Are TP-9s on the way out [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Are TP-9s on the way out

Gloc_K_ahr
07-09-2010, 16:14
I recently picked up a TP-9 and had a hard time finding anyone who carried or could order one from their supplier. I've noticed the new ones have a slightly longer lower than the older ones did so they may be updated, but otherwise it seems they are not being carried much any more.

As a report though, first 100 through the tube and its doing fine. Better trigger than my glock when it was stock and getting used to the recoil. Depending on how I like it I may trim the grip for a MP-9 magazine. Anyways, mainly I was curious if this model is going the way of the covert.

mitchg233
07-09-2010, 20:36
Trim the grip and you might as well be carrying a revolver, which, given the relative reliability, you might want to anyway.

Gloc_K_ahr
07-09-2010, 23:44
Never been a big fan of wheel guns. I understand the reliability and all the other good things about them. Just prefer an auto. Besides, I like the trimmed TP-9 as the 4" barrel helps hold it and a short grip is easier to hide IMO. We'll see how it does with a few hundred more rounds. I carried the Glock for years and I've had 10 or so stovepipes and some full auto moments over about 1500 rounds. I had to put in a heavier trigger spring to eliminate the full auto.

What I do like better about the glock is the mags and the feel of the trigger now (after 1500 rounds, lots of dry fires, polish, new connectors, new springs, many hours). Someday the Kahr will be there too. Otherwise I'll sell it and find something else.

at_liberty
07-10-2010, 04:27
I recently picked up a TP-9 and had a hard time finding anyone who carried or could order one from their supplier. I've noticed the new ones have a slightly longer lower than the older ones did so they may be updated, but otherwise it seems they are not being carried much any more.

As a report though, first 100 through the tube and its doing fine. Better trigger than my glock when it was stock and getting used to the recoil. Depending on how I like it I may trim the grip for a MP-9 magazine. Anyways, mainly I was curious if this model is going the way of the covert.

The TP9 is 8+1 rounds, while the PM9 is 6+1. I doubt you would do well cutting the gun down two rounds. Get a different gun. The Covert was only one round shorter but was a 3.6 barrel, not the 4" of the T and TP series.

As one who carried a T9 and T40, still owning the T40 because it shoots so well, I would guess that Kahr has little incentive to make more of them. The concealment problems of that grip length are contrary to Kahr's entire product image.

I checked sometime back and found that Kahr has a consistency in the ratio of grip length to barrel length. That's where the Covert and its concept were dropped. When you drop back from TP to P, you lose a round in grip length. When you drop back from P ro PM, you lose another round. You don't change grip length without an accompanying change in barrel length.

I wouldn't mess with it. If you don't like the balance of a gun, buy another gun. If really concerned about concealment, stick with the P9 and it 3.6 barrel. CW9 is close and another alternative, but it seems like a beater grade gun to me, priced accordingly...a poor man's Kahr.

Finally, I think Kahr is busy making mouse guns, all sorts of girly-man stuff and backups. Their forte is the small .40, but that's not what the demand is. The issues are size and recoil. Given those, the issues become where to get .380 ammo at a price that doesn't seem obscene. It's a mess. I wish they had never pursued a .380.

Gloc_K_ahr
07-10-2010, 10:06
I like the balance of the gun, I am more interested in a longer barreled concealable gun. I can get grip extensions and use the shorter mags with a shorter grip, the question your point brings up is if there is some underlying reason kahr maintains the grip to barrel length ratio.

Linux3
07-10-2010, 18:25
I have a TP9 that I am very happy with.
I also had a wait to get one and the story as relayed from the wholesaler to my gun shop is that Kahr only makes guns like the T9 and TP9 once a year. You know, tool up and run a batch.
Anyway, the story I got was that they were selling well and the latest run sold out faster than anticipated.
Mine has a longer lower than the one in this picture. No idea why the difference.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/244/products_id/13192

Gloc_K_ahr
07-11-2010, 00:56
Yeah, mine has 8 round flush fit mags and doesn't have the exposed front portion of the slide either. It looks like a bigger P-9

ripley16
07-11-2010, 05:38
My TP9 has turned into my favorite Kahr. I have the newer one with the 8 round grip, not the old style with the shorter grip. The shorter grip model looks to be ideal for concealing, and I admit, that's what I thought I was getting when I bought, based on the Bud's picture.

I've considered cutting the grip down but for now I'm keeping it whole. I did buy a TP45 with the intent of cutting the grip down to make a "covert" TP45, but so far I really don't like the gun much and am considering selling it. The TP9 is a keeper though.

Linux3
07-11-2010, 07:53
I have the 8 round grip and I think that's one of the good features of the TP model. I would never mod it.
From the Kahrshop.com site I bought a Gould and Goodrich Small of Back Holster and it's perfect. A polo shirt will cover it just fine and it has surprisingly good retention.

Cowart
07-11-2010, 10:27
CW9 is close and another alternative, but it seems like a beater grade gun to me, priced accordingly

Not including the cosmetic differences noted at http://www.kahr.com/dtlcompP_cw9093.html,
what makes the CW9 a "beater grade"?

at_liberty
07-11-2010, 11:08
Not including the cosmetic differences noted at http://www.kahr.com/dtlcompP_cw9093.html,

Do you really want to know, or are you telling me I expressed disrespect for your choice of guns and ability to finance one?

Patchman
07-11-2010, 16:58
Not including the cosmetic differences noted,

Not sure what a "beater grade" is but Kahr has always been clear about the market niche of their CW line vs the regular K/P/T lines.

As for the T-series, I never understood the intended market niche. Kahr never seriously marketed it as a CCW so I assume it was intended for shooting games or home defense. But Glock has those markets covered.

It may be intended as an alternative for those who want a 1911 styled gun but in 9mm and DAO? Guess that's why Kahr ended up only making them one run a year.

Gloc_K_ahr
07-11-2010, 20:31
As for the T-series, I never understood the intended market niche. Kahr never seriously marketed it as a CCW so I assume it was intended for shooting games or home defense. But Glock has those markets covered.

Actually when I think of home defense I think "870". :)

8th SPS USAF
07-12-2010, 10:53
All the talk about TP 9 got me thinking-I know new to me- so I went

out and got a TP 45 today. No TP 9's around. Taking it to the range

Tues. 8th

Linux3
07-12-2010, 12:02
All the talk about TP 9 got me thinking-I know new to me- so I went
out and got a TP 45 today. No TP 9's around. Taking it to the range
Tues. 8th

Cool, I look forward to a report.
I have a Hogue Handall jr. on my TP9. I would think it would be even more comfortable on the .45. That checkering hurts.

the perfesser
07-12-2010, 14:08
Do you really want to know, or are you telling me I expressed disrespect for your choice of guns and ability to finance one?

I can't speak for Cowart, but I would really like to know -- as a PM9 owner -- how the CW series represents "beater grade" (which I understand in a clinical, not derogatory sense).

Back in the day, I contemplated getting a CW9 instead of the PM9. I handled the former, but have never fired one. There are the cosmetic differences, as Cowart notes. There is the hefty price differential. Are there other matters of form, feel, and/or function at play?

Cowart
07-12-2010, 15:43
are you telling me I expressed disrespect for your choice of guns and ability to finance one?

No, that's not it - I have both a CW9 and a PM9, as well as a CW45. The frame and internals of the CW9 and the PM9 appear to my eyes to be identical, except for the size difference. The slides appear internally identical too, except for the extra external contouring and nicer markings on the PM9 slide. The MIM slide stop on the CW9 seems to work as well as the machined one on the PM9. The trigger pulls feel identical.

So I'm just looking to find out what the actual difference is that you are seeing with the CW series. It's mostly just an academic interest, as I am trying to sell the CW9, because I have not used it since I got the much handier PM9. (see
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1226147

8th SPS USAF
07-12-2010, 20:49
Linux3,

Does the grip have a finger rest in the middle of the grip?

You are right on the sharp grip. I have green tape I use. Looks

goofy, but works great and only cost $1 per 20 yd roll. What

did the Jr grip cost? Thanks

8th

Gloc_K_ahr
07-12-2010, 22:09
I've always liked A-grip. I've also considered swelling the right side of the grip a little to better fit my hand. I filled and filed my Glock and love the grip (other than difficulty concealing) and if all goes well at the range I may mod this a little as well.

Linux3
07-13-2010, 09:53
Linux3,

Does the grip have a finger rest in the middle of the grip?
You are right on the sharp grip. I have green tape I use. Looks
goofy, but works great and only cost $1 per 20 yd roll. What
did the Jr grip cost? Thanks
8th

It does have the finger rest and I paid around $6.00 at MidwayUSA.com
http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#handall____-_1-2-4_8-16-32

at_liberty
07-13-2010, 10:42
No, that's not it - I have both a CW9 and a PM9, as well as a CW45. The frame and internals of the CW9 and the PM9 appear to my eyes to be identical, except for the size difference. The slides appear internally identical too, except for the extra external contouring and nicer markings on the PM9 slide. The MIM slide stop on the CW9 seems to work as well as the machined one on the PM9. The trigger pulls feel identical.

So I'm just looking to find out what the actual difference is that you are seeing with the CW series. It's mostly just an academic interest, as I am trying to sell the CW9, because I have not used it since I got the much handier PM9. (see
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1226147

A "beater" to me is one you don't mind too much getting holster wear, sweat stains on wooden grips, idiot scratches, long time between cleanings, high round count in practice, etc. It isn't necessarily a cheap or substandard gun.

What I noticed at a glance, when first seeing a buddy's CW9 was the lack of beveling on the slide. It looked unfinished to my spoiled eye, used to T9, T40, PM40, and P40.

I don't need to cite all the differences in specs and how they might affect the price, but one that stands out is the fact that the gun does not come with a cut to allow custom sights. It isn't meant to be a platform for all sorts of customizing. It is just meant to be carried.

Cowart
07-13-2010, 12:53
A "beater" ... isn't necessarily a cheap or substandard gun.

Understood - that is the exact opposite of my usual understanding of the term.

one that stands out is the fact that the gun does not come with a cut to allow custom sights.

Actually, Kahr offers both fiber optic sights and trijicon night sights for the CW models, using the existing slide configuration. See

http://www.kahrshop.com/cgi-bin/itemdetail.asp?itmid=2005
http://www.kahrshop.com/cgi-bin/itemdetail.asp?itmid=2053

8th SPS USAF
07-13-2010, 18:29
Started my breakin on my new TP 45 today. Using Blazer Al 230 ball

Shoots very well, not much kick, grip checkering sharp, put on my grip

tape. Shot mostly about 7/10 yds. Many plates fell on first try. IDPA

center and head shot out without much trouble. Will finish my second

hundred plus Thur. Linux3 thanks can you remove the finger rest

without going through the grip?

8th

the perfesser
07-13-2010, 19:07
at_liberty:
Thanks for the detailed reply in your most recent post. I understand now what you mean by "beater grade."

Patchman
07-13-2010, 20:13
I cannot remember all the differences between the CW line and the T/P/K lines, but it involved some money saving steps, to make the CW line an "entry level" line for future Kahr customers. Different material or manufacturing steps/process on certain parts, etc... I know I read about the differences in old gunrags when the CW line was first introduced.

I've never heard anyone say the CW line was not as good....

Linux3
07-13-2010, 20:17
Linux3 thanks can you remove the finger rest without going through the grip?

8th
Sorry, I don't understand what you are asking.

8th SPS USAF
07-14-2010, 09:44
Linux3,

Sorry, I think ,if the finger rest was in the wrong place on the

grip, could I remove it without leaving a hole in the grip? Or

maybe reduce it. Hope that is better.

Thanks

8th

ripley16
07-14-2010, 12:14
Not all of the available grip sleeves have a finger bump. Try another brand other than Hogue if you prefer not to have the bump.

Cowart
07-14-2010, 12:20
I cannot remember all the differences between the CW line and the T/P/K lines

You can see the differences at
http://www.kahr.com/dtlcompP_cw9093.html

Cost wise, the absence of the second magazine from the CWs accounts for $30-$45 of the difference in the price, depending on where you buy your magazines.

One seldom mentioned *advantage* of the CWs is the conventional rifling, which allows the use of cheap cast bullets in your practice ammo. I don't see much difference in accuracy between the PM9 and the CW9.

The extra contouring of the slides on the other models can cause holsters intended for those models to be somewhat tight when used with a CW. I have not seen many holsters specifically designated for the CW models. Leather holsters can be stretched enough to fit - not as easy with kydex.

Linux3
07-14-2010, 14:04
Linux3,
Sorry, I think ,if the finger rest was in the wrong place on the
grip, could I remove it without leaving a hole in the grip? Or
maybe reduce it. Hope that is better.
Thanks
8th
Aha... OK, no you can't remove it as it's part of the molded grip. Well, you could but you would have a hole, as you say.

But, I did play around with the grip for a while, moving it up and down, until I got the rest in the best place for me.