Israeli Method of Drawing a Weapon [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Israeli Method of Drawing a Weapon

CDR_Glock
07-10-2010, 08:59
I have seen articles of proponents of the Israeli Method of drawing a pistol. However, critics note that there is a delay in racking the slide and if there is a situation where you do not have immediate mobility of the otter hand, you have a big disadvantage.

What is your opinion of this method. In what instances do you see this can work? Lastly, I saw the magnetic safety for a 1911 but not for a Glock. Do you know of anyone who fits their product on one?

I personally feel that it could lead to a delay. However an advantage is if the gun was not retained in a struggle, it would not be ready for immediate use, either.

Mas Ayoob
07-13-2010, 07:13
The Israeli Method (pistol loaded with full magazine but empty chamber, known in the US as Condition Three per Col. Cooper's definitions) makes sense with a gun that is not "drop-safe" and can accidentally discharge if dropped. There were many such pistols in Israel's collective armory in the early days.

I personally don't carry guns that aren't drop safe, and always have a round in the chamber. The exact circumstances of our need for the defensive handgun will not be predictable, and we may have only one hand available or otherwise be in a position that makes chambering a round awkward. Therefore, I do not use or recommend carrying with chamber empty.

I looked at the magnetic safety for the 1911 when it was first offered and did not find it reliable. I've not seen one for a Glock. The one such system that does work is the MagnaTrigger, available on K-frame and larger Smith & Wesson revolvers from Tarnhelm, www.tarnhelm.com.

Best,
Mas