590A1 vs 590 w/heat shield [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 590A1 vs 590 w/heat shield

glock30user
07-09-2010, 17:14
So I am going to be getting a new tac/hd shotgun and have narrowed it down to a Mossberg 590A1 with a heavy barrel or a Mossberg 590 with a heat shield. All other aspects of the sg are the same as far as I can see. So which one do you prefer and why. The price difference doesn’t matter to me.

590A1 with heavy barrel
http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/51660.jpg

590 with heat shield
http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/50660.jpg

slewfoot
07-09-2010, 17:23
I went with the 590A1, twice. Since they are both home defense guns, they don't get shot to the point where a heat shield is really necessary.

The heavier barrel of the 590A1 seems to balance better than the thin barrel with the heat shield attached. YMMV.

glock30user
07-09-2010, 17:51
I went with the 590A1, twice. Since they are both home defense guns, they don't get shot to the point where a heat shield is really necessary.

The heavier barrel of the 590A1 seems to balance better than the thin barrel with the heat shield attached. YMMV.

How much does the 590A1 weigh? Do you know about the 590 wt?

Jon_R
07-09-2010, 17:59
My favorite shotgun I currently own is my Mossberg 590 20" 9 shot with the heat shield. It feels great in my hands and the action is very smooth with about 3K rounds through it. It balances well for me but I am pretty good size. Having said that I am waiting on a Mossberg 590A1 18" 6 shot with the ghost ring sites. I plan to replace the barrel with a 14" barrel as a SBS for something different. I should have the 590A1 with the 18" barrel next week and can comment further but I doubt it will take over my favorite spot.

I also have a 500 Mariner. I am not sure what is different with that other then the coating but it sure feels heavier.

Jon_R
07-09-2010, 18:02
How much does the 590A1 weigh? Do you know about the 590 wt?

Mossberg site shows the weight it depends slightly on the model but beed sight 9 shot 590 and 590A1 both show 7 1/4 lb.

glock30user
07-09-2010, 18:13
Mossberg site shows the weight it depends slightly on the model but beed sight 9 shot 590 and 590A1 both show 7 1/4 lb.

Thanks…I don’t know how I missed that.

mixflip
07-09-2010, 18:29
I shot a mil spec 590A1 when I was in the military and I owned a civilian 590 special purpose w/ bayonet lug.

My opinion is that I actually liked the 590SP better. Why? Well the thin barrel actually felt lighter to me. (maybe it was in my head though?) I also liked the blued finnish vs the parkerized. It just looked nicer. The fact that it had a plastic trigger guard and plastic safety selector didnt bother me and probably perpetuated the assumption that it made it lighter? lol.

The bottom line is, I am not going to throw it in the back of a Hummer and use it to do CQB fighting in Afghanistan. Both go bang reliably and both take a bayonet for zombie CQB. I only paid $300 for the SP but I guess if I had the choice to get a mil spec A1 I would probably like to have it just for kicks & giggles if I had a few extra bucks?

So I am going to be getting a new tac/hd shotgun and have narrowed it down to a Mossberg 590A1 with a heavy barrel or a Mossberg 590 with a heat shield. All other aspects of the sg are the same as far as I can see. So which one do you prefer and why. The price difference doesn’t matter to me.

590A1 with heavy barrel
http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/51660.jpg

590 with heat shield
http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/50660.jpg

Rusty Shackleford
07-10-2010, 10:10
My 18" 590A1 w/5+1 capacity is already muzzle-heavy. I can see the 20" w/extended mag being even more so. I think the lighter barrel on the 590 would make balance feel better, but I guess that would be a matter of preference.

PlasticGuy
07-10-2010, 11:58
The Navy requested the heavier barrel to make it more resistant to dents when doing cqb work. My shotgun is for cqb work, so I chose to follow their lead.

Besides, what's the purpose of a heat shield on a shotgun? Is the heat mirage going to interfere with your aim at 15 feet? Not likely. You gonna grab the barrel for some reason? Me neither. I understand why a thicker walled barrel would be nice, but I don't see the point of the heat shield.

WoodenPlank
07-10-2010, 13:41
The Navy requested the heavier barrel to make it more resistant to dents when doing cqb work. My shotgun is for cqb work, so I chose to follow their lead.

Besides, what's the purpose of a heat shield on a shotgun? Is the heat mirage going to interfere with your aim at 15 feet? Not likely. You gonna grab the barrel for some reason? Me neither. I understand why a thicker walled barrel would be nice, but I don't see the point of the heat shield.

Protects the barrel, keeps you from being burned by a hot barrel during weapon retention or other handling (ie: placing back in a scabbard when switching to carbine, etc).
I have a 590 with standard bead sight and the heat shield. I ordered it with the SpeedFeed stock, and have been very happy. However, the SpeedFeed stock seemed to make the shotgun too long overall to easily use in close quarters, so it has been replaced with a Knoxx Breachers Grip pistol grip. I kept the full stock in case I want to switch back, but I love how my 590 handles with the Knoxx grip on it.

Faulkner
07-10-2010, 16:20
I have the standard 590 with factory heat shield and factory ghost rings. I shoot it a lot at the range and I like the heat shield.

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL488/1124764/4557860/33796914.jpg

Baba Louie
07-13-2010, 18:23
Heat shields were placed on shotguns that might be used w/ bayonet for up close poking on or in enemy personnel. Rarely used in HD but one never wants to cut ones SD options... sides that, you want to scratch your barrel taking it off and putting it back on, right?

Usually, Less is More (unless you're tricking out your civilian AR-15/M4). A light, a sling (maybe) a few extra shells on it. GTG

Bayonet? :whistling:

Maybe. Why not? They seem to upset certain politicians (or maybe it's just the bayonet lug... ya think?)

WoodenPlank
07-14-2010, 21:42
The bayonet lug can also allow you to quickly add a picatinny rail for a flashlight. Im currently trying to find one such adapter, but the ones I have seen so far seemed unsatisfactory.

Onmilo
07-15-2010, 07:19
Protects the barrel, keeps you from being burned by a hot barrel during weapon retention or other handling (ie: placing back in a scabbard when switching to carbine, etc).
I have a 590 with standard bead sight and the heat shield. I ordered it with the SpeedFeed stock, and have been very happy. However, the SpeedFeed stock seemed to make the shotgun too long overall to easily use in close quarters, so it has been replaced with a Knoxx Breachers Grip pistol grip. I kept the full stock in case I want to switch back, but I love how my 590 handles with the Knoxx grip on it.

The heat shield in addition to protecting your hand from burns during a bayonet fight after a bout of sustained fire also actually works quite well for preventing impact dents to the barrel during rough use.
Consider it a bit of added security.

DaGroaner
07-15-2010, 09:24
I think the real benefit of the heat shield is the same as that of a ventilated rib. It keeps your sight plane free of heat waves coming off of the barrel that could obstruct your vision when aiming.

Captain Caveman
07-15-2010, 11:18
About 15yrs ago I had a 590SP. It was a great shotgun and should have kept it. But I plan on getting an A1 next time. I like the heavy barrel over heatshield.

glock30user
07-31-2010, 16:44
So I ordered the 590A1 last night. I’ll keep everyone posted on the results when I get it.

Jon_R
07-31-2010, 16:55
So I ordered the 590A1 last night. I’ll keep everyone posted on the results when I get it.

I hope it works well. Mine should be in any day now. I already have a 590 20" with heat shield so I am covering my bases. I ordered the A1 through Bud's and had to send the first one back.

TKM
07-31-2010, 16:59
Government experts have determined that the heat shield prevents skin cancer.

On that one shoulder anyway.:whistling::whistling:

mixflip
07-31-2010, 21:19
I could never get my 590 to heat up enough to actually burn my hands. I tried. But the heatshield did provide durable protection under heavy rough handling. Not needed in my opinion. Does look cool though.

DHart
08-01-2010, 02:41
I have a variety of 18" defense shotguns and a 20" blued 590. The 20" is my least favorite. Just too long and cumbersome for me for HD use, except if hunkered down behind the bed... then it's fine. But for moving around the house, the shorter shotgun is definitely my choice. 18" Winchester Defender with 8-shot capacity just ROCKS.

On my 20" 590, I removed the heat shield. I'm not going to war, I have the gun for HD. I don't want or need a heavy heatshield, nor do I need a heavy barrel. For HD I want a nimble, great-handling, fairly short shotgun with a high capacity and a light. That's it. Lean, simple, short, high cap.

My Mossberg 500 Persuader w/Bantam wood stock set is my favorite Mossberg. My go-to bump-in-the-night shotgun is the 18" Winchester 1300 Defender with 8-shot capacity, Hogue 12" LOP OM stock, and Surefire E2 light on a CDMGear MOD-C clamp. These two guns are in the bottom picture.

Some visuals of guns that I have.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Shotguns%20and%20RIfles/FourShotguns.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Shotguns%20and%20RIfles/ShotgunTrio.jpg

Jon_R
08-01-2010, 06:32
I could never get my 590 to heat up enough to actually burn my hands. I tried. But the heatshield did provide durable protection under heavy rough handling. Not needed in my opinion. Does look cool though.

When I get new shooters at 3-Gun I always offer them a glove for their weak hand. Most look at me very strange about it. I find most new shooters roll the shotgun over and feed it with their strong hand with the barrel near the chamber resting in their weak hand. New shooters have never shot a 25 round 3-gun stage which can be around 60 seconds of shooting. When they roll it over they are very surprised how hot that barrel gets when you fire that fast.

How much the heat shield helps I don't know because I feed weak hand while keeping the shotgun on target. I will check at the end of the run next time.

Aceman
08-01-2010, 06:40
I have the standard 590 with factory heat shield and factory ghost rings. I shoot it a lot at the range and I like the heat shield.

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL488/1124764/4557860/33796914.jpg

A heatshield may look tacticool, and be for up-close bayonet work.

But it RULES at the range for extended shooting/practice. That would be my deciding factor.

WoodenPlank
08-01-2010, 06:58
How much the heat shield helps I don't know because I feed weak hand while keeping the shotgun on target. I will check at the end of the run next time.

I have seen a lot of people reload strong hand, but it does not work well for me. I am right handed, so I roll the shotgun over to the right, and use my left hand to pull rounds off the side-saddle and into the magazine. The butt of the stock usually ends up on my hip for support, muzzle up about 30 degrees.

sns3guppy
08-01-2010, 07:22
I have a 590 and 590A1. I owned a 590A1 previously, and wanted another. My 590 came with a heat shield, but on the first shot or two, the spot welds on the heat shield broke and it came back and hit me in the face.

The heat shield gets in the way of cleaning, and adds weight. It doesn't contribute anything but looks, if anybody cares about the way it looks. The shotgun is very much a utility tool, and not a work of art. The heatshield also accumulates crud.

I ground the bayonet lug off my 590 to accomodate a Surefire forend, in order to provide clearance for the light. I had no need of the lug, but the light is useful.

The 590A1 comes with a metal trigger housing, rather than the plastic of the 590 and 500 series. It's a heavier shotgun. It comes with rifle sights, which are nice for slug work.

You'll be well served with either the 590 or 590A1.

WoodenPlank
08-01-2010, 07:35
The heat shield gets in the way of cleaning, and adds weight. It doesn't contribute anything but looks, if anybody cares about the way it looks. The shotgun is very much a utility tool, and not a work of art. The heatshield also accumulates crud.

It does? The heat shield on my 590 has NEVER gotten in the way while cleaning (it stays attached to the barrel the entire time, and has never interfered), and it certainly has not accumulated any crud. No lint, dirt, dust, etc, and my 590 has been in the dirt somewhat frequently.

Jon_R
08-01-2010, 07:35
I have seen a lot of people reload strong hand, but it does not work well for me. I am right handed, so I roll the shotgun over to the right, and use my left hand to pull rounds off the side-saddle and into the magazine. The butt of the stock usually ends up on my hip for support, muzzle up about 30 degrees.

Whatever works for you it is just a lot of movement of the gun which of course adds time. Then if you are pulling from a side saddle you are grabbing shells one at a time.

My method requires the ability to keep the shotgun in the shooting position with only your strong hand. My weak hand goes to the belt and I grab 4-5 shells at a time from a Choate Shell holder and feed them in the gun. Takes practice and big hands but it keeps me high in the standings on shotgun stages with my pump against semis and if the open guys fumble one speed load I can usually get them to. I also can't do it with my 870 since it has a 26" barrel to much weight up front or my shoulder is not strong enough. My 20" Mossberg works great though.

The second method on this video (about 1:26) is what I do but I keep the shotgun on my shoulder. I might try lowering it under my armpit like in the video some and see if that is faster and it might let me use my method with the Remington.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU5dsnBsxXs&feature=related

WoodenPlank
08-01-2010, 07:42
Whatever works for you it is just a lot of movement of the gun which of course adds time. Then if you are pulling from a side saddle you are grabbing shells one at a time.

My method requires the ability to keep the shotgun in the shooting position with only your strong hand. My weak hand goes to the belt and I grab 4-5 shells at a time from a Choate Shell holder and feed them in the gun. Takes practice and big hands but it keeps me high in the standings on shotgun stages with my pump against semis and if the open guys fumble one speed load I can usually get them to. I also can't do it with my 870 since it has a 26" barrel to much weight up front or my shoulder is not strong enough. My 20" Mossberg works great though.

The second method on this video (about 1:26) is what I do but I keep the shotgun on my shoulder. I might try lowering it under my armpit like in the video some and see if that is faster and it might let me use my method with the Remington.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU5dsnBsxXs&feature=related
I don't shoot 3-gun, so I havent practiced doing reloads with the shotgun still shouldered very much. The few times I did, I could do it, I just prefer lowering the butt. When Im loading off my side saddle, though, I am pulling two shells at a time with no problems.
When my dad was shooting 3-gun several years ago, I lost count of the number of times I saw him wipe the floor with a Mossberg 500 against guys using semi-autos. They always seemed to either foul up a reload or have some form of malfunction - even the top-end shooters that were in the same club. That was a big part of why I got a Mossberg myself (plus since I shot it quite a bit I was already comfortable with the layout).

Jon_R
08-01-2010, 07:53
I don't shoot 3-gun, so I havent practiced doing reloads with the shotgun still shouldered very much. The few times I did, I could do it, I just prefer lowering the butt. When Im loading off my side saddle, though, I am pulling two shells at a time with no problems.
When my dad was shooting 3-gun several years ago, I lost count of the number of times I saw him wipe the floor with a Mossberg 500 against guys using semi-autos. They always seemed to either foul up a reload or have some form of malfunction - even the top-end shooters that were in the same club. That was a big part of why I got a Mossberg myself (plus since I shot it quite a bit I was already comfortable with the layout).

The other point I like about the Mossbergs are when the bolt is forward the feed ramp is up and you are not working against it to load. At least on the pumps my 930 SPX the feed ramp is in the way when you are loading. The thing I don't like about it for 3-gun is I can't put a choke tube in it so sometimes I can't take the distant plate even with #4 birdshot which is as low as we are allowed to go. I plan to hit Appi up to see if I can get a 20" barrel for my 870 that will take chokes.

WoodenPlank
08-01-2010, 08:21
The other point I like about the Mossbergs are when the bolt is forward the feed ramp is up and you are not working against it to load. At least on the pumps my 930 SPX the feed ramp is in the way when you are loading. The thing I don't like about it for 3-gun is I can't put a choke tube in it so sometimes I can't take the distant plate even with #4 birdshot which is as low as we are allowed to go. I plan to hit Appi up to see if I can get a 20" barrel for my 870 that will take chokes.

Seems to me that 00 would be a better choice for plates at a distance. :dunno: It has always worked well for me at 25y with my 590.
Also, a good point about the elevator, and it is part of why I dont like the 870.

Jon_R
08-01-2010, 10:10
Seems to me that 00 would be a better choice for plates at a distance. :dunno: It has always worked well for me at 25y with my 590.
Also, a good point about the elevator, and it is part of why I dont like the 870.

Range rules don't allow anything larger then #4 bird shot on steel. Before I took over the match it was nothing larger then #7.5.

DonGlock26
08-01-2010, 20:04
I have a 20" 590 w/ heat shield, but I put a 18.5" barrel with ghost sights on it. It's lighter and handy in close quarters.

MudMarine
08-05-2010, 08:56
The heavier barrel of the 590A1 only really comes into play when you are using the bayonet. :D

sns3guppy
08-10-2010, 08:47
It does?

Yes, it does.

Cleaning beneath the heat shield leaves two options: remove the heatshield, or pour solvent over the barrel area that's shrouded by the shield.

glock30user
08-13-2010, 15:11
Here is my new 590A1

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/gdgeske/DSC_0005.jpg

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/gdgeske/DSC_0003.jpg

Texas357
08-13-2010, 19:10
I prefer the location of the safety on the Maverick, actually.