380 slide lock problem [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 380 slide lock problem

jhat380
07-09-2010, 13:28
Hi guys and gals, I'm new to the forum. Have a problem with the slide locking open with rounds still left in the magazine. During the 200 round break in, with ball ammo, it locked open 4-5 times during the first 80 rounds and was fine thereafter. I then ran 90 rounds of Speer Gold Dot Personal Protection without a problem. Last weekend I ran 80 rounds of Cor-Bon JHP 90gr and the slide locked open 9 times with rounds left in the mag. Switched to ball and everything was fine. Normally I would say that Kahr 380's dont like Cor-Bon but I've read reviews where that ammo has worked fine. Could it be the slide stop. Any of you had similar problems with Cor-Bon? Thanks in advance for your responses.

mitchg233
07-09-2010, 20:42
It would seem you are not riding the slide lock lever, and that it is the difference in ammo. Two choices, run what you are 99% sure will work, the Speer, or send it back and have them work on it. Personally I think I would do another trial with the Speer, and if successful, just stick with it.

calviroman
07-10-2010, 16:38
this is a known problem on lower serial # P380s. Contact Ian @ Kahr for the trimmed down slide release or take a dremmel to the part that engages the mag

BuckeyeBlast
07-11-2010, 21:04
Ian no longer works for Kahr. The problem is these guns are tight, and in this case the slide stop lever is being hit by the rounds coming up the magazine and engaging the slide stop. The bigger problem is that Kahr doesn't fix this problem and continues to let their reputation suffer as a result of some sort of weird arrogance.
To see the problem - take the slide off the gun and put the slide stop back into the receiver. Insert a loaded mag and look at how close the rounds come to hitting the lever that engages the slide stop. If they're touching, then that's at least part of the problem. I ground off a slight bit of the metal there and kept going w/ a metal file until I had enough clearance, but was careful not to go too far and now allow it to engage the follower properly. Alternate a loaded mag and an empty mag when checking the status of your filing.
Then, bend that pewny slide stop spring down as much as you reasonably can without damaging it. Reassemble and lay 200 rounds through it and see how it does.
The fix - start CAREFULLY w/ a dremel or bench grinder and remove a small amou

mitchg233
07-12-2010, 10:54
so, they could have made the gun a millimeter larger and ended up with something reliable. You can imagine the design process, the wonks with the cad program trying to cut thousandths from the design, and shaving it a little too fine......

Caver 60
07-12-2010, 20:10
It's probably not related, but my PM9 Would do the same thing from new right out of the box

I found the slide stop spring was weak, very weak. With the pistol field stripped I could push the slide stop up and the spring would not push it all the way back down again. Once that problem was taken care of, its been 100% since.

You might want to check the slide stop spring tension.

jhat380
07-13-2010, 10:04
Can't get Kahr to respond to my e-mails re: the problem.

Goldstar225
07-13-2010, 15:11
I'm having the same problem with my CW40. With the cartridge seated all the way to the back of the mag I have .006 inch clearance between the slide stop and the ogive of the bullet. Under recoil and with the friction of the top rounds being stripped from the mag the cartridge moves forward and comes in contact with the slide release. I e-mailed Kahr service last Thursday for guidance on a solution, but no response yet. I really like the gun but for this one flaw. I willing to put in some effort to make it work because of it's other fine qualities.

PhoenixCCW
07-28-2010, 09:52
Can't get Kahr to respond to my e-mails re: the problem.

I'm having MAJOR problems with my formerly reliable PM9 that I bought 5 years ago. Now that Ian is gone it seems like customer service is gone and nobody else really cares. I think I may be done with Kahr.

Cowart
07-28-2010, 14:41
never mind

Wessinger03R6
12-27-2010, 11:51
I just spoke to a guy named Ian that had a "British type accent". Seemed like a super nice guy, anyways.....

My dad and I have pm9s and absolutely love them. They are very reliable. However, we both bought Kahr P380's two weeks ago and we stocked up on some ammo. Well, we immediately had issues with them consistently prematurely locking the slide, like 2-3 times per magazine. I figured just keep shooting and try to break it in. Well, almost 600 rounds later, they still act the same. Dad sent his to Kahr and they supposedly "fixed it", but now the slide won't lock back when empty, so he'll be sending his back again. I called Kahr and I told them that it seemed like the rounds were possibly hitting the small protrusion on the slide lock. They told me to try to file some away and see if that worked. They said if I messed it up, they'd send me another one.

So I broke out the dremel tool and went to town. Well, since I went a little too far the slide release won't engage now when I empty a magazine, however the pistol is now incredibly reliable and hasn't jammed in the last 100 rounds. So obviously the slide stop protrusion was the problem. I called them today and when I get the new slide stop, I'll give it a shot and see if that works. If not, hopefully they'll take it back and work on it. I trust they will get it right, but I'm a little amazed that a company that is so close to having the perfect pistols could have these kind of quality control issues. I can only hope that this thing will be worthy of me depending my life on it, like my pm9.

Wessinger03R6
01-26-2011, 18:46
Well, I finally sent my .380 back to Kahr last week. I got it back in less than a week turnaround time.

They polished the feed ramp, replaced the mag followers and replaced the slide stop spring. Took her out earlier and it fed 4 magazines without a hiccup. No premature slide locking and the lock actually engages after the last round is fired now! IUsed American Eagle, Blazer, Fiocchi, and Sellier & Bellot.

Kahr has truly impressed me so far. The gun wasn't just right when I got it, but now it feels just as reliable as my pm9. If you have an issue with your Kahr, give them a chance to make it right and I believe they have the ability.

However, dad's p380 may have to go back for a 3rd time, but we are gonna run a few more rounds through it first. His is kinda 50/50.