IWB for 5" 1911 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : IWB for 5" 1911

flynlead
07-07-2010, 18:21
I need some advise from people who have tried both summer special style and the vm2 style IWB holsters using a full size 1911. what are the pros and cons of them? Does the vm2 move around less than the ss? or vise versa.

drc767
07-07-2010, 18:53
I have tried them both and am not a fan of either. I know the VMII has a huge following, but I find it to be too thick and the muzzle end, rounded bottom of the holster just creates an terrible pressure point for me. Both the SS and VM have pretty good retention, and if you personally find them comfortable, are very good holsters for IWB carry for your 1911.

Hokie1911
07-07-2010, 19:00
I have a VM2 on order that I should get in Sept....but I think I may get one of these for comparison to see which I like better. Been hearing a lot of good things about them.

Occidental Leather Phoenix
http://www.bestbelt.com/images/1000/1337.jpg

SuHu
07-07-2010, 20:28
I've owned two VMII's, and I'm glad I finally tried an SSII.

I prefer the SSII because it is smaller, cheaper, and more comfortable. For me, it also conceals just as well as the VMII. I thought I'd have a problem with the SSII shifting, but so far I haven't.. even when the holster is not centered on a belt loop. Some might say the VMII pulls the grip in a little bit tighter, but all that did was jab me in the ribs while sitting. The SSII is just right.

Rinspeed
07-07-2010, 20:50
I have two SS holsters and finally gave in and ordered a VM-II but it will be a couple months before I get it. For me the SS works very well and as I've said before I'm quite certain it's the most successful and copied IWB holster of all time. The bonus is Brownells keeps the SS in stock most of the time so you don't have to wait six months to get one.

Even getting an order into Milt Sparks isn't easy as they only take so many orders a month and lately if you're not on the phone the first four or five days you're done. If you check out e-bay you could pick up a VM-II for $300 or so. :upeyes:

Ruggles
07-07-2010, 21:38
I am a BIG fan of the SS. It simply works best for me IWB bar any other holster, and like most folks on here I have a drawer full of holster try to find the right one :)

JRB75
07-07-2010, 21:53
I personally use the Occidental Leather's Phoenix and find it to be very comfortable. Plus it usally ships the same day..

I have not tried a SS type of holster as I have always thought they just didn't distribute the weight of the pistol as well as a VM2 type of holster. But as always, what works very well for some, doesn't for others.

Hokie1911
07-07-2010, 22:00
I personally use the Occidental Leather's Phoenix and find it to be very comfortable. Plus it usally ships the same day..

I have not tried a SS type of holster as I have always thought they just didn't distribute the weight of the pistol as well as a VM2 type of holster. But as always, what works very well for some, doesn't for others.

Can you post a pic? I hear that a common complaint of the VM2 is that they ride high. Just curious how the Phoenix rides.

JRB75
07-07-2010, 22:03
Can you post a pic? I hear that a common complaint of the VM2 is that they ride high. Just curious how the Phoenix rides.

I don't have any pictures of it on but will be happy to take some to post up as soon as my camera battery charges.

BOGE
07-07-2010, 23:00
Tell you what, most people that have CCW'd a 5 in. STEEL 1911 and say it`s great are either sitting on their can in a car or soon switch to a LW Commander. :wavey:

Ruggles
07-07-2010, 23:10
Tell you what, most people that have CCW'd a 5 in. STEEL 1911 and say it`s great are either sitting on their can in a car or soon switch to a LW Commander. :wavey:

I can not say I agree with you. I find there not to be a weight issue really as a full size loaded 1911 weighs in at 45-46 oz or so, a LW is 10 ozs or so less. So in effect we are talking about well less than 1lb difference between the two. I do often carry a small )4" - 4 1/4") 1911 but that is based on length not weight.

I carry 75% OWB and 25% IWB normally.

Hokie1911
07-07-2010, 23:14
I can not say I agree with you. I find there not to be a weight issue really as a full size loaded 1911 weighs in at 45-46 oz or so, a LW is 10 ozs or so less. So in effect we are talking about well less than 1lb difference between the two. I do often carry a small 1911 but that is based on length not weight.

I carry 75% OWB and 25% IWB normally.

So you're saying it's not the size of the barrel that counts, but how it goes BANG that really matters? That's what she said. :rofl:

Rinspeed
07-08-2010, 04:24

Maybe it's time for you to hit the gym. :dunno: :tongueout:

drc767
07-08-2010, 13:32

Believe it or not, I find a 5" 1911 about the most comfortable IWB pistol I have ever carried. The weight does not bother me at all. I carry a 5" gun about 95% of the time.

CAcop
07-08-2010, 13:51
I use a DeSantis InnerPiece or Piece Keeper. I can't remember which. It works fine for me.

Officer's Match
07-08-2010, 14:58
Believe it or not, I find a 5" 1911 about the most comfortable IWB pistol I have ever carried. The weight does not bother me at all. I carry a 5" gun about 95% of the time.

Me too. Max Con V may have something to do with that.

Blaster
07-08-2010, 16:00
I recently purchased a Andrews Custom Leather MacDaniel II for a 5" 1911. I honestly believe I hit the nail on the head on the first swing. I like it much much better than the Sparks VM-IIs for my G23 or G30, of course the slimness of the 1911 comes into play.

http://www.andrewsleather.com/

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/Blaster3094/Holstered.jpg

flynlead
07-08-2010, 16:29
I recently purchased a Andrews Custom Leather MacDaniel II for a 5" 1911. I honestly believe I hit the nail on the head on the first swing. I like it much much better than the Sparks VM-IIs for my G23 or G30, of course the slimness of the 1911 comes into play.

http://www.andrewsleather.com/

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/Blaster3094/Holstered.jpg

Does it stay in place good? It looks like it would move around with one strap on one end.

Blaster
07-08-2010, 17:01
Does it stay in place good? It looks like it would move around with one strap on one end.

It holds its position very well. There is a steel support that runs between the strap and the holster body. The holster is also constructed "rough side" out, that along with the belt holds it securely in place.

GunFighter45ACP
07-08-2010, 20:11
I'm w/Blaster on this, too. I've used a SS2 & a VM2, but the style he mentions works best for me. I got mine from Mitch Rosen; it's the ARG holster. Even though you'll pay about the same a a Sparks, you'll have it in hand WAY sooner.

willis68
07-08-2010, 20:23
I have 3 VM2's and a Milt Sparks Shark skin belt, I will never use another holster to me they are the most comfortable holsters made and conceal my pistols exceptionally well :cool:

BOGE
07-08-2010, 23:34
Maybe it's time for you to hit the gym. :dunno: :tongueout:

Nope. Try schlepping one around in the woods or desert all day on foot. Damn heavy. Now if some of you are drinking Slurpees all day at the mall & watching the chicks pass by then you won`t notice it. :wavey::supergrin:

Ruggles
07-09-2010, 00:15
Nope. Try schlepping one around in the woods or desert all day on foot. Damn heavy. Now if some of you are drinking Slurpees all day at the mall & watching the chicks pass by then you won`t notice it. :wavey::supergrin:

All just my opinion......

It's an extra 8-10 oz of weight between a Govt and a LW Commander, that is not going to really make a difference in a quality holster/belt set up. :wavey:

I mean does anyone really say, "wow I am beat, that extra 8 ounces of weight I carried around almost did me in?" :rofl: My cell phone with its case weight just over 7 ounces and I have never felt it weighing me down. :)

I carry 5" 1911s sometimes but find it easier to conceal a 4" since I carry OWB most of the time, weight does not play into it for me.

drc767
07-09-2010, 05:19
All just my opinion......

It's an extra 8-10 oz of weight between a Govt and a LW Commander, that is not going to really make a difference in a quality holster/belt set up. :wavey:

I mean does anyone really say, "wow I am beat, that extra 8 ounces of weight I carried around almost did me in?" :rofl: My cell phone with its case weight just over 7 ounces and I have never felt it weighing me down. :)

I carry 5" 1911s sometimes but find it easier to conceal a 4" since I carry OWB most of the time, weight does not play into it for me.

Yeah, Ruggles......but have you ever tried carrying your cell phone through the jungle or desert all day? It is brutal....:)

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
07-09-2010, 05:21

I CC a Beretta 92FS. People don't believe me either when I say the same thing.

I use a Comptac pro undercover. I like polymer holsters, as they can be made thinner than a leather one with a belt attachment.

When I carry my Hk P2000, my side will start to hurt if I sit in a car for more than an hour. The shorter holster sticks me in my side muscle, but the longer holster works fine for me.

Rinspeed
07-09-2010, 05:40
Yeah, Ruggles......but have you ever tried carrying your cell phone through the jungle or desert all day? It is brutal....:)

:rofl: :rofl:

watarski
07-09-2010, 06:09
I had a SS, but sold it and got a VMII. Could not be happier. The 2 side snaps on the SS showed more (on me) when trying to carry concealed. Basically the side snaps make it wider in the middle of the holster. The VMII is the most comfortable I've tried...and I fought going from OWB to IWB for a long time.

Kinny
07-09-2010, 11:26
My VM2 doesn't really move around if any at all. It is very comfy as a matter of fact. I think the most important thing other than the holster is a good belt.

Ruggles
07-09-2010, 11:31
My VM2 doesn't really move around if any at all. It is very comfy as a matter of fact. I think the most important thing other than the holster is a good belt.

I would say that the belt is as important as the holster, at least for me they are.

JRB75
07-09-2010, 19:07

Here you go. I find that I really like the ride height of this holster.

http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab143/jrb1975/Holster.jpg

Hokie1911
07-09-2010, 19:26
Here you go. I find that I really like the ride height of this holster.

http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab143/jrb1975/Holster.jpg

Thanks man. That looks good.

remat
07-11-2010, 13:06
I recently got a Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe for 1911's and I like it a lot. It is the most comfortable IWB I have. I do not have a VMII but I have several custom with similar designs and there is no comparison in comfort. For one thing the leather offers little adjustability.

I usually switch to a smaller pistol in the summer but with the Crossbreed I have been comfortably carrying a fullsize 1911 this summer.

Darkangel1846
07-11-2010, 13:45
I find the VMII very confortable and easy to put on and take off. My two complaints are the cost and occasionally it creeks....I have two.

flynlead
07-11-2010, 14:03
I had a SS, but sold it and got a VMII. Could not be happier. The 2 side snaps on the SS showed more (on me) when trying to carry concealed. Basically the side snaps make it wider in the middle of the holster. The VMII is the most comfortable I've tried...and I fought going from OWB to IWB for a long time.

I never really thought about that but it makes sense the ss would be a little thicker in the middle compared to the vm2

SIGShooter
07-12-2010, 19:05
I have both and I like both.

I prefer the VMII over the SSII. The reason being, I find the cant of the SSII to be a little more than the VMII. However, they are both extremely comfortable holsters. They both retain and present the pistol exactly how I want it…Always on target with no adjustments needed. The pistols rides the same with both holsters.

I recommend either one. You can't go wrong with Milt Sparks holsters.

As for the weight issue of a 5" all steel 1911…With a good holster and belt, there shouldn't be any reason the weight would effect you. I carry my TRS 95% of the time, IWB, VMII with a Wilderness Instructors belt. Never a weight issue.

ferretray
07-12-2010, 20:54
The MS SS II is a great holster. I prefer the MS VM II as it spreads the weight/pressure over a wider area. I use quality 1-1/2" gunbelts with these fine holsters.
I find the Colt Lightweight Commander in .45 ACP to be the ultimate carry pistol, for ME. Excellent balance of weight, handling characteristics and power.

Todesengel
07-13-2010, 06:39
I need some advise from people who have tried both summer special style and the vm2 style IWB holsters using a full size 1911. what are the pros and cons of them? Does the vm2 move around less than the ss? or vise versa.

Summer Special types move around a lot more and the gun sits higher in them compared to the VM2 Style.