Importance of periodically shooting your carry ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Importance of periodically shooting your carry ammo

jack76590
07-08-2010, 22:03
I put a lot more emphasis on the importance of my gun working, than I do on having the lastest "killer ammo." And it is pretty hard for me to bring myself to shoot "boutique ammo" at $1+ round on a regular basis.

So in your opinion is it better to buy a decently regarded round that may sell for $18-$20 a fifty round box or the "latest and greatest" that sells for over $20 in a 20 round "boutique box?"

Now I realize getting the prices I mentioned does require looking around and buying in 500 to 2,000 round lots.

So while I enjoy listening to you and others discuss various type of ammo, my reaction is not, I have to get that particular ammo. Rather my reaction is this is one ammo I might get if I can find a deal.

I like to fire 300-500 rounds of my carry ammo a year. And once a "carry round" has been chambered and unloaded, if at all possible the round immediately goes into the practice box. Which can become expensive with "boutique rounds."

Because of this line of thinking I am carrying a G27 in 40 cal, rather than a G26 in 9mm. As you have mentioned, more margin for error in selection of 40 caliber round, than with 9mm round. Plus there are just more deals out there in 40, given its popularity as police round.

Mas Ayoob
07-09-2010, 20:11
I feel that reliability is the first, non-negotiable priority in defensive ammo selection. A good, street-proven JHP that has worked 100% with hundreds of rounds through the gun would give me more peace of mind than a "latest and greatest" load that was not so well proven in that particular pistol.

Best,
Mas