. Standard XTP open cavity JHP's which use a natural Hydraulic (the human body) to bring about expansion, and much needed penetration. Not just LEO's may have to shoot through a host of different barriers in a given life threatening situation. Things can happen to anyone any where, any time.

I would reccomend to you, (since you mentioned XTP's) the Hornady 230gr XTP TAP FPD. Excellent choice for 45acp.

You can check it out for yourself at Hornady's sight, and look for some post on CC here about this round as well. 230gr Winchester PDX1 is another very good choice. This too, has been tested here on CC on the "furniture Penetration thread."

I simply suggest, don't get caught up in the internet hype of designer rounds, or rapid expanders that limit the fool out penetration.

HTH's

Stay safe bud. ;)

CanyonMan

GunFighter45ACP
07-12-2010, 10:35
:goodpost:

BOGE
07-12-2010, 13:39
Here´s some data:

http://www.gunblast.com/PowRBall.htm

CanyonMan
07-12-2010, 14:30
Problem is: That old boy don't carry PB for his carry ammo. Plus easy to place astamp on what helps make a living for ya...

CM

fredj338
07-12-2010, 14:46
Like CM, I am not a fan of either. The PB is too light in bullet wt. & the HCD is not quite proven enough. If you want to go lighter bullet wt, the 185gr or 200grXTP is a great round. not as big on penetration, but w/ lighter/faster JHP, it actualy works out better for penetration, a good thing.

ancient_serpent
07-14-2010, 06:24
It's not that I want a lighter bullet. More than anything else, I want the rounded bullet profile that PB provides. If there is a standard 230 gr hollow point that has a very rounded bullet profile, I would switch over in a heartbeat.
I love the 1911 design, that said, the cartridge has to go through some violent maneuvering before making it into the chamber (as, say compared to a Glock).
I'm open to any suggestions, and would be very glad to get them...
CanyonMan, I will take a closer look at the Hornady rounds, may be what I'm looking for.

ancient_serpent
07-14-2010, 06:26
Duplicate post

ancient_serpent
07-14-2010, 06:29
Here´s some data:

http://www.gunblast.com/PowRBall.htm

Boge, thanks for the link, I'm looking at it right now.

BadAndy
07-14-2010, 07:59
It's not that I want a lighter bullet. More than anything else, I want the rounded bullet profile that PB provides. If there is a standard 230 gr hollow point that has a very rounded bullet profile, I would switch over in a heartbeat.
I love the 1911 design, that said, the cartridge has to go through some violent maneuvering before making it into the chamber (as, say compared to a Glock).
CanyonMan, I will take a closer look at the Hornady rounds, may be what I'm looking for.

I had really good results with 200 and 230gr XTPs and Golden Sabers in my old 1911. Never a problem with either bullet and I shot a couple hundred of each.

hoser45
05-12-2011, 09:25

I agree with bullet shape. I was considering these two rounds as well because they seem to be designed to feed reliably. I had Winchester Ranger 230gr and my Colt Officer's chokes EVERY time with it.

I ran a box of Hornady 185 and not a hick up.

Love to find a 230 gr that is designed to feed as well as these!

triggerjerk
05-12-2011, 09:51
Really, go with Ranger T or HST. Never a problem in two 1911s I shoot.

Can you believe I've actually had a Powerball hangup on a feed ramp in a 1911 that
feeds HSTs/Ranger Ts without a hiccup???

edit: another reliable round is the Hornady TAP. I would go for it over the other two choices if HST/Ranger T isn't an option.

Berto
05-12-2011, 13:08
.45acp has decent size already. Go for something that will penetrate decently like an XTP.

HKLovingIT
05-14-2011, 14:52
I found the following to be good feeders for a picky gun:

Remington Golden Saber 230 Gr

Remington Express Green and Yellow Box 185 Gr

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/medium/443/443494.jpg

WWB 230 Gr JHP

Federal EFMJ

I prefer Speer Gold Dot 230 Gr but reliability trumps all else.

hoser45
05-14-2011, 16:36
I found the following to be good feeders for a picky gun:

Remington Golden Saber 230 Gr

Remington Express Green and Yellow Box 185 Gr

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/medium/443/443494.jpg

WWB 230 Gr JHP

Federal EFMJ

I prefer Speer Gold Dot 230 Gr but reliability trumps all else.

Better than Hornady CD versus Pow R' Ball?

mikegun
05-17-2011, 17:57
:wavey::wavey:Problem is: That old boy don't carry PB for his carry ammo. Plus easy to place astamp on what helps make a living for ya...

Gotta say i find it odd that in all the many reviews ive read on that site, ive not seen one bad or negativer reccomendation, of all the products, one would think some must work to well, but i only see positive...you are right canyon masn

Sorry i quoted myself, i made the second highlighted post, could not do that again if i tried.../
CM