My new RIA compact [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My new RIA compact

jethro21
07-10-2010, 23:43
First let me say, I will put pics up tomorrow after I get home from church.

I had been looking around for a cco and received a wonderful offer from a member here on a great gun with a great price, who waited while I tried to get the money together, but I couldn't swing it in the long run. Feeling a little down, I was looking around on gunbroker and found a great deal on a RIA tactical compact which had 2 mags through it. I own a RIA GI and have every confidence in the product, so I bought it.

After some transfer headaches (and an experience with a local store I won't use for transfers ever again) the gun arrived today. The gun is solid and feels great. It has slight, slight side to side slide movement, and very slight grip safety side to side movement. I mean it when I say slight. The trigger feels like a wide trigger and is on par with the $500-$700 guns I have been messing with lately.

I bought a Wilson mag and some VZ 320 grips in grey/black. Put on the new grips when I got home and it looks sweet (sorry no pics yet).

So I decided to fiddle with the mags in the gun. I loaded the original mag with my department issued Speer 230gr hollowpoints. When I hand cycled the slide (slingshotted?) it chambered everytime. It choked when I used the slide release though.I tried the same with the Wilson mag, and it chambered every hollowpoint using the slide release.

Well now I was feeling pretty good. I took the 2 empty test casings which came with the gun, loaded them in the Wilson mag and the whole process repeated. The gun chambered the empty casings using the slide release. The original mags wouldn't chamber the empties.

I don't know if this is a testament to the gun, to the Wilson mag or to both, but I am impressed so far. I know this does not mean I will see the same results on the range, but this first impression was extremely favorable.

Will post pics tomorrow and hope to have a range report monday.

steve1911
07-10-2010, 23:54
Congrats, sounds like a keeper.:thumbsup:

1911club#410

HAIL CAESAR
07-11-2010, 00:18
First let me say, I will put pics up tomorrow after I get home from church.

I had been looking around for a cco and received a wonderful offer from a member here on a great gun with a great price, who waited while I tried to get the money together, but I couldn't swing it in the long run. Feeling a little down, I was looking around on gunbroker and found a great deal on a RIA tactical compact which had 2 mags through it. I own a RIA GI and have every confidence in the product, so I bought it.

After some transfer headaches (and an experience with a local store I won't use for transfers ever again) the gun arrived today. The gun is solid and feels great. It has slight, slight side to side slide movement That is not a bad thing at all., and very slight grip safety side to side movement. I mean it when I say slight. The trigger feels like a wide trigger and is on par with the $500-$700 guns I have been messing with lately. They are coming out with good triggers. Much better than Springer Loaded's.

I bought a Wilson mag and some VZ 320 grips in grey/black. Put on the new grips when I got home and it looks sweet (sorry no pics yet).

So I decided to fiddle with the mags in the gun. I loaded the original mag with my department issued Speer 230gr hollow points. When I hand cycled the slide (slingshotted?) it chambered every-time. It choked when I used the slide release though.I tried the same with the Wilson mag, and it chambered every hollow point using the slide release.

Well now I was feeling pretty good. I took the 2 empty test casings which came with the gun, loaded them in the Wilson mag and the whole process repeated. The gun chambered the empty casings using the slide release. The original mags wouldn't chamber the empties. Don't get hung up on feeding cases, it don't mean a thing unless you have figured out a way to shoot empties.

I don't know if this is a testament to the gun, to the Wilson mag or to both, but I am impressed so far. I know this does not mean I will see the same results on the range, but this first impression was extremely favorable.

Will post pics tomorrow and hope to have a range report Monday.

RIA is putting out a darn fine inexpensive 1911.

Cerebrus
07-11-2010, 00:35
:agree:
http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/handguns/1911-style/p/rock-island-armory-1911a1-45acp-new/cPath/16_365/products_id/2861

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/handguns/1911-style/p/rock-island-armory-1911a1-csp-3-5in-45acp-new/cPath/16_365/products_id/3741

bac1023
07-11-2010, 06:11
Congrats! :cool:

Looking forward to pics...

jethro21
07-11-2010, 16:13
Here are some pics, I would like to take photos like Bac, but I can hardly figure out how to use the friggen camera.

Hokie1911
07-11-2010, 16:19
RIA makes a helluva nice gun for the money. Nice score. :thumbsup:

glock2740
07-11-2010, 16:47
Here are some pics, I would like to take photos like Bac, but I can hardly figure out how to use the friggen camera.
Congrats! I love mine.

jrs93accord
07-11-2010, 16:51
Nice pistola. The grips look good on it too.

ctfireman
07-11-2010, 17:36
Nice lookin gun!

GunFighter45ACP
07-12-2010, 07:33
nice! It's really hard to beat RIA in their segment.

Tactical black
07-12-2010, 08:20
Congrats it looks nice.

thecableguy
07-12-2010, 17:20
I wouldn't get rid of mine for anything. I love the grips on yours.
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu83/mannyrosa/weapons/Picture006.jpg

glock2740
07-12-2010, 18:48
Grips on a 1911 are like tires and wheels on a car or truck. :thumbsup:

Nicko
07-12-2010, 19:58
Very nice. Congrats :cool:

jethro21
07-13-2010, 19:17
I am pretty darn pleased with gun. I got out and shot it yesterday, prolly around 250 rounds. With factory 230gr umc hardball it was 100% flawless.

After I shot all I had, I moved to some reloads I whipped up the night before, 225gr swc. This load was one my buddy had already set up the press for. The results for this load was about 75%, which I don't attribute to the gun. All the malfunctions were FTRB, which might make me (an admitted newb) think springs, however with ball it didn't have that issue. I also loaded up some 230gr copper plated RN and that functioned. The upside, it was very accurate. I attached a pic of the target used. I am not a great shot by any stretch, but it grouped quite well, the rounds on the bottom were a rapid fire.

Trigger was awesome, but then I can't really compare it to anything other than a buddy's springer and my other RIA. I really enjoy shooting this gun. I wish I had loaded more ball just to shoot it without any worries of malfunctions. I also need to grab some HP and see how she shoots.

All and all, this gun is a lot of fun and if it performs well, will become a frequent carry piece.

Not the best review but I will say that I am impressed with the quality, fit and function of this <$500 investment.

HAIL CAESAR
07-13-2010, 19:22
Sounds good to me. I wouldn't get all wrapped up about the SWC's hanging up, sometimes they can be tricky to get set up right to feed in a gun.

The worst case scenario is that your gun only likes ball profile ammo. That is fine because there are a pot full of ball profile hollow point ammo that will likely feed fine.

xrmattaz
07-14-2010, 05:30
My new RIA Compact doesn't much care for my SWC reloads either, those I'll save for my G21 and Kimber. HP's are iffy as well. Still not "broken in, though".

Sure does like ball ammo, though....either factory or reloads! DT Gold Dot in the snout and a magazine full of factory ball, should get the job done.

krunchnik
07-14-2010, 12:04
You have definately picked a decent carry pistol,for the money they are great,and pretty simple to add goodies too also.I use mine as a back up carry in the event my EMP quits working.
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx272/krunchnik/IMG_1091.jpg
This is mine with a few add ons