Neighbor just ended the SD caliber war. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Neighbor just ended the SD caliber war.

Batesmotel
07-06-2010, 17:52
I was at the neighbors with some of the other guys on the street and one brought up the question about Self defense calibers. My neighbor went in the garage and brought out a sledge hammer, baseball bat and a steel bar. He asked witch one would be better to hit someone with keeping in mind that the blow will be placed precisely on the side of the head and struck with as much force as possible. The guy looked at him for a second and said, "so placement trumps caliber?".

cowboy1964
07-06-2010, 18:02
But if you miss which has the faster followup shots?

07-06-2010, 18:29
Proves nothing.

What kinda carry rig you goin' with for each of those? :supergrin:

Snapper2
07-06-2010, 18:57

The sledge hammer would definitely have too much recoil and penetration. The bat would fragment and not reach vitals:whistling: Now a solid copper bar, now that might be the ticket.:supergrin:

Clem Eastwood
07-06-2010, 19:26
I was at the neighbors with some of the other guys on the street and one brought up the question about Self defense calibers. My neighbor went in the garage and brought out a sledge hammer, baseball bat and a steel bar. He asked witch one would be better to hit someone with keeping in mind that the blow will be placed precisely on the side of the head and struck with as much force as possible. The guy looked at him for a second and said, "so placement trumps caliber?".

none of which relates. you are also not looking at differences in penetration as well as different abilities on hard barriers. the only thing that relates in this comparison is the fact that different jobs require different tools.

Coffee Dog
07-07-2010, 04:14
[QUOTE=Batesmotel;15593638]I was at the neighbors with some of the other guys on the street and one brought up the question about Self defense calibers. My neighbor went in the garage and brought out a sledge hammer, baseball bat and a steel bar. He asked witch one would be better to hit someone with keeping in mind that the blow will be placed precisely on the side of the head and struck with as much force as possible. The guy looked at him for a second and said, "so placement trumps caliber?".[/QU

If thats all we had to defend ourselves with I would answer but we have different options!:wavey:

IndyGunFreak
07-07-2010, 07:42
If thats all we had to defend ourselves with I would answer but we have different options!:wavey:

I think you missed the point of the post...

IGF

GunFighter45ACP
07-07-2010, 08:19
Interesting. Who has to swing the item? Me, my grandma, or A-Rod? That might make a difference as well.

fredj338
07-07-2010, 10:51
Ok, what if the guy is wearing a denim hat?:rofl:
Really, assuming we could all make a headshot, 100% of the time, the 22lr is all one would need for SD or hunting.:upeyes: Ok, for body shots, give me the sledgehammer everytime.

Glolt20-91
07-07-2010, 12:07
Why not a precise machete swing just under the head; then mount the 'trophy' on your favorite wall for all to see. :rofl:

Bob :cowboy:

albyihat
07-07-2010, 12:37
great post ill come back tomarrow when a 100 people have chimed in and by then they will be talking about 12ga vs pistol vs tank vs hp vs hardcast ect.... lol

voyager4520
07-07-2010, 12:45

The caliber war is never over.

I choose the steel bar.

gunsnhoses
07-07-2010, 15:54
All of them would knock the s**t out of you if they hit you upside the head.

Snapper2
07-07-2010, 16:18
Ok, for body shots, give me the sledgehammer everytime. ok, what gr. ...I mean lb. hammer?:whistling: Lets just say he isnt wearing a coat.:rofl:

Gtracy
07-07-2010, 16:41
cant i just run over them with my car?

FM12
07-08-2010, 15:19
45 ACP, duh!

Angry Fist
07-08-2010, 15:25
Gimme the crowbar... for real. :whistling:

357glocker
07-09-2010, 19:18
None of my neighbors know anything about guns/ammo and look at me in mystery when they see me bring a shotgun/rifle case to the car.

BlutoBlutarsky
07-10-2010, 12:32
None of my neighbors know anything about guns/ammo and look at me in mystery when they see me bring a shotgun/rifle case to the car.

I can relate, we had a yankee living across the street when we first moved in to our current house. Her daughter was over playing with my daughter one day, the mom came to get the girl and saw my safe in the den flanked by a flying turkey and a deer head.. She grabbed her daughter and said she was not allowed back in our house. I asked her why and she said that we had guns and that wasn't safe. I looked back and said, the guns are in the safe, isn't that safe? Would she rather the guns were under beds and behind doors? She replied that if they were they would be out of sight she wouldn't have known we had any guns. I thought, gee lady You moved to TN, have people duck hunting in your back yard and didn't think the guy with the 4x4 might have guns in his house :whistling: I would think having them in the safe would make her happy.
glad she didn't notice the one under my shirt.

roundgun
07-11-2010, 06:47
I'll go with the sledge hammer. The new models with space age polymer handles reduce felt recoil, and overall weight. Bonus, no splinters!

G23c
07-15-2010, 10:56
cant i just run over them with my car?

cooper mini, corvette or Hummer? :supergrin:

JimBianchi
07-15-2010, 11:25
I love a good bat.

Eagle22
07-15-2010, 13:10
I can relate, we had a yankee living across the street when we first moved in to our current house. Her daughter was over playing with my daughter one day, the mom came to get the girl and saw my safe in the den flanked by a flying turkey and a deer head.. She grabbed her daughter and said she was not allowed back in our house. I asked her why and she said that we had guns and that wasn't safe. I looked back and said, the guns are in the safe, isn't that safe? Would she rather the guns were under beds and behind doors? She replied that if they were they would be out of sight she wouldn't have known we had any guns. I thought, gee lady You moved to TN, have people duck hunting in your back yard and didn't think the guy with the 4x4 might have guns in his house :whistling: I would think having them in the safe would make her happy.
glad she didn't notice the one under my shirt.
:rofl: damn Yankees

07-15-2010, 14:40
:rofl: damn Yankees

I like that band.

1911austin
07-15-2010, 17:33
He keeps his defensive weapons in the garage?

Angry Fist
07-15-2010, 18:26
Kind of makes them offensive weapons (for BG's), don't it? :upeyes:

toshbar
07-15-2010, 19:01
Always use the right tool for the job.
A hammer is almost always the right tool.
Anything can be used as a hammer.