Old 17L... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Old 17L...

collegeconservative
07-09-2010, 16:15
My Dad has one of the first 400 g17L's brought to America.

Serial is 42X, Any ideas if this is a collectors piece at all, or should he just shoot the P*** out of it?

legion3
07-10-2010, 05:03
To most people it would not be a collector's item. A Glock is a Glock and a old Glock is an old glock.

To the people that post here it might be. A old Glock is a classic glock to many of us. That being said all my classic glocks are shooters and SD guns if needed.

What is the two letter code? The number on a Glock without the two letter code is meaningless.

The first two batches were DA and DB. Some had ported barrels and most didn't.

A Factory ported barrel would make the gun more unique. The ported barrels also reportedly could crack.

Unless its mint with original box and all the stuff (and even then it probably wouldn't fetch a big payday) I would say load...shoot...repeat!

collegeconservative
07-11-2010, 09:09
The code is DB and yes it does have the ported barrel. But no, it doesnt have the barbie accessories and its not mint, so I guess its gonna be a shooter

BamaTrooper
07-11-2010, 19:40
Sounds like you have a gun for am comp this weekend. :supergrin:

legion3
07-12-2010, 09:42
The code is DB and yes it does have the ported barrel. But no, it doesnt have the barbie accessories and its not mint, so I guess its gonna be a shooter

I have one of those too. Mine is a DB with the factory ported barrel and mine is not mint. I did go ahead and buy a factory non ported 17L barrel so that the ported barrel is not overused.

When I was at Glock's armorer's course in May at Smyrna, they said the ported barrel "might" or "could" or "maybe" perhaps crack at some point. They did not however offer to swap out the barrel.

gunlove
10-05-2010, 13:28
The trigger on mine is BY FAR the best glock trigger I have ever felt. Smooth break and zero overtravel.
Were they all like this? How about the newer ones?

ohio pat
01-13-2011, 20:43
I do not think that the Glock 17L's are in the catalogue anymore. It looks like the two with the DB were made in April of 1988.

Mine has a serial #BMDXXXUS and was made in July of 1995 long after the DB series. Mine also has the ported barrel.

It is a neat pistol and I have not seen another in the Cincinnati Ohio area.
I have no idea how many were imported into the U.S. but would lover to know.

I never thought of the barrel cracking. Guess I should look for an after market fully supported barrel for it.

Luckily we have a gun show in Cincinnati this weekend, I will try to find one there.

Thanks for the posting.

Pat Olvey
http://swohioccw218.com

email swohioccw218@yahoo.com