Looking for freeware screen dim utility [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for freeware screen dim utility

Kadetklapp
07-07-2010, 10:50
I get a lot of fatigue from staring at my computer monitor for any longer than 10 or fifteen minutes. Eyes dry out, headache, etc. At work, our squad cars are equipped with Packet Cluster/MobileCop which has a utility you can click on to go into "night mode" and subdue the screen with a red and black display. Anyone know of something similar to this for XP users?

RTmarc
07-07-2010, 11:47
I get a lot of fatigue from staring at my computer monitor for any longer than 10 or fifteen minutes. Eyes dry out, headache, etc. At work, our squad cars are equipped with Packet Cluster/MobileCop which has a utility you can click on to go into "night mode" and subdue the screen with a red and black display. Anyone know of something similar to this for XP users?

There is a theme you can use in display properties called "High Contrast" or something to that affect. You can flip that on and it will help some. I also use some SoothXP eye drops.

CitizenOfDreams
07-07-2010, 12:07
You can create your own theme with the colors you like. If you really want to get fancy, it's possible to write a batch file and run it as a scheduled task so the theme would change automatically at night.

Sgt. Schultz
07-07-2010, 12:40
Like the others have said try changing the theme, also you could adjust the brightness and contrast of your monitor/display.

kc8ykd
07-07-2010, 15:08
download this:
http://stereopsis.com/flux/#comments

it's free and what it does is change the color tone dynamically through the day/night, however, you can set it permanently.

mikegun
07-07-2010, 16:25
This app is one of the best things u can add to your puter, but beware it is difficult to take it out of the puter, although i dont see why anyone would wish to get rid of it.

kc8ykd
07-07-2010, 17:23
i just uninstalled it from my windows 7 machine and it removed all of it's files like i'd expect any other program to do.

i ran the uninstaller link it creates in the Flux program group

Kadetklapp
07-08-2010, 10:36
Anyone have some screenshots of these programs? Or is not possible to tell the difference with a screenshot?

Kadetklapp
07-08-2010, 10:39
Woo, this high contrast black thing is pretty cool. I'm going to give this a try.

kc8ykd
07-08-2010, 12:58
Anyone have some screenshots of these programs? Or is not possible to tell the difference with a screenshot?

not possible with the flux utility since it just changes the color temperature.

take 1 minute to install it, if you don't like it, it's only another minute to uninstall it. it's not like your signing a lease or getting married :)

Kadetklapp
07-08-2010, 16:07
Like the others have said try changing the theme, also you could adjust the brightness and contrast of your monitor/display.

I tried changing the theme on my wife's laptop, and high contrast worked great. Wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but was definitely better. However, I can't seem to find the themes hers had on my computer that I'm using now. My other computer only offers three themes whereas the other one offers over a dozen, some of those being the high contrast.