Well these sights dont work [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Well these sights dont work

JTknives
07-10-2010, 14:21
I have a set of tru-glo TFO sights on my glock 20 and i love how bright thy are in both the day time and at night but i cant hit **** at 50 yards. it seams like im shooting very high and to the right. i had them installed by the shop that ordered them and thy just did it in frount of me and just eye balled them. i am wondering if this is my problem. at 25 yards its hard for me to be on paper with how thy are. what can be done with these sights. i also am using a LW threaded barrel but realy doubt its causing that much of a problem. i am going to be hunting with this 10mm this year and would like to solve this problem. also was wondering if a set of adjustable sights would be a good idea. maybe the True-dot or a Dawson adjustable sight. but would just fiber optic be better then Tritium. i do carry this gun some times as i switch between the G20 and my G35. Im just looking for a sight that will give me a better sight picture at 50 or so yards. i also noticed that the tru-glo TFO front sight does not really lock into the slide and can move a bit when installing it which i can see making a big difference. wish i could just dove tail the front sight. thanks guys for any help you can provide

Bullman
07-10-2010, 23:06
I have had no problems with the TFOs I have on my G22, but sometimes when you put on new sights you have to adjust them, you can't just eyeball it and hope to get them spot on the first try. Did the shop that put them on use a sight pusher? that is the best way to adjust them once you know how far you are off.

JTknives
07-11-2010, 10:27
ya thy used a sight pusher to install them. but just eye balled them to center. i looked them over after he installed them and could tell that the rear was off by a bit and had him push it a bit more. i measured the back and i guess i was off by about .007. maybe i am not doing a correct sight picture with these

nickE10mm
07-11-2010, 12:57
to the OP...

I've said it before and I'll say it again... most likely if you aren't hitting paper at 50 yards with open sights, it's probably you rather than the gun sights. Not being rude at all... just my experience.

That being said, yes, a Dawson FO front sight will be your best best for linger shots with your 10mm. I shoot my Razorback at 50 yards and have good results. I'm using a Fusion FO front sight (but it still covers the target at 50 yards lol).

Also, try getting into the target at 15 yards first, then 25, then 35 and gradually get out to 50. That way you will be able to see bullet POI move easier.

Kegs
07-11-2010, 16:09
to the OP...

I've said it before and I'll say it again... most likely if you aren't hitting paper at 50 yards with open sights, it's probably you rather than the gun sights. Not being rude at all... just my experience.

That being said, yes, a Dawson FO front sight will be your best best for linger shots with your 10mm. I shoot my Razorback at 50 yards and have good results. I'm using a Fusion FO front sight (but it still covers the target at 50 yards lol).

Also, try getting into the target at 15 yards first, then 25, then 35 and gradually get out to 50. That way you will be able to see bullet POI move easier.

Dawson = finest for "stock" aftermarket precision sights on Glocks. 5"-6" 10- shot groups (slowfire) is what I typically consider good for these duty-length barrels @ 50 yards.

Kegs
07-11-2010, 16:39
maybe the True-dot or a Dawson adjustable sight. but would just fiber optic be better then Tritium. i do carry this gun some times as i switch between the G20 and my G35. Im just looking for a sight that will give me a better sight picture at 50 or so yards. i also noticed that the tru-glo TFO front sight does not really lock into the slide and can move a bit when installing it which i can see making a big difference. wish i could just dove tail the front sight. thanks guys for any help you can provide

In my opinion;

1. Tritium sights are only good for finding the gun at night - you need to have a flashlight (of some sort) to see the bad guy then. There is a rail on the end of most Glocks for a reason - The best accuracy and precision is obtained by the use of two hands on a weapon.

2. I purchased a Novak's rear adjustable sight on my 10mil barrel and a Tru-glo (the highest they make) on the front sight...Both contain tritium inserts. They line up the barrel just fine at any distance

I purchased a Dawson adjustable plain rear and fiber optic front for my AA .22 conversion kit. This was a "kit". They are lower profile than the Novak's and the adjustability is superior - no set screws to mess with like on the Novak's.

By far I prefer the Dawsons, however - the Dawson's could be improved further by rounding all the sharp edges.

I have my idea of what the finest sights would be for any of these guns, but those would require a completely custom design - I would start with Dawson's and machine in the tritium or fiber optic inserts differently.

Since my habits favor precision & accuracy and not close in self defense, I would be of the opinion that there is too much light between the rear and front sight pictures to focus on the tight precision shots. Some people can line these fat sights up and have good shots, but they aren't going to be a human ransom rest with that sort of view!

MSgt Dotson
07-17-2010, 19:49
What are you using as the 'aim point'...the dots, or, the top of the front sight?

The sights should be first adjusted center of paper for 12-15 yards...then, we can worry about high/low point of impact once the pistol is not shooting left or right vs. point of aim...

Just out of curiosity, did they install TFO sights designed for the GLock 21? You might need a taller front sight for the higher recoiling 10mm...