Any practical arm blades? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any practical arm blades?

emt1581
07-10-2010, 22:38
I've got lots of guns, plenty of ammo, and I've been collecting blades since I was in middle school (gotta love to power of a money order and no need for ID!). But ever since I was a little kid I was always fascinated by edged weapons worn (not held) shown in the movies.

Some examples... the Predator has bladed weapons he wears on his forearms that shoot out when activated. Vega from street fighter and Wolverine had similar ones but long blades/claws that extended well past the fingers to be used in the same fashion as predators.

Now these weapons seem silly for everyday carry, but in some hand to hand combat situations (maybe where a gun is taken away or jams) such things might prove useful.

Do any such weapons exist in reality? Any that are practical enough for self-defense...or are they all far fetched novelties more than anything else?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

mitchshrader
07-10-2010, 22:50
I don't think you get to wear the ninja dragon claws AND be the good guy. It's a rule.

emt1581
07-10-2010, 22:52
I don't think you get to wear the ninja dragon claws AND be the good guy. It's a rule.

Ha! Believe it or not I have a pair of those! Does that make me a bad guy? :cool:

Honestly, they aren't very practical and I'd go so far as to say they'd probably snap a few hand bones in half if you ever tried to climb with them.

EDIT: But seriously, can you imagine how difficult it'd be to defeat someone who's WEARING their weapon? You CAN'T disarm them. They can swing their weapon to stab, slash, and keep you at a distance. With someone's who's had any training, that'd make for a pretty capable opponent IMO!

-Emt1581

emt1581
07-10-2010, 22:57
Just thought of one... The HAK (I think it's called). The blade that is specifically sized to your fingers that you wear instead of hold. Tiny blade but effective from what I've read. I know some cops/ccw'ers swear by them.

-Emt1581

UtahIrishman
07-10-2010, 23:26
You could try duct taping it to your wrist...

don't use too much though you'll need to save some for the trauma plates

emt1581
07-10-2010, 23:29
You could try duct taping it to your wrist...

don't use too much though you'll need to save some for the trauma plates

The $64 question is where does one carry their tacticool nachos?

Seriously, if you look at history, this isn't a far fetched idea. And although the HAK is only an inch or two long, it's the same principle.

-Emt1581

UtahIrishman
07-10-2010, 23:37
emt

on a more serious note I think the best solution for something like what you want would be a small dagger strapped to the wrist. In my teen moments I've tried it...kinda cool.

Not saying it's practical and it's definitely approaching ninja land but I think that would be better than some cumbersome auto deploy mechanism that's liable to screw up.

And I always carry my tacticool nachos on the weak side. since I always do tactical rolls to my strong side that way they won't get crunched. :supergrin:

jarubla
07-10-2010, 23:37
The practicality is certainly debatable:

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/edward-edward-scissorhands-466390_400_300.jpg

emt1581
07-10-2010, 23:43
emt

on a more serious note I think the best solution for something like what you want would be a small dagger strapped to the wrist. In my teen moments I've tried it...kinda cool.

Not saying it's practical and it's definitely approaching ninja land but I think that would be better than some cumbersome auto deploy mechanism that's liable to screw up.

And I always carry my tacticool nachos on the weak side. since I always do tactical rolls to my strong side that way they won't get crunched. :supergrin:

I see what you're saying and I agree it'd be risky at best. But imagine the potential of the MicroTech OTF forearm knife! :supergrin:

-Emt1581

emt1581
07-10-2010, 23:43
The practicality is certainly debatable:

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/edward-edward-scissorhands-466390_400_300.jpg

I always wondered how that would work at the urinal... :dunno:

-Emt1581

GermanyBound
07-10-2010, 23:54
I always wondered how that would work at the urinal... :dunno:

-Emt1581

If you've ever played Edward 40 Hands, you'd know......it doesn't work well at all

Alchemy
07-11-2010, 00:09
Panoid strikes deep into your soul it will creep. :upeyes:

DBZ220
07-11-2010, 06:58
There were some pieces put out by United Cutlery over the years. Not really sure if they still make any right now though. They were of questionable quality overall, and most definatly didn't have good blade steel. The arm straps were also pretty poorly done in most instances and weren't secure enough for actual heavy use. There was a store in my local mall here that sold some of these items, and I have friends who purchased them. I believe they all hurt themselves somehow while playing with said "knives".
Almost all of these pieces fall into the Super-Mall Ninja category, and should only be kept for novelty in most cases, as actual use could be harmful, mostly to the user.

waynejitsu
07-19-2010, 16:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1nEgn8Bgio&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wv9ZhomnFw&feature=related

BlackPaladin
07-20-2010, 01:38
The OP is kidding :), ........................and if by chance he isn't, he should be embarrased

fredj338
07-20-2010, 17:50
And what would be wrong w/ just carryin a good one hand opening folder?:faint:

w4004p
07-21-2010, 12:46
OP -

glad to hear your love affair with cutlery dates back so far. mine does, as well. it was actually an incident that took place in daycare that started my life long relationship with sharp pointy things.

i, too, was an armed youth and as such had to get quite creative in regards to concealment. not only did i like the idea of not getting arrested or having my tools confiscated, i had to make it by my parents without them realizing i was carrying a 10" fixed blade :cool:

the habit of designing carry methods actually carried over into adulthood and i now run a business making sheaths and holster (see my sigline).

short answer - NO. sorry, but it just aint happening, dude :frown: i made a dive sheath for a member that attaches to the calve with rubber straps. the same thing could be done for an arm, but it would be pointless. if you need to draw your knife, you would not be able to be using your support hand for anythingelse like pushing or parrying. if you actually wanted it attached to your arm with the blade stuck out, it would really need to be bolted into your radius (the big bone in your arm) to be as solid as simply gripping the knife in your hand.

all in all, it's just hollywood, man. while it could be done, it would be a HUGE step backwards in actual usefullness. BUT, if you play Assassin's Creed, you'll get to use one - Altair carries one on his forearm and it works great :cool: