VHS to DVD [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : VHS to DVD

VC-Racing
07-07-2010, 16:40
I'm looking for some input on how to convert VHS tapes over to DVD. I could take them( 10 ) to a Photo lab and have it done , but due to the cost( $25 per cassette) and the possibility of something happening to them , I would like to do it myself. So, anyone have a recommendation.

Thanks,

Vic

joemal
07-07-2010, 16:46
This may be cheaper if you don't mess up

http://www.pcworld.com/article/125517/making_movies_from_vhs_to_dvd.html

VC-Racing
07-07-2010, 17:11
Thanks for the link. I read the article and was hoping to find something local ( office max, office depot, best buy). I found some software by Roxio, but there were no reviews.

joemal
07-07-2010, 17:15
I don't know of any 'big box stores' that do this. I wouldn't recommend buying anything by Roxio

Havasu
07-07-2010, 17:33
You can buy machines that do this for arpound $100.00
ION makes one and you can find them on line.

Sgt. Schultz
07-07-2010, 20:52
I use the EasyCAP USB adapter, with it I can hook a VCR directly to my computer and capture the video for editing. I don't remember where I bought mine but if you Google EasyCAP it lists dozens of places that sell them. Amazon has it for $6.45 ...

http://www.amazon.com/Easycap-USB-Video-Capture-Adapter/dp/B001BWU8US

.. it comes with a driver disc but you need to supply the video capture software.

Thunderbolt56
07-08-2010, 20:12
I used an earlier iteration of Pinnacle Dazzle to convert all my VHS and VHS-C to digital a few years ago. Was as easy as setting it all up and clicking a button.

http://computershopper.com/hdtv-home-theater/howto/convert-vhs-to-dvd

VC-Racing
07-10-2010, 20:25
I found some software produced by Pinnacle called DVD MAKER Deluxe ( cost $ 29.95 on sale at Office Max ) which included everything except patch cords. Worked like a charm. Only thing I didn't like was the amount of video I could put on a single 4.7 g dvd at the "best" setting. It would only allow 62 mins of video. So I ended up making a 2 dvd set for my Master and a single at the "better" setting ( 77mins just shy of the 79 i needed :upeyes:). I think if I had a dual layer DVD burner I could get the entire 79mins on a single dvd at the "best " setting . But that's not a software problem. SO if anyone is looking for a simple means to convert VHS to DVD Pinnacle DVD Maker Deluxe is :thumbsup::thumbsup:

W4CNG
07-10-2010, 21:10
I have two DVD Player/Recorders in series and a HQ VHS Recorder Player. I patch the VHS Player/recorder into the first DVD recorder and the output of it into my Video Monitor. Tell the DVD to set-up the DVD Disk to record, and put the VHS Player into Play and the DVD to Record. All is done. No you do not get to do favorite chapters, but you get all of the Tape on DVD. Finalize it at the end and it will play on anyone's DVD player or computer DVD. I also copy DVD's the same way, from one to another.

iRenegade
07-10-2010, 23:31
I recently transferred all my home videos and a few VHS tapes directly to DVD. I'm very happy with it. The Sony VRD-MC6 DVD recorder was a simple press one button process and exceeded my expectations. It can do more with Sony products, but worked well for my purposes to archive and share some of my old videos and photos.
I got a decent price on eBay.