Important secondary function of glock drop safety [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Important secondary function of glock drop safety

jack76590
07-10-2010, 18:32
When I first got a Glock I thought that lever in the center of the trigger was a form of "snag safety." Well I found out later it is a drop safety. But it still performs the function of "snag safety."

And I have gotten some undershirt caught inside my IWB holster more than once and felt the glock not go in normally, stopped and checked matters. Not saying the glock would have gone bang without the drop safety acting as "snag safety", but you never know.

I have considered buying a Smith M and P to try out, given all the good comments I have heard. But the M and P drop safety in my observation acts solely as a drop safety and does not appear, to make it harder, to catch a bit of clothing on the trigger, in such a way the gun goes bang.

So in your opinion is my concern justified or just over thinking what might/could happen?

Mas Ayoob
07-13-2010, 09:51
I think it's a small advantage to the Glock. Bear in mind, though, that lever is only a small fraction of an inch inboard on the trigger. With ANY handgun, we have to be scrupulously careful that too-small safety straps, drawstrings on windbreakers, etc. don't get caught in the trigger guard when we holster a loaded pistol.

best,
Mas

jack76590
07-13-2010, 12:24
Thanks Mas,

I really can't judge how small or big an advantage the glock drop/snag safety is in this regard. I think most significant advantage would be in case of undershirt snag. I also check my undershirts for tears and holes, which I think can increase risk of snags.

I agree with your specific points on safety straps and draw cords. Both of these could potentially make strong contact with trigger and here I don't believe glock drop/snag safety would be of much advantage. For this reason, I don't use holsters with straps and I remove draw cords from all my windbreakers.