Which 1911 should go? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which 1911 should go?

brzusa.1911
07-08-2010, 07:44
Need your input on which 1911 should I sell. I recently bought two LBs, a Commanche CVIII and a Custom Carry 5" blue. The Commanche is aswesome, 450 rounds and never failed me. However, after I shot my Custom Carry 5" yesterday, I can say that I am in awe with the 5" 1911. That being said, I need (want) to get a matching LB Custom Carry, probably in SS, but for that I need to sell one of my Commanche/Commander pistols.

The decision is between the LB CVIII and the DW CBOB. The LB CVIII has 450 rounds through it and not a single failure, the CBOB has 1000 rounds and also never failed. I lean towards selling the DW CBOB, but I will need to shellout more money towards the 5". If I sell the LB CVIII, I shellout less money but will miss on a great LB pistol.

What do you guys say?

bac1023
07-08-2010, 07:47
Do you want to go all Les Baer?

I always like a little variety. :supergrin:

brzusa.1911
07-08-2010, 07:53
Do you want to go all Les Baer?

I always like a little variety. :supergrin:

Yes, I really like the two LBs Pistols I have. I never shoot a fullsize 5" until yesterday. I have shoot a variety of Commander sizes, onwed 5, and the LB Commanche is my favorite 4.25". I want to go all fullsize LBs now :supergrin:

bac1023
07-08-2010, 07:54
Yes, I really like the two LBs Pistols I have. I never shoot a fullsize 5" until yesterday. I have shoot a variety of Commander sizes, onwed 5, and the LB Commanche is my favorite 4.25". I want to go all fullsize LBs now :supergrin:

In that case, I'd sell both commanders. :cool:

brzusa.1911
07-08-2010, 07:59

That is the plan :whistling: but one at a time as they need to be replaced :supergrin:. I can only match the money for a 5" on one now. And if I sell them both, I am sure I will find ways to spend the leftover money - one out, one in, one out, one in...one in...one in...one out, one in...

bac1023
07-08-2010, 08:01
That is the plan :whistling: but one at a time as they need to be replaced :supergrin:. I can only match the money for a 5" on one now. And if I sell them both, I am sure I will find ways to spend the leftover money - one out, one in, one out, one in...one in...one in...one out, one in...

Gotcha :)

Ringo S.
07-08-2010, 16:01
Sell both of them and buy Army service one, made during WWI.

Quack
07-08-2010, 16:20
get rid of all the Baer's :rofl:

Hokie1911
07-08-2010, 16:40
Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel-plated sissy pistol.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/b/b1/IMFDB-TommyLeeJones-USM.jpg/500px-IMFDB-TommyLeeJones-USM.jpg

watarski
07-08-2010, 16:52
I've read your stuff on the other forum as well. I just had a similar question - now I get to respond :supergrin:

We've all heard about the Baer commanders being iffy with slingshotting. I'd say that if your Baer works, sell the CBOB.

HAIL CAESAR
07-08-2010, 17:36
I've read your stuff on the other forum as well. I just had a similar question - now I get to respond :supergrin:

We've all heard about the Baer commanders being iffy with slingshotting. I'd say that if your Baer works, sell the CBOB.

Just to clear this up a bit......Slingshotting or not slingshotting has nothing to do with the "big to do". It is the decreased length of slide travel that Commanche and Stingers have. Some 4.25 Baer's show this clearly with not slingshotting, but the ones that do slingshot still have the issue. Slingshotting or not is a symptom, not the disease.

I would shoot 2 to 3 thousand rounds through each pistol and make the cut on which has to go based on performance.

watarski
07-08-2010, 18:26
Just to clear this up a bit......Slingshotting or not slingshotting has nothing to do with the "big to do". It is the decreased length of slide travel that Commanche and Stingers have. Some 4.25 Baer's show this clearly with not slingshotting, but the ones that do slingshot still have the issue. Slingshotting or not is a symptom, not the disease.

I would shoot 2 to 3 thousand rounds through each pistol and make the cut on which has to go based on performance.

I am aware of the issue (have read way tto much on the topic), and I agree. My point was whether or not slingshotting was an important capability to the OP.

HAIL CAESAR
07-08-2010, 18:31
I am aware of the issue (have read way tto much on the topic), and I agree. My point was whether or not slingshotting was an important capability to the OP.

Ok, didn't know you are familiar with the issue. :wavey:
As most are not as they think that slingshotting is the only issue and if theirs does they are good to go.

Whether or not the capacity to SS is important is the level and type of training that a individual has under his/her belt.

It is important to me, but a some plinkers would not care a bit.

brzusa.1911
07-08-2010, 20:00

Very true! I did read all the info on the Commanches from the other two 1911 forums before purchasing, and also started a thread asking opinions on personal experiences. The answers I found were overwhelmingly favorable. Some of the complaints were about slingshotting, which is not a problem for me at all. I am left handed and use my index finger all the time practicing. As far as reliability the Les Baer CVIII and the CBOB have not failed a beat. Fit and finish goes to the LB hands down. My favorite is no doubt the LB, the "problem" I am facing is that I can probably get $1600 on the LB and add about $200 for another LB Custom Carry government, or $1100 for the CBOB and $700 out of pocket. I will eventually unload both for fullsizes, question is which one first.

willis68
07-08-2010, 20:16
Dump the Dan Wesson, the Baer is in a different league

Rinspeed
07-08-2010, 20:48
Dump the Dan Wesson, the Baer is in a different league

Well.....

The levels of 1911 snobbery never cease to amaze me. :whistling:

http://www.deathvalleymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Kicked-in-the-Nads.jpg

watarski
07-08-2010, 21:04
Again, only you can make that call, but here was my thought process - I could sell the SRP and get more money, or keep it since I favor it more. Will I have to sell the SRP at some point? I hope not, but if so, at least I got to keep the one I liked more for longer.

At the same time, I fully understand needing more capital for another purchase, but it sounds like you enjoy the Baer more. Good luck with the decision - at least you're replacing a gun with a gun :cool:

Hokie1911
07-08-2010, 21:04
Well.....

:laughabove: Well played sir.

HAIL CAESAR
07-08-2010, 21:11
:laughabove: Well played sir.

Rins pretty snappy with the comebacks. I like it.:rofl:

Hokie1911
07-08-2010, 21:14

I particularly like how he snipered my name and replaced it with his. :thumbsup:

Rinspeed
07-08-2010, 21:17

I think that's the first compliment I've heard you give out. :supergrin:

Rinspeed
07-08-2010, 21:20
I particularly like how he snipered my name and replaced it with his. :thumbsup:

I just hope Willis read the other thread or he will think I am the *********. :rofl: :tongueout:

HAIL CAESAR
07-08-2010, 21:21
I think that's the first compliment I've heard you give out. :supergrin:

I call them as I see them. :wavey:

Hokie1911
07-08-2010, 21:26
I just hope Willis read the other thread or he will think I am the *********. :rofl: :tongueout:

As opposed to the rest of us that already know you are? :tongueout::rofl:

HAIL CAESAR
07-08-2010, 21:29
As opposed to the rest of us that already know you are? :tongueout::rofl:

Oh...that's rough!!

Now I have to buy both of you a beer!:wavey:

Hokie1911
07-08-2010, 21:31
Oh...that's rough!!

Now I have to buy both of you a beer!:wavey:

Haha. Rinspeed is a good dude. :cheers:

HAIL CAESAR
07-08-2010, 21:39
Haha. Rinspeed is a good dude. :cheers:

Yes he is.

bladeandbarrel
07-08-2010, 22:12
I would sell any Baer that is not a 5" (or 6") gun.

HAIL CAESAR
07-08-2010, 22:17
I sold mine and won't buy or trade for anything but a Guberment. Unless the sub 5 inch guns have been modified.

And this is from a guy that carries a Baer everyday, trains with one constantly, and recommend them as the "best bang for the buck", and tout their quality.

5 inch Baer's are great.
Sub 5 inch Baer's.....are not on my radar till issues are resolved.

samuse
07-09-2010, 17:22

I agree. What advantage does a Commander offer? Whose idea was a commander anyway?:dunno:

willis68
07-09-2010, 17:53

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

brzusa.1911
07-09-2010, 20:21
Thanks guys...with one exception, I really appreciate everyone's posts! I think I will actually hold on to the LB and sell the CBOB...or maybe keep both...

HAIL CAESAR
07-09-2010, 20:59
Thanks guys...with one exception, I really appreciate everyone's posts!

:number1:

Hokie1911
07-09-2010, 21:02
:number1:

:animlol: