Anyone else having problems with Fiocchi Extrema 230 gr .45 ACP ammo? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else having problems with Fiocchi Extrema 230 gr .45 ACP ammo?

Dogguy
07-07-2010, 15:18
I bought a case of this a while back after being very impressed with Fiocchi USA's .38 Special ammo. Price was good and the XTP bullet has a good reputation for accuracy. After shooting it, I can testify that the stuff is accurate but, dammit, I don't trust it for anything other than practice.

Out of the first 50 rounds, one of the cartridges had a badly seated bullet with a section of the brass case ripped off at the mouth. Another round had a primer that took two strikes to ignite. I went to the range this morning with a second box and had another round with a primer that did not ignite the first strike. It did fire after chambering by hand on the second strike--as did the first failure to ignite. I'm not clear on whether or not this was a primer issue or cases that were poorly sized and did not seat in the chamber properly the first time, thereby causing the light primer strikes.

I've had no issues with the gun (G30) when using other ammo--Blazer Brass, Federal Champion, Federal Hydra-Shok, Winchester Ranger T, Remington Golden Saber, some very old PMC, WWB and UMC hardball, etc. I've also been doing this (shooting) for a few decades and I can't recall having a lot of ammo issues up until now.

Has anyone else used this ammo and had issues with consistency?

collim1
07-07-2010, 18:58
Not sure about that, but my dept came across a good deal on cases of Fiocchi .40 three years back.

It looked okay (never saw any obvious flaws) but WOULD NOT feed in our issued Sig 229's and 226's.

More so in the 229's. We had FTE double feeds and stovepipes with them. My 226 fed them, but alot of the 226's would not. The 229's had a much more noticeable number of failures compared to the 226's

This put a bad taste in my mouth for this ammo. But some of us bought the remaining ammo cause it fed fine in our personally owned glocks.

fastbolt
07-07-2010, 20:20
I stopped buying Fiocchi ammunition several years ago after some less than desirable experiences. I have no idea what the present ammunition or QC may be like. Nor do I plan to find out.

TheBooger
07-09-2010, 15:18
I shot 50 rounds of it through a smith and wesson 3rd gen .45 last week with zero problems. I also shot 100 rounds of the extrema in 9mm with no worries.