Better [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Better

EL COLONEL
07-09-2010, 07:54
Which is better remington corlockts or the winchester power max ammo ?

noway
07-09-2010, 09:39
Which one is better?

I think it all depends on you and your rifle. Both are similar in design ( core fused or boned with the jacket )

Your question, could yield very different answer based on that hunter, skill, weapon, budget, availability or just what he or she like. It would be like asking which is better coke or pepsi .

if you want to get down to the nitty gritty, buy about 2 boxes each of the same cal weight and try them out on paper and then in the field. And then you will know which one is better for you.

EL COLONEL
07-09-2010, 12:47
No way , thank you and Diet coke is better................:rofl::rofl:

CanyonMan
07-10-2010, 09:29
Remember amigo, your deer hunting, not hunting cape buff's ! haha.

Just funnin ya a little. Like noway said, either one. Your gun may like one over another. In my 7mm rem mag (do all gun), I reload my own, but my barrel likes the 154gr Hornady spire point a little better than some others. The Remington Core -Lokt Ultra Bonded has alway been a real favorite of mine as far as "factory ammo." Again, 6 of one and half dozen of another. Whatever works for ya. ;) This is deer (i assume) so you don't need to get real head up over to many bullet designs. Just the Remington PSP or Winchester PSP, will do.

Good shooting/hunting bud.

CanyonMan

Big Bird
07-13-2010, 21:15
You don't need to buy premium ammo for deer. They aren't hard to kill. You will hear all manner of internet wannabe Daniel Boone's who will regale you with tales of bullet failure on deer they KILLED and failed to get complete pass throughs an or found fragments of jackets or core separations IN THEIR DEAD DEER! (get the point here?)

I've been reloading for as long as I have been hunting so I really don't buy much factory ammo. But my favorite, hands down, deer bullet is the old Nosler Solid Base which they discontinued a decade or so ago. I managed to buy a thousand or so as a hedge. The Nosler solid base is basically a simple core and jacket bullet. Nothing fancy. Like Winchester power points or Remington Corelokts they have been killing deer for decades and decades before everyone started to lap up all the marketing hype from the ammo manufacturers about needing "THE BEST" hunting ammo you can buy...so you can have CONFIDENCE...in your stuff. As if WHAT you shoot matters 10% as much as HOW you shoot...

Plain ole Remington Green and yellow box corelokts still kill more deer every year than any other brand of deer ammo combined. When i was stationed in europe in the 80's its all I could find for my .270 Winchester through the Rod and Gun club and I managed 30 big-game animals in 3 years including Red Stag, Russian Boar, Mouflon, Chamois, Roe deer, etc and I promise not one of those animals had anything they could complain about in terms of how quickly they were dispatched.

Focus on how you shoot. Buy LOTS of ammo and pratice alot!

noway
07-17-2010, 11:17
for "El Coronel",

I just bough 1 box each of 150/180gr winchester powermax. Cost was surprisly 1 dollar more than the grey box winchester softpoint superX that I typically buy.

Tomorrow, I'll be on my local range trying these at the 100yards and probably in 3 weeks I'll be at the 200yard range. The bullet seems built nicely with a small hollowpoint opening and are Flatbase. At $22.99, we will see how they fly.

EL COLONEL
07-18-2010, 21:58
no way , I went hog hunting today. Didn't see any but i did shoot 2 javalinas with a 300wsm with the power max bonded 150 gr . 1 through the heart , fell down and kicked about 5 times and that was it , the other i hit high , i think i broke his spine , that one was drt. of course javalina are not tough like hogs. Looking foward to your report .......................................:wavey:

noway
07-19-2010, 10:50
no way , I went hog hunting today. Didn't see any but i did shoot 2 javalinas with a 300wsm with the power max bonded 150 gr . 1 through the heart , fell down and kicked about 5 times and that was it , the other i hit high , i think i broke his spine , that one was drt. of course javalina are not tough like hogs. Looking foward to your report .......................................:wavey:

Will I threw 10 each of 30-06 down range off a gun case. Accuracy seems to be present recoil in both weights was nice and comfortable. I had a few holes touching.

1st up 180grain

http://gi126.photobucket.com/groups/p111/PKL0JNC7NK/180gr.png

150gr shot obviously better than 180gr but I was also in a hurry with trying todo multiple other things also. Next month, I'll place them down range at 200 or maybe 300 yards, depending on what day I go.

now 150grain

http://gi126.photobucket.com/groups/p111/PKL0JNC7NK/150gr.png

I did not re-adjust my zero and sights since I was shooting something else also. In all case they group Lft and high of center and I have a 200yard zero set, so I'm not overly concern with being approx 2.5 above center.

noway
07-19-2010, 11:02
I also want to point out something that might be of interest of should be taken as a precaution.

After firing these few rounds, I notice holes within the styrfoam bullet placement opening,(this is where the bullet press thru the foam with the shape tip of the nose). In doing so small bits of foam was encapsulated within the nose of the PHP bullet.

This could effect accuracy and expansion.

Here's a box of what I typically use and available at walamr ( SuperX grey box 30-06 )

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/kenfelix/mauser/box1.jpg

A photo of the hollow point nose.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/kenfelix/mauser/point1.jpg

and the closeup of the powermax with a superX JSP for comparison

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/kenfelix/mauser/point2.jpg

EL COLONEL
07-21-2010, 03:07
No way , let us know how the power max works on game when you shoot something.................................................:supergrin:

noway
07-21-2010, 09:34
No way , let us know how the power max works on game when you shoot something.................................................:supergrin:

To be quite honest, I highly doubt I will ever take it to the field or use it on anything outside of paper. I see no need over the standard JSP that's been used for 2 decades in my family with positive results.

357glocker
07-22-2010, 09:54
I also want to point out something that might be of interest of should be taken as a precaution.

After firing these few rounds, I notice holes within the styrfoam bullet placement opening,(this is where the bullet press thru the foam with the shape tip of the nose). In doing so small bits of foam was encapsulated within the nose of the PHP bullet.

This could effect accuracy and expansion.

I've had the same thing in some .223 52gr BTHP from Georgia Arms. It never had any effect on the accuracy that I could notice. It was a match bullet so and never "tested" it to see if expansion was an issue.