Israeli Method of Drawing a Weapon [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Israeli Method of Drawing a Weapon

CDR_Glock
07-10-2010, 09:07
I have seen articles of proponents of the Israeli Method of drawing a pistol. However, critics note that there is a delay in racking the slide and if there is a situation where you do not have immediate mobility of the otter hand, you have a big disadvantage.

What is your opinion of this method. In what instances do you see this can work? Lastly, I saw the magnetic safety for a 1911 but not for a Glock. Do you know of anyone who fits their product on one?

I personally feel that it could lead to a delay. However an advantage is if the gun was not retained in a struggle, it would not be ready for immediate use, either.

Mas Ayoob
07-10-2010, 16:47
The so-called Israeli Method of carrying an auto pistol with empty chamber and full magazine -- better known stateside by Jeff Cooper's terminology, Condition Three -- makes safety sense for people carrying pistols that are not "drop-safe" and can discharge by firing pin intertia if sharply impacted on butt or muzzle. In the formative years of the state of Israel, many such pistols were in the collective armory there.

With modern drop-safe designs such as the Glock, I see no good reason to carry with an empty chamber. As many have noted here on Glock Talk, it can fatally slow a defensive response, particularly if only one hand is available.

The prototypes of the magnetic "smart gun" modification for the 1911 did not work well when I tried them dry fire, and I've never seen them on the Glock. The only conversion of this type I ever saw that worked reliably was the Magna-Trigger conversion of the K-frame or larger S&W revolver, which is activated by a magnetic ring worn on the middle finger of the shooter's hand, and acts passively when that hand takes a firing grasp. It is still available from Tarnhelm (www.tarnhelm.com) and in my opinion is very useful for certain needs.

best,
Mas